Thread: 1600 Bc

1600 Bc

Does anyone know of any martial arts that were around at about this time period? I am doing some research and could use some help!

What specifically do you mean by Martial Arts? There have been some wall drawings found in Africa (in Beni Hason I believe) that depict a complete Martial Arts system. I think they date back to about 2500 B.C. However, it is commonly accepted that the martial arts, while not originating at, went through a major refinement in China. So, at what point does a system of fighting become a MA?

Pankration was introduced in 648 BC.
    It was a combo of Boxing, Wrestling & kicking. Alot like today's MMA.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

yeap thanks badger got Pankration, trying to find anything else "formal" from around taht time period or earlier.
    Highlander, that is bascially what I am looking for, formalised systems. I have heard a lot of rumors about egyptian martial arts, etc,.... but have never heard any details.

egypt
    is
    the Place
    to be

Hope this helps

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Thanks Badger, I'll zip right over and check it out!

Get a copy of THE SPRING AND AUTUMN OF CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS 5000 YEARS by Professor Kang Gewu, Professor, Chinese Wushu Research Institutue.

Its the best piece for the factual history of Chinese martial arts available in the West.

Good Luck!

Thanks RAF I will check taht out!
    Badger, do you know any more info on this Egyptian boxing?

Thumbs up Badger, what do you think buddy on the left is doing

is that like a wing chun doublefist

http://www.sis.gov.eg/egyptinf/histo...l/sports07.htm

Stacey Guest
    Badger- I saw the pix of pancrase, MMA guys, even pancrase guys don't use those moves, but CMA do. Isn't that peculiar.

PANCRASE is a modern hybrid style of wrestling.
    PANCRASE is a tournament for MMA named for the aforementioned style, the winner being the King of PANCRASE .

There is no PANCRASE in the ancient world.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Wrestling...
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

try india or greece

greco roman has been around for a while.

also an indian prince developed a martial art around 3000BC, that might be the oldest. My money is on india, since the first civillizations (indus valley) where in india.
    sec

Places to start your search

"The Cradles of Civilization (3000-1000 BCE)"

Indus Valley Civilization @3000 BCE (Aryans arrive @2400 BCE)
    Egyptian Civilization @3000 BCE
    Sumerian Civilization @2800 BCE
    Chinese Civilization @2200 BCE
    Minoan Civilization @2000 BCE
    Hittite Civilization @1700 BCE
    Minaean Civilization @1200 BCE

-Hammond Historical Atlas of the World

Honorable mentions: recent archeological "digs" have found evidence of civilizations sunk off the coast of Japan and in the Andes along South America's Pacific Coast circa 7000 BCE! Perhaps there was a great Pacific Rim civilization that until now has been lost to us?
    Last edited by Stranger; 02-26-2002 at 07:11 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot