• Semi half-assed

21 41.18%
  • half-assed

8 15.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you train half-assed?

Thumbs up

cool
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Maybe my question was a bit misleading, I didn't mean half-assed as slacking in the class, but more like how often you train and how committed you are to your training.

When I started training was really gung ho, never missed classes and sat in the bus for a hour just to get there.

Now I usually train 4-8 hrs a week, all class time. Sometimes do I some bodyweight exercises at home. I think this makes me a martial hobbyist, I really enjoy my training, but it's not the end of all things.

hmmm, depends on mood
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

I used to train hard, till you avatar gave me an epileptic fit.

neat isn't it?

No.

I wouldn't say i'm half assed in my training. I train 2-3 hours 6 days a week. Right now my arm is a little injured so i don't train as intense as i usually do, but i'm stil seeing good results, so no i'm not half assed.
    "The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you."

"Fighting is not hitting, any fool can hit. Fighting is making the other guy miss. He misses, he gets scarred."

"Nudity and violence are what make a good movie. Violent lesbian nudity makes a great movie." - GDA

- Where's my Mook?

I train half assed. Then later I train the other half. Sometimes I don't train my ass at all. Other times I train my ass to walnut cracking perfection.

Is half-assed mean doing something martial only a few times each week? If you put in 2+ hours a day, are you semi-half assed? DEFINE YOUR TERMS!

When you said "half assed", you meant frequency and/or duration of training right? But not to actually train "half assed"?
    Bruce Lee said to NEVER train half assed, or when tired, because you will be less precise, and the next thing you know you will be accustomed to executing techniques with less precision, and will habitually do so even when not tired.
    Train for precision. Speed and force will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Reima Kostaja View Post
    I advise you to take a good hard look on your training and ask yourself are you a half-assed MAist?

I definately fall in the half-assed category.
    meh... the martial arts are like riding a bike, once you get it, you don't forget. it doesn't matter how hard you train, what matters is the intention behind it.

I train by osmosis. I sit in the kwoon and watch everyone else train hard and absorb their training.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I do every set of every drill with everything I got. The guys that don't, the guys that save themselves, are also the first guys to quit and tap when they're uncomfortable.

Injuries are also no excuse. A good coach will have you train around them. There's always something you can be doing.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I sometimes get in training ruts, or a comfort zone. I am very hands-on when I teach, always correcting and moving from one student to another, so I don't train when I teach. Some people do-they stand up there at the front looking awesome, while beginners are in the back row, flopping around like flounders. I can't do that.
    Usually, if I have a good seut-gohk or SPM class, I come back charged however.
    And lately, I have been inspired, so I am trainng alongside with my seniors.
    When I walk onto the floor in cotton pants and a school t-shirt, instead of my fancy-schmantzy satin uniform, they know they're in trouble!
    so yeah, basically half-assed....
    Last edited by TenTigers; 08-05-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Depends. I want to train hard every time but by the time i leave work and get to the kwoon sometimes Im mentally fried from my job and can't focus as hard as I should. Im only hurting myself. Somedays I truly suck. Other days Im so focused I ask myself why I cant be that intense everytime but you accept it.