Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racism in the MA!

red_fists:

"Most JMA will react when they are told that they are doing a watered down version of CMA or similar. "

Heh in that case most CMA will react when they are told that they are doing a watered down version of IMA (indian) or similar.

Lordabu

exactly. everyone wants to think that what they're doing is the best...

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I go and train Chi Kung in the park down the road from my office at lunch if its a nice day. I hide in a corner away from all the townie kids cause otherwise I'd get no end of questions, probably shortly followed by abuse. And odd looks from dog walkers. And like you say the "do you think you can take me / wanna fight?" mentality.

England doesn't exactly have a proud tradition of respect for outside influences and practices.

hehe. Know what u mean Scotty! I train outside whenever i can. it's not the dog walkers that bother me, it's the dogs! They don't come beyond a kinda circle around me, but just stand there barking away when i do qigong! The owners must think i'm nuts or something

I don't think most types of qigong would really cause the 'do u think ur hard?' attitude in others, but something like gong fu or karatre etc. certainly does (ime anyway).

Hey, what's with the text under ur nickname? is everything ok?

david

When I was in Japan I did the usually Karate, Judo, Kendo, Jujutsu thing like many othe kids but I also picked up Hakkyokuken and Hikesho (Bajiquan and Piqua chuan respectively) there as well I got more instresting remarks when pple saw me brandish a Chinese broadsword then my bokuto. As far as actual 'RACE" goes "Ore was kokujin da!" and I have had my share of racial incidents. (There was a time I heard a little girl whisper about our 'tails' to a friend. I responded in japanese the we keep ours in the same place you do. She found it funny too.)
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

i think if people are unsure about something, or if it is something out of place (ie. someone practising MA in a park), then it will probably get a response, even if it is not overtly shown.

It's the same as the response i get when i go in to a chinese restaurant and order dim sum in my (limited) cantonese. usually one of surprise!

good reply though Asia

david

David, thanks for asking, I'm fine

It was a reference to my old signature, Passed the 500 (posts), I was gonna change it to Coming up to 6, then I thought I'd just change it to Getting Sadder by The Post to signify my growing dependence on KFO.

Yeah, Qigong takes a bit of explaining to those who think all MA is Karate. I am actually going to post a thread for you about your Quigong in the Qigong forum. Check it out, my PM is unobtainable from work.

no worries mate Just wanted to make sure if it was sad as in or sad the other way... i just realised the same as you - i'm well over 400 now and most of it has been utter cr@p!

i'll look at the thread, cheers.

david

us UK guys have to stick together (though few in number we make up by sheer Brilliance )
    Last edited by dezhen2001; 04-15-2002 at 07:08 AM.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but....

I've actually noticed Americanisms in my speech and writing from hanging around on KFO.

Weird, huh?

Anyway..... I'l get me coat.....

there's racism in Chinese martial arts

All anyone ever hears are the Chinese names. William Cheung, Hawkins Cheug, etc. Where is everyone else? No Americans? No one from Europe? ridiculous
    I do not racism against Chinese people.*

Actually, Emin Botempze's quite visably non-Asian... But, yeah, in the Wing Chun world, most masters and heads of the various lineages are asian. I don't think it's really racism though, as WC's really only been seen here for about two generations (even less for some lineages), so there's really not enough time to start seeing that many high-ranking practicioners, IMHO.

Likewise, you could say the same thing about western martial arts. When's the last time you saw a heavy-weight champion boxer who was a Gypsy or _______ (fill in ethnicity of choice here). How many Eskimos are master instructors of bata (Irish Stickfighting)?

It all just depends on your perspective.
    "Let's play Soviet history-- you're Trotsky, I'm an icepick."

Guys, I don't know what's more annoying to me...the racism (which i dispise anyway) or the sexism. I don't know how many times i have heard "You're a girl, what do you think you could do to me?" or "Aren't you afraid you are going to BREAK A NAIL?" That's the MOST annoying! But, I do agree...people always want to think what they are doing is the best. And in Kung Fu's case, it is...so it's neither here nor there! Just joking. There are still a lot of people that don't feel other races should be learning the arts!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

I hear you Chicka, but lets let these ignorant poor minded people (no one in particular) have their speculation of things and we will laugh at them anyway

Originally posted by dezhen2001
    [
    us UK guys have to stick together (though few in number we make up by sheer Brilliance ) [/B]
    Dont flatter yourself
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

LMFAO...

Tae Li, you rock! That was hilarious!
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

hehehe, wondered if anyone would notice that (hence why i posted it, to see what happened).

how r u doing anyway? me, premier and karma are in the chatroom if u wanna join us?

david