Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many have built their own dummy from scratch?

Originally posted by gnugear

Yeah, but you could probably punch right through it ... that would be cool for a movie!
    Ever see the movie Wing Chun (the one with Michelle Yeoh)? Either she or the guy she's fighting kicks a dummy in half. Hehe.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Rubber Banded Dummy!!!

LMFAO@ K.F.C.

Curtis,

Could you please email me or leave me a private message?

I have too many cracks in my dummy and have some questions about building a new one (glueing etc.)

thanks!

whats the big deal

I found an old telephone pole $40, used a sander to smooth it
    got a chisel for the three arm holes, a couple of weekends to chisel out the holes
    brought a piece of 3" Vic Ash $5, gave all the dimensions for the arms to a woodturner to make the arms $50,
    as there are only three kicks to the leg in the whole wooden dummy sequence, I did not bother finding the bent piece of wood for this, just got some 3" steel pipe and got a steel guy to bend it into shape and add some fittings $20, so I could fix it to the pole (not really perfect - but it does an alright job)
    got mum to help make some pads so I wouldn't smash my hands as I learnt the moves $20
    fixed the pole to a frame (yes it is free standing - some say this is not good, but I found it had some downside/ some benefits $20

$150 - I was forced to make my own, the only decent dummies were nearly $2,000, went on a holiday with the money I saved.

good luck macking yours

$20 for a frame? What's the frame made out of, PVC?

$2000 for a decent one? Do you means US$2000? I've never seen one over $1200... which was actually the same one you can get for $800-$1000 (i think) at other places.

I'm gald yours worked out for you. Can you post some pics?

PS. I read somewhere (this thread maybe, I don't remember) that telephone poles are coated with something poisonous. Be careful!

IronFist

Sure enough.It has me wanting to give away my dummy stand made from treated cedar fence posts.Of course I painted and boat varathaned it 6-7 times to seal the goodies.Speaking of which,parents,if you have children that frequent playground equiptment made of preserved woods,you may want to consider the results.AND,I'm happy to say that I quit a job yesterday making furniture with particle board and veneers which is slow formaldihide glue (sp.?) mummification.

7. Beware

Some countries in Southeast Asia, like Taiwan, use formaldihide to sterilize recycled beer bottles. Unless you enjoy the thought of brain cells retreating from the chemical like plastic wrap from a flame and the prospects of a truly unique hangover, stick to drinking beer outa cans on your next voyage to the Mysterious Orient.

Gan1 Bei1!

made my frist and only dummy from an old telephone pole and the arms from old table legs.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Question Iron Fist! You're kidding me, right?!!

So you're saying that you live in the Chicago suburbs, and can't find a wing chun school? What college do you go to? What suburb do you live in?

I'll tell you what would be inconvenient - you practiced what you think is wing chun for days/months/years and find out that you practicing nothing but useless motions!

Come on, now! If you were half as dedicated to learning wing chun as you say you are, then you would make that 1+ hour trip to Chicago... at least once a month! My club(in Chicago) has practice on Saturdays, surely you give up one Sat. to at least see what wing chun is.

We are also holding a Seminar the weekend of May 18-19th. A highly respected "master" will be there to give talks and instruction. I'm not trying to sell my club, I'm just showing you that you have plenty opportunities available for you to learn wing chun.

PM me if you are at all interested:

Whoa dude, I got these things called classes...

IronFist

Classes on the weekend too?

What I suggested wouldn't interfere with your classes unless you have it on Saturday and Sunday too (which is highly unlikely). Also aren't classes done already / ending soon?

From my understanding, and I assume most others on this board thought this also was that you were out in the middle of no bum f#%ck no-where without any options available to you. But now that I see that you do have options it seems trivial to me why you don't seek some instruction...

Others on this board have suggested that you perhaps go and attend some seminars...I've informed you that there is one close to you soon. If you were serious at all with wing chun would would think about going to it. There are also several other schools in the Chicago area, you should check around and see if any of their times can fit you schedule.

I don't know where you are located, but chances are, there is a wing chun school closer to you...how good there are remains to be seen>
    Last edited by Slo Mo; 05-05-2002 at 02:50 AM.

Re: Classes on the weekend too?

Where is your school located?

IronFist

ironfist

With over 2000 posts now, it seems you got all kinds of time!!!

lots of my posts are short

+1

IronFist