Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gaining strength without it showing

gaining strength without it showing

perhaps the title doesnt do the subject justice.

What im asking, is, is there ways of excerising, where you gain muscle strength but at the same time DON'T show it in your muscles.

I quite honestly hate huge biceps etc.. i want to know ways where i can build especially arm strength without developing large muscles in doing so.

I DON'T do weights so please dont suggest them, and i dont do any excersices that require objects other than myself. ATM i do pushups, reps here and there, it seems to be building my strength rather than my muscles (Which is good), and often i will go in the pushup position and hold myself for as long as i can at the lowest position without touching the floor, again it hasnt had an effect on my body shape.

I want to know 1) if what im doing will eventually lead to much larger looking muscles (in which case ill stop)
    2) are there any otehr excersises (mainly for the upper body), that will increase my strength WITHOUT increasing the overall size of my muscles significantly

Thx for help

Lordabu

Sure. Heavy weights, low reps, often, but not to failure. Will explain it further if other guys don't pipe in with it.

Well, if you don't do weights, you're screwed. Have a nice day. Progressive resistance (NOT progressive repetitions) make you stronger.

Enjoy.

(Try sandbags)

Heh. Didn't see the no weights stipulation. MP is right. There is only so much you can do without weights. Eventually you will need some sort of progressive resistance to get stronger. Until then you can do one-legged squats and one-arm push-ups & pull-ups. You can keep elevating your feet higher and higher for the one-arm push-ups until you are doing one-arm handstand push-ups. You will eventually need weights to pregress though. There are ways to weight train without gaining size. Good luck.

Watch out dude! What you're doing will make you HUGE!!!!! Haha, no, I'm kidding. Don't worry, you really can't build any substantial size with only pushups and stuff. I mean, you can get some size, but it's really only noticible if you're naturally skinny. Don't expect to look like Arnold, though.

I'm not saying you want to look like a bodybuilder, but why are you so opposed to size? When most people get a little size and definition they start thinking "hey, I look pretty cool." Hehe. Who would you like to look like? Bruce Lee?

Anyway, if you want to get strong without gaining size, then low reps and high weights are the way to go. Low numbers of sets, too, like two sets per exercise. But only do core exercises, such as bench press, squat, deadlift, pullups. That kind of stuff. If you keep the low reps high weights thing but you do bench, then dumbell flies, then triceps presses, the triceps pulldows, then shoulder presses, you will lose it's strength building with no size effects.

If you are really interested in this (getting strong without getting big), get a book called "Power to the People" by Pavel Tsatsouline. Using his methods I have set multiple new personal records in bench and deadlift and weighted pullups without putting on any weight at all.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Oops, I didn't see the no weights thing either.

Go to www.maxalding.plus.com and check out some of the old books there on old school strength training. Be weary, some are awesome, but some might be bad.

You should find cool stuff there like variations on one armed pushups, etc...

Btw, try one legged squats (weightless) if you haven't yet.

With no weights I would say one arm pushups, pullups, and one legged squats. You might gain a little size from the pushups, but nothing major. Probably not more than 1 inch on your chest if you are a beginner, less if you are used to doing pushups. But either way, it's hard to not get a pump when doing pushups. Just remember that a pump is temporary size brought on from increased blood flow to a certain muscle, and is not an actual increase in muscle size.

IronFist

hey now to explain myself.

the reason i dont like weights, is because i have seen, read and heard that they are not good for you. They can seriously mess up the body in later life. Plus our treasured ancestors never used weights to develop their bodies, so why should we?

I have a bit of tone already, but i dont want to go above it. I dont want to look anything like a body builder, and i dont want huge biceps.

Bruce lee, was a man i both respected yet disliked. I never liked that he had muscles, it goes against traditional martial arts. You will never see or hear of proper martial artists having bleeding muscles, yet he did. Most possess phenominal strength not only through the channeling of prana but also due to correct body developing, and most will not show any form of muscle. Ive always wondered how they are able to do this...

still thanks for your help so far, keep the suggestions coming..

Lordabu

"the reason i dont like weights, is because i have seen, read and heard that they are not good for you. They can seriously mess up the body in later life. Plus our treasured ancestors never used weights to develop their bodies, so why should we? "

Where did you hear this? Besides, I bet those ancestors used a lot of heavy things.

"I have a bit of tone already, but i dont want to go above it. I dont want to look anything like a body builder, and i dont want huge biceps. "

Then don't work biceps. Seriously, does anyone know how hard it is to gain muscle naturally? I mean, 10lbs a year would be considered good right?

"Bruce lee, was a man i both respected yet disliked. I never liked that he had muscles, it goes against traditional martial arts. You will never see or hear of proper martial artists having bleeding muscles, yet he did. Most possess phenominal strength not only through the channeling of prana but also due to correct body developing, and most will not show any form of muscle. Ive always wondered how they are able to do this... "

Everyone has muscles, how would people move without them? Okay, so they weren't ripped like bruce lee. It's probably becaseu Bruce had a low bodyfat %. Also, Aikido founder Moreihei Ueshiba was 5 feet tall and weighed 180 lbs. Ueshiba worked with heavier than normal farm tools to condition himself.

If you really hate growing muscle, I suggest you find a good I mean a very good internal arts teacher. I'm talking about the best such as Chen Xiao Wang, Zhu Tian Cai, et al types. That way, you'll learn a different way of getting strength rather than weight training. In fact, you wouldn't be doing weight training at all in that until the later years wear you'll have to shake poles, swing kwan daos around. Oh yeah, you will develope muscles around weird places like your dantien area and legs though.
    Last edited by Kumkuat; 04-09-2002 at 11:19 AM.

Oh boy

(warning, this reply might seem sarcastic or mean, but don't take it that way... i'm just very apprehensive right now so it's coming out in my response )

the reason i dont like weights, is because i have seen, read and heard that they are not good for you.

Hmm, I've read that steroids cause cancer, but that doesn't mean it's true.

They can seriously mess up the body in later life.

They can seriously mess up the body right now if you drop a heavy one on your head

Plus our treasured ancestors never used weights to develop their bodies, so why should we?

Do you mean kung fu ancestors? How about iron rings or 108lb kwan daos? How about all the training they do in the movies where they carry big buckets of water long distances? The reason they used buckets of water is because they didn't have dumbells

I have a bit of tone already, but i dont want to go above it. I dont want to look anything like a body builder, and i dont want huge biceps.

Don't worry about getting big. Most people don't even have the genetic potential to get big in the first place. Your tone is because of low bodyfat.

Bruce lee, was a man i both respected yet disliked. I never liked that he had muscles, it goes against traditional martial arts.

Uh... having [developed] muscles is against traditional martial arts? I'd rather "have muscles" than look like one of these fat ass mcdojo blackbelts.

Listen, it's like this. If you develop muscles, and your bodyfat is low enough, you will see them. If you develop muscles, and you have a high bodyfat percentage, you will not see them. If you have no muscles AND a low bodyfat percentage, you will look like a twig.

You will never see or hear of proper martial artists having bleeding muscles, yet he did.

Bleeding muscles? Can you clarify? Do you just mean like big, visible muscles? Have a look a sifu Allen. This guy has huge muscles and he's pretty "traditional" from what I hear.

The reason Bruce Lee's muscles were so visible is because he had a very low bodyfat percentage. In fact, I would say that his level of bodyfat was unhealthily low... his muscles were not "big" by any stretch of the imagination, they were just very visible because of his low bodyfat.

Kumkuat said It's probably becaseu Bruce had a low bodyfat %.

That's absolutely correct

He also said: Then don't work biceps

Yeah, but don't neglect them to the point where they become a weak link. If you're going to work out one muscle you might as well work out everything. Just don't do bicep exercises for mass and you'll be ok.

inic said:
    think u've watch matrix or anime too much. theres no physical way to get a lot stronger without gaining size... it is true though that strength is the DENSITY of the muscle, NOT SIZE! which explains why a little guy like me uses same weights as someone twice his size.

I think you're on the right track here... if you are a total beginner any workout you do will put on some mass... however, once you get to a point you will not gain any more size or weight but your strength will continue to improve. Note, however, that this point is far below being considered "big"

they excercised 24/7 and were probably in better shape than most people today... they couldnt get instant dinners or sit and watch the tele. they were all strong, but still had the body to show it!

Yeah, people from then were probably in better physical shape due to their lifestyle, but we have better food and nutrition and medicine. Most of them probably had athletic bodies, except for the people who had fat genes.

Finally, to anyone worried about getting "too big" from lifting weights, I doubt you eat enough to get big anyway, so stop complaining

[ /rant ]

Sorry, I told you I was in a crazy mood. Hope no one took offence.

IronFist

Talking

=p point taken

I think I'm in the same crazy mood as ironfist, so i'm going to try and not say much here. I'm kind of in a ****y mood, sorry to inic if I sounded like a ***** in his thread. Anyway, lordabu, There are ways to acomplish what you want. there is alway a way. I suggest you take a look at a book called, "Dynamic Strength," by Harry Wong. It's a pretty interesting program. No weights involved. The bigest downside is that it take a long time to get into. give it a try if you want, and let me know if you have any questions.
    I am nothing.

It's only like 7-10 dollars if I remember correctly.
    I am nothing.

Weights = good.
    Periodization training is a great way to increase strength without gaining too much bulk. Check out IronMag.com for a periodization workout. And also, I say why always stick to the 'old' ways of training? The new ones are there for a reason, its because they are better. In this case change is good. Most martial artists train in an archaic fashion, don't limit yourself by doing this.
    "Training is one of the most neglected phases of athletics. Too much time is given to the development of skill and too little to the development of the individual for participation." - Bruce Lee

Qi dup. I've seen that book. I thought dynamic tension would ultimately build size. But my basis for thinking that is Stone Warrior, which is the only dynamic tension program I've ever been exposed to/done.

Wait a sec, I didn't get huge on Stone Warrior. Oh wait a sec again, my diet sucked when I was doing that because I didn't know anything about eating for size.

I wonder if I did Stone Warrior again, knowing what I know now, how much different my results would be?

IronFist

for improving strength with existing muscles, i second the dynamic tension