Thread: a quick conditioning question

a quick conditioning question

I want to start toughening my shins and forearms. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to BEGIN? I am obviously not going to go out and just start kicking rocks and trees. My shins are extremely sensitive!
    I have heard something about a rolling bottle.......

Heavy bag would be a good place to start.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

A heavy bag would be as good a place to start as any.

I thought as much! I was going to start doing that tonight. Just wack away on it. any suggestion for reps? also, what next?

Ive read (on this website I think) about filling coke bottles with sand and rolling them up and down your shins.

Dunno. Kick a heavy canvas bag would be where I'd start.
    strike!

There's no real "next." Just keep doing it.

Old heavy bags do tend to settle, however, so the bottoms are usually very hard.

Next you might want to take a light stick (like a broomstick) and start tapping your shins with it. Maybe five minutes or so on each side to begin with. Go easy with the force in the beginning too.

I thought I heard something about a rolling pin but I'm not sure.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

MP is right. I used to kick the crap out of the bottom of my 50lb bag. Those are good too because the bottom hangs at a good height for powerful kicks.

Question

Now, I know some Muay Thai fighters are nuts for shin conditioning - but I never understood it. Can someone explain how you can condition bone? I can understand arm conditioning but shins? I'm not having a go here. I've seen the devasting kicks of Muay Thai. Just after an explaination. Does it work in the same way as arm condition? Just repetition improving the area?

Cheers.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

In a nutshell, yes.

Do your roundhouse kicks on a bag with emphasis on the shin making contact. Also, using a rolling pin, remember there are 3 points of conditioning for your shins, when you begin to feel around you will feel the 3 parts. Roll them every morning and every night.

Consitency is the actual key.

Good luck,

Amitoufu,

AOF
    Arhat of Fury