Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positive Wah Lum Thread

Positive Wah Lum Thread

Ok guys, here we go.....

I know that MC learned a Shaolin form (emptyhand) in the 80's called Shau Hung Chan. It dated back to the T'ang Dynasty and was very traditional. My question is this: Is this the same form that TF did so well? Or did TF learn that one in China?

Also, I have some info that states that Ching Yeung was a member of the I Ho Chuan society. The I Ho Chuan society was a secret society that participated in the infamous "Boxer Rebellion". Has anyone else heard this? (This may be common knowledge, I don't know). If this is true, does anyone have information/insight on the implications of this? For example, is the I Ho Chuan society known for longfist or maybe even Southern systems? (which may help account for the Southern influence in the WL system)

Any and all replies will be appreciated.

Jack
    "Do not follow in the footsteps of the men of old, seek what they sought"

Not sure about Shau Hung Chan, but ...

I did look up some info on Ching Yeung (abbot of the Wah Lum temple who taught Lee Kwan Shan). It was sketchy, but did say that CY was a stick fighter with the secret society and knew a Shaolin stick form.

Implications? Well, other martial artists probably took refuge at Wah Lum around the same time, so CY could have picked up some additional skills. Also, I wonder if I Ho Chuan drew members from different MA styles, or if they all studied the same system?

As far as Southern influence -- I think Hua Lin said that Master Chan's family style (Mok Gar?) is southern, and Wah Lum has a close relationship with Lee Koon Hung Choy Lay Fut. So perhaps much of the southern flavor is 6th generation forward?

Good thread, JS, thanks for starting it up.

Sam
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

The form that TF did he called 5 animals I believe. I have it on tape (I think I still have it somewhere). This was not learned from MC as far as I know. I think he knew this form before coming to WL but I could be wrong.

LKS

I have heard rumors that Chan Pui and some sifu's are in the process of writing a book about Lee Kwan Shan. I bet when that book comes out it will answer alot of the question raised on this forum about LKS/Ching Yeung, etc.

Woliveri
    I personally saw T.F. do this 5 animals at the Temple! What an inspiration. I also have him on video in China kicking butt. I believe he learned this form from a dignitary visiting Spendid China.

Olethros
    This book on LKS/Chng Young would be very interesting, both for the die hards and the skeptics.

Exclamation

Some of my positive Wah Lum experiences: Unlimited workout schedule at the school. One-on-one training. Body conditioning—don’t hit my boys, though, please. I’m faster, stronger, quicker, and more powerful than I ever was. My sihings spar with me, and they hit me much less now. I learn applications every class. I discover applications and show them to my sifu and sihings for critiques. I fight much better, but I learn not to fight. I have another family. I get a good physical workout every class. I am in China studying (with my sifu’s blessing and support). I learn how to curb negative behaviors. I’ve learned forms from my SiGung. I learn Chinese history and philosophy. I develop and practic fellowship. I run faster. I have fun with my kung fu family outside of classes. I discover and learn to develop my strengths and strengthen my weaknesses. My better half touches me more. I learned to do drywall. People at work commented on my positive disposition and actions. My fundamental thinking changed for the better; I am a better person.
    Be effortlessly calm, still, and reflective.

Good post, WW. I've had almost the same experiences.

Except I haven't learned to do drywall yet ... is that an advanced form?
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

REading?

ww

So you're saying that you have gotten a lot more reading done? Well enjoy it while it lasts ...ironhead awaits. HAHAHAHAHAHA(breath)HAHAHAHAHA(cough).D'OH!
    Ibay.......GO!!

WW

P.S.
    JUst wondering, do you still have your 4 day weekends there?
    Ibay.......GO!!

Thank you, SaM. I am glad we shared such experiences. I don't think all sifu's mastered "drywall" yet; I was fortunate to get one who did! I can ask if it will be taught as a seminar soon?

My brother 9dragonshijin, I do miss you and the family! I am glad ironhead has not beaten you. There may be hope for me! I am sorry I will not be there on the 31st; send me pictures--bloody or no.

I want to read in bed, but I don't know who is watching!

What is a weekend? I've forgotten already. I cannot wait to get back so I can rest! At the rate I am going, I will be ready for the '08 olympics (old slow-guy division). Of course, the smackdowns given here are different than yours, but they are smackdowns nonetheless.

Alas, I cannot fly yet; but I was forced to start some "tumbling boxing." The nine year olds here are tough; I hope I do not get another scar over my eye!

I was officially adopted by a Chinese family. They gave me a Chinese name. It is Zhang Yang Mai (pinyin here). It means "walks like a soldier in the sun"--or there abouts. I like the name; I think it means I have good posture.

I think I should stop now. People may learn that Wah Lum is a friendly and caring environment.

Smack ironhead for me!
    Be effortlessly calm, still, and reflective.

the thread is titled, Positive Wah Lum Experience... does Wah Lum get a lot of crap around here from people?

I've been with the Wah Lum for two years now and I can only sum up my experiences by quoting WhiteWhirlWind - being a member of the Wah Lum has bettered my a thousand fold.

I owe a lot to Master Chan and my Sifu.
    Ninjas are sooooooo sweet that I want to crap my pants!

jack squat

TF learned the 5 animal form from a guy in virginia.

Here's a funny story for you with TF.
    It was the closing ceremony for the 93 shaolin international tournament. We went out for dinner before the ceremony and
    we were celebrating with alot of Qingdao beer, well TF celebrated a bit too much. During the ceremony he had to go to the little boys room but since we were outside he didn't know where it was. He said he would be right back.
    Over an hour passed and it was almost the end of the ceremony, our guide was getting nervous because TF was missing, he was looking all over for him.
    Then TF came staggering back to us with blood dripping from his forehead. While he was watering the bushes he passed out and fell hitting his head on the ground. He layed there until he woke up. We wondered if anyone watered him while he layed there?

Then another time when we were in Orlando, we went out to club Juana. Again he had a few beers, while we had some entertainment at our table he fell asleep with his head resting against his arm. His mouth was open and he continued to drool the rest of the night. We told the entertainment that TF thought they were so hot he was drooling over them!

18 Elders
    Who did TF learn 5 animals from in Virginia? Guess I got my signals crossed. He blew the Chinese away with that form! TF couldn`t handle the alcohol, fall asleep at Club Juana,NEVER!

I just wanted to say some positive things about Wah Lum.
    I'll start with how great, I think my sifu is and how much I respect him.
    Also that I have some older brothers that I look up to.
    And I think Wah Lum its self is awsome. I just wish I would have started sooner.

Whitewhirlwhind... HEy man I hope china is treating you well,

and that your traing is going well also.

If you get the chance email me.

Whitewhirlwhind... HEy man I hope china is treating you well,

Whitewhirlwhind, what are you doing in China, training? Business? What parts of China and for how long? I plan to make it there for an extended period soon.