Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking more than one style

Yeah, I'm with MP on this one. Train arts that are removed from eachother. My sifu won't correct my grappling/throwing, but he will point out the strikes and kicks that I do as we did them in MT. I like my MT kicking though, so I stick with it. Over time, I've learned to make them both work together. That could prove confusing for some though, and even moreso if they trained in, say, two diifferent styles of kung fu or two different styles of silat or kali. That is something I would NOT venture, as there's too much potential for confusion.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

2. my school teaches multiple styles: Hung Gar, Choy lay Fut, Wing Chun, Shaolin 5 Fists, Tai Chi, Bagua, Long Fist, Kam nao Sao. I love it, it gives me a great deal of depth in my training, but we also have 6 hour long classes, and i normaly come early, being one of the senior students. The way our school teaches forms is pretty random, mostly my sifu try's to throw alot of stuff to the younger students to get them to decide on there own what style they want to perfect and base there studies on. I love this type of teaching, i might not know as much of one style as somone else but i have more of a general knowledge which I find to be better.

If the system is in the same main group as the one you are training now or the one before it might not mean much if the sub-style in the main group, lets say kali, silat, kung fu is much different than the one before or you are training now.

There are hundreds apoun hundreds of different styles of kali, silat and kung fu, and yes a LOT of some of the same principles but not all, some may focus on certain elements more.

An example, a person who takes Hsing-I and Chang Shuai Chaio is IMHO not messing up the forumla, or is a person taking Sikiran and Giron Esrcima, as long as things are different like you all stated before, but their is some leeway in the main groups for people still to play.

Cheers!
    Regards

Exclamation we are getting too complicated with our answers

i think that if you wish to train in multiple styles of fighting that you need to have a good foundation first(someone in an earlier post mentioned that and i wholeheartedly agree).

the problem that most of us run into is the "dedicated to one style and method" mentality. not that there is anything wrong with that at all.
    i am one who thinks that having different backgrounds makes more of a rounded out martial artist AND teacher.

Many Respects,,The willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I think most (or at least alot) chinese arts have alot in common. Like a platform that can be used among eachother. I think u can crosstrain quite well in various CMA.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Cool Cross training/multiple styles

~Cross training in Hsing I and BaGua is not detrimental to development as long as a person spends adequate time developing their basics. In fact, several internal schools teach both at the same time.
    ~A person can cross train in Shaolin based arts as well as long as their instructor allows it and the put the requisit effort in learning the basics. There is not a great deal of fundamental difference between most shaolin based or 5 family arts. (I know differences exist, but they are not MAJOR.)
    ~The key to success in this method of training is diligent practice. (That goes for success in anything.) Sadly, many people do not have the commitment level neccessary to develop the real skills.
    ~If and individual is not willing to put in the three hours a day six days a week in one art to gain real skill, then what makes them think that one hour a day three times a week in three different arts is going to help them develop real skill.

Peace,

Sin Loi

yi beng, kan xue

alameda(san fransisco bay area), california
    To learn about a planet one must study the whole universe. Someone doesn't have to take lessons in every style but you need to have a very good understanding about every style you come across. I mean it is stupid not to.If you ever fought someone that trained in another style he would suprise you with things you never saw or heard of and if he studied more than just one style you are screwed becuase he can change it up on you and trick you by mixing them.and people put too much attention to the asian styles nowadays I mean h**l any culture that survived this long has some form of martial arts lately I really goten into reasearcing about styles that are not much known about. Hawiian bone breaking, medieval martial arts native american knive and spear,stuff like that . Most people I come across don' t even know that tai chi and yoga are very good fighting styles and they always want to argue about it just becuase they watch the d**n tv and think they know about ma.
    and they always say stupid crap like kendo is the best style for sword. yeah right! dont say something like that until you have seen and experienced all sword styles . that goes for anything. It isn't the styles if the warior within. I've seen so many "black belt" and "masters" get whooped on the steets becuase they don't have the right mind. Look at the ufc. boxers and grapplers always win. not becuase of their style but becuase the attitude that comes with that sort of training.
    Last edited by nightair; 04-22-2002 at 12:33 PM.
    ---------------------------"uh oh, what is going to happen next?"

Having a solid base/foundation is important.I don't believe it's a good idea to start taking more than one style from the start.
    Take one style for a few years then you could incorperate other styles into your technique.
    But I wouldn't take to many at one time even if your a veteran martial artist.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

Train in one style so much that you become it, and it becomes you. If at the end of this you feel as if you're lacking in something then train in another style.
    What a super guy