Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For the people in JKD cross training with something else...

bouncing

my oppinion is that bouncing is extremely importartant, as poeple here have said they make the opponent less aware of your movements and such, i personally doesnt bounce around so much due to the fact that im a bit overweigh , but, by just keeping my heels of the floor and shifting weight between my legs i stay fast and agile, so when i meet someone in a competition for example they dont see me as a fast moving opponent, but after a few surprising kicks to the head they learn
    and when im pushed back so i have to plant my heels i usually try to give a fast pushing kick to their thighs or stomach that will give me time to reposition.
    though if you are a light person i imagine "stance fighting" could be usefull in some occasions, but from my experience i'd say its always best to keep bouncing just to have alert legs

/björn

"bouncing for the sake of bouncing"

How do you know they are bouncing for the "sake" of bouncing? Have you fought them? Have you stepped in the ring with them? Making a statement like that is extremely big, and is usually only determined by someone with lots of experience in that art and others. How could you know for sure if you have no formal training in any martial art?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything...but martial arts and fighting are pretty serious so you NEED some kind of foundation before you can "create your own system"
    Hell Bruce had a foundation before he moved from it. I practice my own "way" of fighting too, but I only do that from years of grappling experience, JKD experience, etc.

Simply creating moves with your friend (who also has no martial arts experience) is not a martial art. I'm not trying to knock what you're doing. Don't get me wrong. I think people should express themselves in MA....but you can't make up something when you have no formal experience and call it legit. That's just my opinion.
    Train, research, study what you want to study, and put it into practice, but GET FORMAL training of some kind. Your posts, however passionate about MA, leave me thinking you don't have the experience to be "creating" anything.
    Please don't take offense. All that means is that foundation is important.

As far as the getting high stuff......well that's a whole other topic It's good that you at least aren't into it anymore.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....