Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Fighting = Good MA?

re;red5angel's comments on ad and sabu

AD - shouldnt talk about good wing chun, havent "Seen"it from you, your mouth boxing isnt even that good. your subtleties are not subtle and your allusions are more illusion I think.

Sabu - I disagree, fighting can be necessary, in many cases it might be the only option. I am not trianing wing chun to avoid a fight, I have other better suited skills for that, Wing chun is for when those skills fail.
    ---------------------------------------red5angel; your comment to ad is unnecessarily personal IMO...I have not seen either good real boxing or mouth boxing knowledge in your posts. And- you have not completely represented sabu's comment either...note the rest-on hurting(as opposed to fighting).

2. Thumbs down Red

Originally posted by red5angel

AD - shouldnt talk about good wing chun, havent "Seen"it from you, your mouth boxing isnt even that good. your subtleties are not subtle and your allusions are more illusion I think.
    First, I have no interest in even pretending to engage any of your "discussions" (when you let someone get a word in edgewise) because you can't discern knowledge from opinion, and the insights into Wing Chun that I have observed from you are pretty weak at best. I'm no expert myself, but I don't have to be to say what I'm about to. Take your grand wisdom about the symantical differences in the ways in which East and West use words like "master," for example -- where do you get this alleged knowledge? Have you lived both worlds? Or what of your other ridiculous claims like "most people practicing Wing Chun out there are just doing weak, watered-down, pointless exercises in wasting their own time, practicing wrongly, blah blah..." Again, how is it that you can speak for the masses so clearly? And what about your ability to chastise practitioners of Wing Chun with 27 more years of experience than you have? Please tell me this is all a big joke, that you're just trolling!

Second, I don't have to mouth-box; as i have just shown, with you there is nothing to argue because you are already so much more "learned" than everyone else (Carl must be a brilliant teacher indeed), or else your real intention is to be deliberately annoying.

Finally, if you weren't so thick (I don't believe you are a troll, after all) you might have noticed the subtleties of others, whom you have undoubtedly bored away from here, suggesting that you do more listening and less talking. If I am not subtle with you, again it is because such courtesies are proven lost on you.

AD -

"because you can't discern knowledge from opinion,"

this problem wouldnt seem to be exclusive to me apparently.

"Take your grand wisdom"

not grand just much more expressive then a few obscure lines stolen from philosophy books, I can think for myself not plagerize others.

"Or what of your other ridiculous claims "

Not ridiculous, I am just one of the few who have not deluded themselves.

"speak for the masses so clearly"

read comment on first quote. Reread until thoroughly understood. Atleast I speak to the masses and not to myself hoping others will hear.

"chastise practitioners of Wing Chun with 27 more years of experience than you have"

Age does not make one great. If you burn ppancakes for 27 years, it doesnt make you an expert pancake cooker, just an expert pancake burner.

"I don't have to mouth-box"

this is the first non-MB post you have laid down in some time, congratulations, you are correct, you do not mouth box, well anyway.

"if you weren't so thick "

Its the muscle one developes from weightlifting. I would go with meaty as that has much better connotations.

"whom you have undoubtedly bored away from here, suggesting that you do more listening and less talking. If I am not subtle with you, again it is because such courtesies are proven lost on you."

This one is my favorite. An excellent way to end your post as well. I have had plenty of responses, to those who are civil, and have the skill you point out in your first quote, (see above) they have seen my opinion and dont mind discussing differences. neither do I.
    Most of the talking here is not worth listening to. A few diamonds in the rough, the rest is garbage, just my opinion of course.
    You 'subtlety is not to be mistaken with courtesy. Courtesy implies kindness and atleast respect, you have shown little for anyone posting here, but thanks for not being 'subtle'. If th courtesy has been lost I apologize for being 'thick' as I have stated, to me courtesy would mean a good explanation with offhand comments about how others suck or thier post are trash. Atleast with me you get an explanation as to why I feel that way.

thanks for listening, or not.
    Last edited by red5angel; 05-15-2002 at 09:53 AM.

Yuanfen - I answered as much of Sabus post as I felt needed to be answered. Feel free to address anything you feel needs to be.
    As for boxing, because your and my techniques differ doesnt make both of us wrong. I tried my hand at maintaining peace, now I will express myself like the rest of you ad talk freely but without the confines of political correctness in how we do things. Just because you do a thing differently doesnt make 'differently' right.

red5angel

You are so out of line, it is quite hilarious. Even my elephant is laughing.

You should stick to your basics, red5angel, for as long as possible. You only do damage to yourself, playing at someone else's level, something you don't understand.
    Love is the answer.

6. Red5

Stick to whittling your bows, you obviously can't argue about something you don't understand (Hint: Wing Chun). Or is your bad craftsmanship there also the fault of others? Hope you have plenty of insurance!

Back to the original subject, KungFu cowboy, would you consider the person who did his technical things well a good martial artist?

8. No no no...

This rambling lump of confusion was the original subject:

"what is the difference between good wing chun and good fighting? Does having good wing chun make you a good fighter? If you fight well and study wing chun, do you have good wing chun? Can you be one and not the other, as far as can you have good wing chun and not be a good fighter?"

or, to paraphrase: "What is the difference between good pizza and good food? Does having good pizza make all your food good? If you have good food and study pizza, do you have good pizza? Can you have one and not the other, as far as can you (sic) have good pizza and not have good food?"

With respect to your upgraded question, can you perceive the difference between the artist and the craftsman? if you can, then you should have an answer that works for you.

right, and Kungfu cowboy made a good argument for how one can be a good wing chun man and not be a good fighter. He stated that one could follow through the techincal side of wingchun very well, but then in a fight choke or just not be able to apply it well.
    This goes along with my original question in that if you do have these 'technical' skills should you or should you not be a good fighter, or would not being able to fight then also preclude you from really being good at wing chun, or any other martial art for that matter.

I think that there are two kinds of martial artists.

1) Those who learn the physical movements only=the art aspect
    2) Those who can apply what they've learned=martial aspect

Which one you become depends on many factors, including personality, desire to learn, motivation to train, how you are taught, how you train, plus physiologic factors like how your body reacts to stress, to what level are your motor abilities impaired under stress, etc, all of which interact with variability.

I think both types can be good martial artists, but only #2 will be good in a fight.

Also, it is possible for the same individual to shift back and forth between them, depending on all that stuff. I don't think they are necessarily static or mutually exclusive categories.
    Last edited by kungfu cowboy; 05-15-2002 at 12:56 PM.

11. If you already had an answer

Why ask the question again? Strange.

Cowboy, how is your number 1 a martial artist? I can't see this. A dancer, maybe (that is an art) but not a martial artist. A craftsman, definitely.

red5angel sez

Yuanfen - I answered as much of Sabus post as I felt needed to be answered. Feel free to address anything you feel needs to be.
    As for boxing, because your and my techniques differ doesnt make both of us wrong. I tried my hand at maintaining peace, now I will express myself like the rest of you ad talk freely but without the confines of political correctness in how we do things. Just because you do a thing differently doesnt make 'differently' right
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A rather jumbled and confused post addressed to me.
    Nowhere near the center line. Best ignored red.

KFC - yes it is interesting and you have hit upon the issue I am working out at the moment. AD pointed it out as well, that if you can do the Art side of it, are you still a martial artist?
    I am not sure there is a right answer, just wondering what people think as I form my own opinions and ideals.

14. Red face

Yawn

AD-I see your point. If they are good at the forms and stuff, but can't fight, they must not be martial artists. What about somebody who can fight, but never learned how? Are they martial artists?

I guess it depends on your personal definition, but I feel that you can be a good martial artist (I guess here dancer or craftsman applies) who is not necessarily a good fighter. For example, what would you call somebody who knew the entire art who could probably teach somebody with the right combination of attributes to fight by using the physical form of the art that they know, even though they maybe can't fight worth a darn themselves, but they know their stuff. I guess I am just paying homage to the knowledge they have learned by including them under the banner of martial artist.