Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a good strategy to continually hit your opponent's arm?

Is it a good strategy to continually hit your opponent's arm?

I have heard that some boxers do this so that their opponents' will eventually have a hard time lifting that arm to throw a punch. Do you think that this is an effective strategy? Thanks in advance.

Most street fights are over in under a minute or go down to the ground so i dont think there will be much time to attack the arm continuously

two points:

You have to have a big punch to do this effectively.

It's a ring fight strategy that applies only to long duration stand-up fights with no attacks other than strikes. 30 minutes of having your arms battered is really different from trying to win a street fight.

Smile

What MerryPrankster said.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Yes, it is effective if you hit the right spots (inside of upper arm, inside of wrist, on the egg-shaped muscle near the elbow).
    Monkey vs. Robot

kalistas, among other MAs, use this - they're called destructions - the theory behind it is that if you "take the bullets out of your opponents gun" then he'll be at an disadvantage. Not a godd idea to do this repeatedly though - In a real fight, you want to get it over and get out, not waste time making his limbs hurt.

For sport, it has several pluses. First, if that arm or leg is hurting, your opponent will not be able to use it as effectively. Second, it has a psychological effect. If you whack your opponent's limb every time he tries to strike, then he's gonna start thinking twice about throwing it out there.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

If you get the chance why not whack, chop, smash or otherwise beat the sh*t out of someone's arm? We train to do this, it's part of the reason for doing 3 star hits and other forearm conditioning drills.

if someone throws a roundhouse, we're taught to strike it - not just stick up your arm, but get a good base, wind up from the hips, **** the wrist back, and cut into his wrist... it hurts.

yeah, no doubt it's effective. We work that also, but in a fight, my thing is this :

chances are, with the high adrenaline rush of the situaiton, plus the moving reacting opponent who wants to kill you, you won't be able to hit the arm or leg in the proper spot with adequate force - if you are able to hit it at all. That especially applies to newbies.

There are too many factors there. not to mention the opponents pain tolerance. your strike may or may not hurt his limb enough to make him asbtain from using it. If I use a destruction in a fight, it will only be knock off his timing - similar to a jam or stopkick, or because he throws a roundhoue kick - and elbow to the shin or instep cause great pain, and there's no real setup for it - just pull your elbows in.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Deep Dog Crap

If your in a 5 round match and have time to pick apart your opponent, then great, attack the arms. In a timed fight with rounds, the adrenaline is countered with tactics. You have 'time' to work your strategy.

If, however, your in a street fight with no time limit and adrenaline rules the game - don't worry about the arms. If the fight lasts more than 90 seconds I would be very surprised so arm attacks are down right silly and should be avoided. Instead, work on the vitals to end the fight immediately. Especially if your a stand up fighter. If the guy your fighting indicates he is a ground warrior and your not - don't waste time on the arms - your dead if he gets you in the dirt. Attack and end the fight ASAP while your on your feet and in your element.
    Last edited by PhoenixPangaryk; 03-09-2002 at 07:34 PM.

Why not just continually hit the ribs? 'specially dem lil ones down at the bottom of the rib cage.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

cuz the arm is closer to you, therefore making your attack faster cuz it's a closer target. just a thought WD.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

I didn't notice the word "continually" when I typed my first response.

I wouldn't attack the arms "continually", but if somebody offered me a good target on their arm, I'd take it.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Re: Deep Dog Crap

Originally posted by PhoenixPangaryk
    If your in a 5 round match and have time to pick apart your opponent, then great, attack the arms. In a timed fight with rounds, the adrenaline is countered with tactics. You have 'time' to work your strategy.

If, however, your in a street fight with no time limit and adrenaline rules the game - don't worry about the arms. If the fight lasts more than 90 seconds I would be very surprised so arm attacks are down right silly and should be avoided. Instead, work on the vitals to end the fight immediately. Especially if your a stand up fighter. If the guy your fighting indicates he is a ground warrior and your not - don't waste time on the arms - your dead if he gets you in the dirt. Attack and end the fight ASAP while your on your feet and in your element.
    yeah, that's exactly what I was saying

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I'm not talking about trying to punch someone in the arm, I think that would be of limited value.

I realize that the chances of blocking a punch in a real fight are not all that great, but if I'm able to do it then BOOM, that is the limb destruction right there, no special go out of the way bs. That's one of the reasons that I'm conditioning my forearms, I don't know about y'all.