Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Ba-Gua Zhang Tournament

All Ba-Gua Zhang Tournament

Peace all
    Well, Here we go again, but this time all is correct.
    For those that remember the last time I tried this I ran into a lot of pit falls. Insurance ETC…

But now that the Bull$hit is over, I can kick this off Officially.

The Ba-Gua Zhang research & Boxing Association In collaboration with YEE’S Hung Ga INTERNATIONAL.

Proudly presents

The first all Ba-Gua Zhang Tournament

September 28, 2002

To be held in conjunction with the annual Wong Fei hung tournament.

For those interested in the rest of the rules contact me at niwah64@hotmail.com

For now here’s the fighting and push hands rules. For future updates go to www.blacktaoist.com

A lot of ya’ll talk the talk but can ya walk the walk?

Peace
    Maoshan

BaGuaZhang Continuous Fighting

Protection must be used for the head, chest, mouth, groin, and feet as well as shin pads. The use of Keno Gloves will be employed to enable competitors to use palm strikes. Divisions will be determined on the day of the competition. All bouts will be three two min rounds. Fighting time and the clock will stop as dictated by the referee. The better of one round of continuous full contact sparring will be the winner. The winner is declared by a majority vote by the referee and judges. Winner of the best 2 rounds wins the fight. The following actions are not acceptable and will either result in a break, warning, or disqualification:

Break
    1. Head contact that may cause injury
    2.Controlled, non-contact technique scored on the back
    3.Competitor scores 3, quick unanswered techniques to the opponent
    4.One or both competitors goes to the floor

Warning
    1.Illegal techniques
    2.Contact to a non-contact area
    3.Excessive force (w/out malice or intent)
    4.Failure to break on the call

Disqualification
    1.If an injury occurs to an opponent as a result of a foul
    2.Accumulating 4 warnings
    3.Running out of the ring, second offense
    4.Repeated and deliberately exposing of a foul area
    5. Chinna
    Immediate Disqualification
    1.Deliberate excessive force/intent to injure
    2.Deliberate fouling
    3.Rude or belligerent behavior
    4.Use of objectionable or abusive language by a competitor or by their school.

Legal contact areas: Chest, outside of thigh, outside of the shin, entire arm, and front and side of head gear)

Illegal Targets
    1.Back and top of the head
    2.Spine
    3.Neck and throat
    4.Entire knee and knee joint

Illegal Techniques
    1.Knee strikes
    2.Elbow strikes
    3.Finger strikes
    4.Joint locking or breaking attempts
    5.Head butts
    6.Biting
    7.Groin
    8.Inside of thigh
    9.Shin, other than to check the leg only
    10.Floor or ground fighting
    11.Groin strikes

Legal/Illegal Techniques

#1. Competitors will stand facing each other about 4 feet apart.
    #2. Both competitors Toe out with their left foot and step to their left with their right legs, and extend their right arms out toward each other. Competitors should now be in the traditional BaGuaZhang guard stance.
    #3. Both Competitors take 8 steps around a circle. On the last step both competitors may attack utilizing BaGuaZhang techniques.

Important Point:

Opponents must use Ba-Gua style fighting. No Brawling, No Boxing, No Kickboxing. The goal here is to use Traditional BaGuaZhang with all it’s characteristics to win. If other than Classical Ba-Gua is used, you will receive one warning, on the second warning the other opponent wins. Period.

Allowed Techniques:
    #1. Palm strikes and fist strikes allow to face and body.
    #2. Lead leg Sweeping techniques as well as takedowns with the use of Kou Bu and Ba bu are allowed to throw their opponent to the ground.
    #3. Kicking techniques are allowed to the side of head and body. Leg trapping is also allowed.
    #4. Tui Shou (push hands)-stick and neutralize only long enough for an opening.
    #5. Palm strikes to the side of head, the front of face mask (cheek area), front and side of body (collarbone down), the outside thigh and calf are allowed.
    #6. Elbow and forearm techniques are allowed to strike only the body of the opponent (chest protector).
    #7. Hooking the lead leg.

TECHNIQUES THAT ARE PROHIBITED

#1. No strikes are allowed to the eyes, throat, and testes.
    #2. No strikes are allowed to the back of the skull or any back area of opponent.
    #3. No neck strikes or strikes to the spinal vertebrae are allow.
    #4. No strikes to the knees are allowed.
    #5. No elbow or forearm techniques are allowed to strike the face, throat, neck, or any back area.

BaGuaZhang Push Hands Rules

Opponents touch at the wrist assuming the traditional stance.
    Walk one full revolution and begin.
    The goal is to uproot, push your opponent out of the circle, or trip the opponent making them fall.
    Opponents must display clear Alignment, Kou Bu Ba Bu, and Sticking, wrapping and coiling.
    The principle of Rise, Fall Drill and Overturn must be seen.
    Continuous movement and change of tactics must be present.

Allowed

You can: Pull, Push, Sweep (the front leg), and trip.
    Knee’s can be used to off set the opponent.

There will be two 2-minute rounds with a 1-minute rest period.

Other Divisions are:
    Traditional forms and weapons - Beginners -Intermediate/Advanced
    Ba-Gua self-defense.
    Open forms and weapons. (Note: Free expression will be the main trait that is looked for.
    How well the practitioner has embedded the principles into themselves. Ba-Gua is a Principle not a form. No one’s Ba-Gua is the same. Therefore, beyond the principles of the internal that we are all familiar with (Alignment, Etc.) there should be a presence of self, your personnel expression.
    While we do have standard forms that we
    Use as a base that is only the beginning.
    Ba-Gua, because of its principles, techniques and expression of techniques Are endless. You will be judged on your creativity.The first all Ba-Gua Zhang Tournament

''A lot of ya’ll talk the talk but can ya walk the walk?''
    wow, with all the rules & especially all the gear you have to wear i would be very suprised if you could even hear them talk let alone carry all that gear on them & expect them to really be able to walk an sort of walk.
    but anyways good luck.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

LOL @ vingtsunstudent

So many rules - so much protection.

Talk the talk = muffled mumble
    Walk the walk = eight steps... argh... just something else to try and remember. Most people will fall into their circle from confusion.

*There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Cool All Tournaments have rules so whats your point.

If it was me doing the Tournament, I just let you guys go at it full-contact with no kind of protection . But no matter where a martial artist go to compete at a martial Art tournament, you are going to find rules because of Insurance. I have compete at world renowned Kung Fu and Karate Tournaments with more rules then what maoshan have down, so you guys need to kill the bull$hit. Even Shou shou and koushu have more rules then I see what maoshan have down and they are full Contact events .

From my knowledge of this Ba Gua Zhang tournament the only protection is a light chest protector, because Elbow and forearm techniques are allowed to strike only the opponents body. Also this is not a real fight, as you should know tournament fighting is not real fighting, and that gos for any form of tournament fighting today, from light contact, full contact , to even groundfighting tournaments, they all have rules. Real fighting has no rules, real fighting is dirty and ugly, to the point where you don't give a $hit about your opponent.

Tournament is just a good tool, to learn and explore a few things about yourself, that only you will know, and help a little with your mindset and a few fighting techniques that you may find you may have to work on. Its also a good way to test your will, endurance and courage.

And many Ba Gua practitioners today just don't have the courage or warrior within theirself to step in a ring or compete at a Martial art tournaments. The most you see them do is internal forms or push hands, I myself only saw a few Ba Gua Zhang pratitioners ever try to utilize their Ba Gua in a martial art tournament and their were from Sifu Frank Allen school of Ba Gua Zhang in New York, I give these guys respect because they try. Trying is better then not to trying to learn about yourself at all.

Bottom line is Many Ba Gua practitioners up here on KFO talk theory, but many up here know they can't utilize what they claim they can do. Rules or no rules a Ba Gua practitice should be able to adapt to any situation, real fighting or tournament fighting situation. If you can't adapt then how can you say you know Ba Gua Zhang. Man most of These So Called Ba Gua people on KFO are full of $hit.

Bottom line real martial arts is about showing and not just talking theory and applications , and that gos for all skill levels. I hope to see some of you today Ba Gua Zhang warriors of the old tradition come to maoshan tournament and keep the tao real. I still have love for you Ba Gua theory heads, if fighting is not your thing, then you guys can play Ba Gua forms and push hands......LOL

uhhh

Where is the tournament?

Best of luck with the tournament guys.

Hey who gets to decide what "classic bagua" looks like? Will you check for lineages and papers?

Why, having doubts?

Thumbs up Bravo Maoshan !!

Good work,I don't believe many understand what kind of legalese redtape BS ,and insurance mumbo jumbo you've had to work through, myself included.Once again Good Work, and Good Luck, man I wish I could come down. regards Bob
    "It is essential to lose the mind"

Good Luck and much respect!

Maoshan,

I commend you on your effort with this tournament. You face some hurdles before and it seems like you beat them. I'd like to mention that there will be "haters" and people who make comments against such a tournament as the ones posted earlier. That is ok because you are doing the right thing! Pa Kua is becoming a popular art and here is an chance to bring Pa Kua practitioners together as one family. You would think that you would get some more respect at least for trying such a big tournament.

Good luck !

Greetings, I'm new to this website, and to Ba gua Zhang. However, I looked high and low to find a competent instructor, and I quickly found that good information about Bagua is difficult to come by. We are all spread out, and I never expected to see an all Bagua Zhang tournament. I hope to see alot more Bagua related gatherings, and a growth in our artistic brotherhood.
    All great truths begin as heresy

yo blacktaoist & razak, take a chill pill, i was only playin'.
    for guys who like to talk 'keep it real' & 'we train old school for real fighting' even you must see the humorus side of all that tournament stuff. if tourneys are your thing or the only way you have to gauge how well your training is goin', hell, even if you just think that they are BS but fun then by almeans enjoy them(i must admit they are not for me but then again having been king hit, headbutted, kicked, scratched/gauged & bitten i think they might be a bit soft for me- the idea of rules in any fight went out the window a long time ago for me)
    i would like to add that i really do enjoy visiting your site & reading your ideas on martial arts as i am a practioner who has put what i have learnt to real usage( although it is not bagau but ving tsun it is the attitudes i think are the same).
    i will however add that sometimes you come off a bit rude on here by thinking that you feel that nobody else trains with realism as the main objective.
    once again, i have not meant to offend & am sorry if i did.
    vts
    ps BT i have the mighty bagau wooden man vids(by earle) & was wondering if you may like to swap some **** if you haven't seen them, if so send me a PM or e-mail
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Good idea for tournament, what i like especially is keeping the classic bagua style withouth kickboxing.

BTW, 28th sept is my birthday
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Yes - well done

Yep - only kidding. Respect to the organisers and esp. to those of you who are going to (as is always the case) eat some humble pie and discard egos.

Someone try to tape the event and post up some mpegs. I've seen very little Bagua - would love to see some more.
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Smile Hi Maoshan

As always, I applaud your efforts to promote baguazhang and popularize it for public consumption. I will pass this along to others in our group and in the area and if there is any way possible for me to be there, I will. Any word on other masters who might be in attendance?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM