Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best sources of protein

Best sources of protein

On my previous thread, I got a lot of interetsing and helpful comments. The overall point seems to be that I need more protein. So, here's the thing. I don't eat meat more than once or twice a week at most. I don't believe the body is capable of processing too much red meat. Most people, especially Americans, carry up to two kilos (that's about four and half pounds!) of red meat in their intestine at all times. Unable to process it, the body wraps it in a mucous membrane and leaves it sitting there to slowly rot.

So, assuming you're still reading, not barfing up the steak sandwich you had for lunch, what are the best, most assimiliable sources of protein other than meat?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Eggs and soy are considered very good. There is new stuff coming up about soy all the time. Also, if you are looking to supplement, I'd suggest Max High 5....it's a combination of 5 different protein types. You should be able to find a product description here: www.maxmuscle.com
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

The protein in eggs is denatured when fried etc... that's why people eat/drink them raw. I can't handle that.

Small can of tuna (dunno precise weight sorry) is 33g of protein. I can't stand the taste of that though now, sorry. I used to have a can a day but now i can't stand it. I just have twice the portion of chicken/meat with whatever meal i am having.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

I didn't read your question properly.

That's cool man. Eggs and soy. Works for me so far. Tuna is cool. What else? I'm not into supplements, by the way. Too expensive and too much hassle.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

By the way. Can I boil eggs? Will they still have good protein then? Cos I'm a big fan of boiled egs and would happily eat more. Otherwise I guess I could come up with some kind of raw egg and soy milk smoothie.... hmmmm!

Cottage cheese, any cheese really. Watch out for fat though. Milk, powdered or normal. Dairy products and meat.

We are talking animals here, my man.

Protein is denatured (basically it dies (wannabe biologists - don't jump on me for saying that)) when you heat it. So it's gotta be raw baby. Some people like to eat their meat quite bloody and rare to preserve all the "goodness"

Like i said, dairy products and meat. Beans too.

meat includes fish.

jus to clear that up.

OK. So, form what I have so far, I need to start every day with a smoothie containing soy milk, cottage cheese, raw eggs and a little raw steak and tuna fish. Can I put honey in that to sweeten it up a bit!?

Unhappy

Make sure you set the blender to "high".

And the toilet lid to "open"!

No one mentioned nuts, seeds and beans?

Just because protein is denatured doesn't mean it's no good any more...at least for nutritional purposes. You body doesn't "need" protein, it needs amino acids, which make up protein. When you ingest protein, you body breaks it down to different amino acids and then uses them to build the kind of protein your body needs. So eat them boilded eggs, but leave out the yolk.
    Mindlessness is the enemy...

Re: Best sources of protein

Originally posted by Serpent
    Most people, especially Americans, carry up to two kilos (that's about four and half pounds!) of red meat in their intestine at all times. Unable to process it, the body wraps it in a mucous membrane and leaves it sitting there to slowly rot.

I've only eaten red meat about 3 or 4 times in the last 4 years. Where did you get this info?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

nuts!

... are good sources of protein and calcium. Don't worry about the fat if you're training regularly. They are also quite slow burning, so they are quite good more muscle repair, and endurance training.

Tuna is good, but do some research into where it comes from. Most of the sea glows brighter than Chimpy Bush these days. Mercury is a big problem.

Beans are good. If you're already eating lots of boiled eggs you won't need kungfu to KO people with that combo!

And BTW, I wouldn't wanna beat the bronze girls of Shaolin... just wrestlin em d be enough!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan