Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Martial icons and archetypes.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    yep. Some films don't need a sequel. Like, "Deliverance." Who wants to see Ned Beatty going back to his job, walkin in all bowlegged, and sitting on a rubber donut.
    Funny thing, you didn't really see Ned Beatty in any films for quite awhile, until Superman. It must suk being typecasted.
    A bit of a turn-about from his first inclination to be a member(?) of the clergy.
    His early literacy is open to question, since he changed his mind and decided to become a "thespian".
    Last edited by bakxierboxer; 11-28-2008 at 10:23 PM.

OK. SO of all these "types" which is the ideal?

I'd have to say for a man my age it should be, what was his name, Kwan Yin? Obi-Wan's master?

Centered. Determined in his ways.

Later in life, Yoda seems more ideal. At peace with what is. Not trying to force change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    OK. SO of all these "types" which is the ideal?

I'd have to say for a man my age it should be, what was his name, Kwan Yin? Obi-Wan's master?

Centered. Determined in his ways.

Later in life, Yoda seems more ideal. At peace with what is. Not trying to force change.
    Actually, the problem with Yoda was has reluctence to accept that the dark side MUST exist in harmony with the light side, and in that, even he was flawed and "short sighted".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

ttt for 2019!

Follow the link to see the vid. Vimeo isn't embedding properly here.

Mountain Monks on Vimeo

The Yamabushi in northern Japan practice a once forbidden ancient religion. While their tradition is at risk of disappearing, it offers a way for those seeking a different path in Japan‘s society.

Walking barefoot through rivers, meditating under waterfalls and spending the nights on mountaintops - that is the way of the Yamabushi. They walk into the forest to die and be born again.

Their teachings of Shugendō 修験道 were first established 1400 years ago and peaked in popularity during the 17th century, when Yamabushi visited around 90 percent of all villages in northern Japan. The monks were said to have magical powers and served as advisors to samurai and warlords.

In the late 19th century, when Japan opened itself to the west and moved from a feudal state towards industrialization, their religion was forbidden. Only the monks of Yamagata prefecture in northern Japan practiced the tradition in secret. Their isolation near the three holy mountains of Dewa helped them to save their customs.

Today, their religion is not forbidden anymore, but there aren't many left who practice it either. Some schools have opened their doors to allow women and foreigners. They offer private courses to help maintain their sacred places:
    yamabushido.jp/
    I don't remember saying this, but it does sound like me. And the mention of Yamabushi is what made me post this here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    Something that Gene said on one of my other threads made me think about this. He stated that one of the reasons Shaolin monks are placed on a pedestal is because they are iconic. He said that there really aren't many martial icons out there. Ninjas, Samurai, and Shaolin monks are pretty much the order of the day. I'd agree that these are perhaps the most well known icons but I'm trying to think of others and breaking down those three icons. In a sense, these icons can be described as archetypes. They embody certain philosophies and represent a way of life. I think that many people today are disappointed with Shaolin monks because they don't necessarily fit on the pedestal that people create. It is also important to remember that in the past Shaolin monks, or any of those icons, did not always fit the bill either. What are some of your thoughts on this topic? What other martial icons/archetypes can you think of? I'll start out. I'll break down the Samurai icon into the fiercely independent ronin and the loyal vassal. Another icon I'll throw in there is the Yamabushi and the Wudang priest.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart