Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Wing Tsun Girl

i'm just upset that she couldn't swat away that naughty fly that was at the back of his neck..........
    oops sorry, just watched it again and realised she was brushing his hair.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

Unhappy OH DEAR...

Oh dear....
    Dai yut tow dai

Thumbs up

WOW! Sign me up!

That was rubbish.

Her attacker does one hugely telegraphed swipe, then stands there while she does her million strikes. He doesnt even try to counter.

At any point when she is close he could have just bodyslammed her.

And I have to agree with the previous posters, the slappy downward strikes look... unconventional, shall we say. What ever happened to the stance, rooting, power from the floor?
    Your lineage may vary.

Unhappy

I guess I posted the link because I was surprised by the WT woman's footwork and stance. Namely, the lack of.

I experienced WT in Eastern Europe and it was murderous Footwork was much emphasised. Liked the WT org abroad, but don't train it here in England.

Was interested to see what you guys/girls thought about the clip. Ta for the answers/response.
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Was that real?

Those slaps looked like like they coulded hurt an infant. And who throws one puch or kick the stands there a get beat on. Besides that the clip was at such a low resolution you could never tell if what was really going on. If someone finds out where this is from or how to get a copy of a quality clip let me know.

Well.....she displays more heart and even fights better than alot of instructors I've seen, who don't fight at all, but talk alot about it. (chuckle)

Some of you should try imagining yourselves up there trying the same, and wonder to yourselves if you're really that much better.

Is it just me, or does what she's doing seem very karate-like? Besides the bad punching (circular and hammerlike) and no footwork - does it seem very choppy and broken with almost no flow. No offense, but I have'nt really seen any good flowing WT(Wing Tsun) at all. Are there any good clips out there that I might've missed. I have seen clips of people chain punching (alot)and alot of Muay Thai-like elbows and knees. Where's the beautiful flow that is in Wing Chun? Powerful, but relaxed, constant and flowing.

My apologies if I've p!ssed anyone off with this.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Demonstration

That clip was probably a demonstration intended for publicizing WT to non-martial artists. It doesn't really matter how much "flow" the techniques are because people wouldn't recognize it anyway. When I've been involved in demos, the goal has always been hilighting the best selling points of WT and doing a little bit of flashy stuff to grab people's attention. What WT people show the public and what they show in classes are not one and the same. I'm sure most other lineages have the same policy. After demos like this, I sometimes feel a little lame. If we're going out there with totally staged stuff, I feel like our demo is no better than a "touch the person and flip him twice" Aikido circus. Does anyone have any good tips for giving demonstrations of Wing Chun that don't look fake? What about demos that are good for luring practitioners of MA styles?

Please consider this question from the point of view of what a non-wing chun person would both enjoy and understand. I've noticed that a lot of the time on this forum, people forget that there are people in the world who don't know what a pak sau is.

Response to Mun Humg

Mun Hung,

Let me start this off by saying that I am a WT student, and I am not ****ed off, in the least, by what you wrote in your last post. You were only stating your opinion and you ask a legitimate question. But, I think you might be getting the wrong idea about WingTsun from the clips on the internet.

I agree with you that, what was shown in that video did not look much like WC/WT. But, for entertainment value I'll give it an 8 (I'm probably biased, as I said I study WT ). My question is what you meant by "flowing WT"? If I understand what you are looking for, you may be looking for it in the wrong places. Most of the video clips that I have seen on the net that demonstrate WT, have been meant to portray real life/self-defense type situations (if that is possible). In that environment we are taught to end the situation as soon as possible, and not to let the situation flow along (I'm sure you are taught the same thing). We do flow in our training drills, such as Siu Nim Tau, Chum Kiu, and our Lat Sau drills, etc., but if I am defending myself in real life I want to kick a$$ (quickly) and get out of there. I haven't seen any clips of WingTsun people doing drills or forms on the net, and those are the types of situations where we are taught to establish a flow and keep it going.

If you are practicing a style of Wing Chun that is from the Yip Man lineage, I don't think that the styles we practice are as different as some people would like to think. It seems that it is human nature to only look at differences when making a comparison, as they are the easiest to spot. But we should also remember to look for similarities as well. Only then can we get a true comparison.

Peace,
    David

Thumbs down Yikes

I think even as a demo it was unimpressive and did not demonstrate that Mona had any ability to control or truly stop a comitted opponent.

Her attacker gave her openings and patiently waited while she flailed at him, with ineffective looking chain swatting/slapping.

The only thing which looked potentially damaging where her pseudo Muay Thai Knee strikes, which have a danger of her being taken down with a single leg. Of course it is problematic in a demo as you don't want to knock out your demo opponent.

That said, it would not have convinced me to study the art. I think a Karate or Aikido demo would actually be more effective than what was shown.

I think the worst part was that one had the feeling that this woman had not really been trained to be able to defend herself given the attacks she was offering and her structure. Her opponent would, quite simply MANHANDLE HER AT WILL.

He would shrug off her punches and take her down or beat her down, and those elbows would not ever come into play.

It might be the case that in reality she has tools and attributes to defend herself, but that demo certainly didn't showcase it. There was no use of position, sensitivity and timing to counter his size and mass.

Gandolf269

I think you've misunderstood "flowing".

You can still portray real life/self defense type situations with some sort of flow from one movement to the next without all the hardhanded karate-like choppiness - broken.

As far as the demo goes - I'd be far more impressed with just a few simple, clean defense and attacks that would quickly subdue her opponent than alot of prolonged sloppiness. In my opinion, a better portrayal of the art. But that's just me.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Hmmm...as a WT instructor, I have both positive and negative things to say about the clip.

Firstly its a demo, so I guess the angle that its coming from is the whole "woman can successfully defend themselves against men" aspect. fair enough. If it helps to get more people into the classes, fair enough.

She reacts quickly to the grab from behind. Someone said she was doing thai kicks - I didnt see the logo on them saying "made in thailand". They are knee strikes, they're in WT/WC so cant see the problem with them.

The jump on the back is a bit wierd, and definitely not something I would want to see in a WT demo, or a student using. After the jump, I don't like the poor focus on the punching, and it annoys me when people dont punch on target or dont have focus on a particular target. Yes, there is some poor punching towards the end, but that said, when the guy comes in with the hook, shes hit him first, and kept nose to nose with the atttack.

Overall, I'd say that there is room for improvement, but its a good effort, and if she was in my class, she would be a good example to other women joining the class - sadly there isnt enough women in WT classes (and thats not meant as a sexist comment, its a sad fact that there are few women in martial arts classes).
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

I like how her partner, after throwing the initial punch, goes into the fetal position and just lets her pound on him however she wants. As if.