Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Question for Those familiar with rap

Justa Man- thx alot for mentioning them!! Fecking opened my eyes on hip hop. Really, I look upon it in a different way now. That made me start digging after other stuff wich stands out. I dunno if u heard of Terror Squad, but they were awsome too..

I'll check that out, thx
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Rock NEEDS rap to survive. Rap does not need rock.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

But......isn't rap just aload of s!it spewed out by dumb fuk ignorant street scum, that have no education, and can't even sing.

Surely rap is just afro-american drug induced gibberish, that has nothing to do with anything apart from drugs and guns!

Or am I just getting old?

C..........
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk

colin, that was crackish

"...what is hip hop if it doesn't have violence?
    chill for a minute Doug E Fresh said silence."

name that quote that quoted another song.

Leo i wasn't tryin to dig you earlier dunn. I personally can't stand rap/rock fusion cause it's never done right 'cept for a few standouts. I thought Rage was good, even Mos Def has his band, Blackjack Johnson, they're ok too. Not to jock the Mighty Mos, but he's a talented cat. Sings Jazz, Rock, and can rhyme his arse off. He still can't touch Tip, who is dropping his new joint the end of April. Check that out. But to get at what I quoted earlier, Hip Hop culture's breeding grounds is on my gif. Without tha SOUTH BRONX we would have no rap. It started HERE. SO if anyone doesn't LIKE it, you really have to COME from the element to appreciate it in it's entirety. Sure the intellecutal conscious music spands across all nationalities & borders, but not everyone can identify with the thuggish image, and vice-versa. You need both. It's one aesthetic that needs the other to balance it out.

peas
    In mildness is the strength of steel

you're welcome kristoffer. but i think sharky should hunt down this colin character, glue earphones to his head and pump only the finest nwa cuts.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

Don't sleep on J-Hova...most just hear his poppy stuff, hes still got some dope rhymes. As far as non gangsta rap, well, if you think that they are too far and few between, then you are not looking in the right places. There is a lot of it around, look for more local stuff, check out yo flaco. There are also a lot of cool jam, acid jazz, hip hop groove type stuff coming around.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Rock NEEDS rap to survive. Rap does not need rock.
    Ummm, I seriously doubt that. Rock has been around much longer than rap. That is why there is Heavy Rock, Death Metal, Grunge...etc. Rap is starting to do the same as rock did by expanding into different styles of rap. Music styles have to evolve or they die. Notice no one raps like Run DMC today. It is going in different directions. I see Outkast being to rap what Nirvana was to rock in the early nineties. It is evolving into being more musical as well. Not just a beat and rhymes.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

alameda(san fransisco bay area), california
    Sorry Leonidas, I wasn't trying to explode or anything. Its cool that you like what ever you like, that was just my opinion about it. In the Bay Area we have a very diverse musical culture. Bay Area metal is pretty much the best and where it was born , same with west coast rap.
    ---------------------------"uh oh, what is going to happen next?"

"...what is hip hop if it doesn't have violence?
    chill for a minute Doug E Fresh said silence."

name that quote that quoted another song.

Self Destruction....

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

Not all rap is violent. And not all rap is strictly african-american. There are a lot of latinoes in the game now, some white ppl are stepping up too, and a few asains.(I'm talking about here in the States) To dub them "ignorant" is absurd. I'd like to see you paint a picture with words, and still have it rhyme. Or "storytell". Many talk about there lives and what they've seen and been thru. Which is why many hear about the ghetto things. But just because your from the ghetto, doesn't mean that your uneducated. It just means you can't relate.

On a different note, I really don't like Jigga. Or rockafella for that matter. I know he is good lyrically, but he just doesn't appeal to me.

I also like some rap/rock stuff. Could it be that those who don't favor it, also don't believe in MMA? Just pulling some of your chains. I'm listening to P.O.D. right now! If you don't like that, then don't say anything.

I can relate to u not liking Hovas more pop-ish songs like izzo and girlsgirlsgirls.. Not really brilliant But some of his other stuff, alot from the blueprints. Hearth of the city.. fecking great.
    Unsung is better though.. alot
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

That was a pretty sh!tty thing to say Colin. I dont like the the route most commercial rap music is going, but to call it "Afro American Drug Induced Gibberish" is just fu(king wrong. Sharky is proof that rap music has spread to other places in the world like Europe. I know its big in Asia and Japan especially. Thats the beauty of music, it can be made by anyone in the world and you dont have to speak the language of its origin. Maybe you should listen to some of it before you make stupid comments, and not just the garbage on MTV. I'd call rappers like Jigga man dumb fu(ks but not everyone rapping is a moron.....................Look at me defending rap, who would of imagined it
    Last edited by Leonidas; 03-06-2002 at 07:44 PM.

Colin
    I dont actualy agree with you BUT!!!
    Anyone who can walk in on a conversation about rap music and say what you just said is just to darn cool

Its my dream to walk into a new age hippy grunge concert with soap and a firehose and just start insisting that people wash

Take a large magnet along to a punk concert.

Dress up in a tux and go along to a gothic band

Go to a Michael Jackson concet and make loud accusations about child molestation. Keep screaming 'HE'S MELTING, HE'S MELTING KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE LIGHTS!' over and over again.

Go see Metalica and proclaim loadly that all metal fans are closet gheys. What the hell is wrong with pastel colours anyway!

you have my props that was a cool post
    Last edited by jon; 03-06-2002 at 07:55 PM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

my list...

Som of my favorite mcs are(in no particular order)
    Talib kweli -too many peeps by sleeping on him-
    Mos Def - needless to say
    (him and talib in blackstar)

Dead Prez- there album "lets get free" is hot (they studied some Martial arts too)

*Saul Williams - he is more kinda like a poet/philosopher but put out an album a few months back called "Ameythest Rock Star" - very different from most everything out

(sorry i didnt read all the threads so hope i didnt repeat ish)

peace,
    Wally

Yea real "cool" and "creative" way of stating your dislike of Hip Hop. You should take your act on the road.