Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Songs/Poems of Pak Mei Gung Fu

Pakmei Guest

Gates/Doors in the couplet

Basically, in Chinese Gung Fu.
    Your arms are known as "Kiu or Bridge"
    Hands are "Sau meaning hand"
    Wirsts, Elbows and Shoulders are known as "Doors or Gates between your bridge".

The rest of the couplet i'll let you decipher! This is a journey of the self. It gives you the chance to understand how Bak Mei was and has been passed down through the generations.

The more you practise; the more you'll understand this couplet and what it's telling you.

Dave Stevens

meltdawn Guest

Ok, I'll take a go at it...

"10 Important Points of Pak Mei. "

"3 Doors / Gates, Ba Gwa Strength."

Gates. Always 3 through which power issues. Bat gua - 8 triagrams? Like from taiji, triagrams relate to hard/soft properties? Indicating the changing. Gates swing, they open AND close. If power can come out the gate, the gate can close to power. If one can open and close the 3 gates, strength is proven. External?

"4 Doors / Gates, Fast like Wind & Rain."

4? Possibly referring to stages of ging development? Wind and rain, powerful force but soft. Speed is not borne of strength. Internal?

"Tun To Foa Chum, takes hard work & training."

See TTFC thread! Cannot learn all from written word. One must teach the body and practice, practice, practice. Training means correct practice.

"6 Powers hold tight, then you achieve internal power."

Don’t know the names for 6, external powers? Close to mine I think. But meaning if external is correct, internal is achieved?

"9 Step Push, to achieve centre of Power."

Since it’s a form (I think?), the primary footwork relating to finding your center? 9 step shows as number from above, proves style’s particular balance? If studied will show you the root of all bak mei power generation principals?

"18 Magical Palms is the fiercest."

No clue, don’t study bak mei. Sounds like a ride at Disney World.

"Chase empty, Grab / Strike full with fierceness."

There is so much in this one! Don’t waste, in chase or strike. Execute with intent. Be soft and hard. Be strong and fast, because of knowledge and practice. Stick, shadow, follow (empty) 3 gates open (full)? USE what you have learned.

"Any variations you still achieve the same objective."

It’s all good!

"Master all these; learn Fierce Tiger comes out of Woods."

If you understand the external principals, you already know the form?

"To achieve the height of enlightenment, 5 Elements of Earth’s forces."

Esoteric reference to religios principals or bak mei power? If you master the form, you’ve got the internal, and have achieved enlightenment?

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

[This message was edited by meltdawn on 02-01-01 at 07:32 AM.]

Sam Guest

Songs/ Poems of Southern Praying Mantis

Does anyone know the Songs/Poems to Southern Praying Mantis Of Grandmaster Lam Sang See Line?

MoQ Guest

Dangyerlongwindedwoman...;)

I thought a couplet was a 2-liner?

All these little songs and poems are apparently not all that olde and each post CLC lineage has their own, so is this a Hakka thing??

meltdawn Guest

Dangyerobstreperousman ;)

Couplet, poem, song, yadda yadda yadd. Have to see it written in Chinese. Dave, though it's 10 points, is it written in couplet style?

MoQ, what you mean by "olde"? How you know other "post CLC" lineages each have their own? Give them to me! I demand more knowledge from those who have it!

Sifu! Sifuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi