Thread: Know a good KF instructors in Houston?

Know a good KF instructors in Houston?

I'm looking for a good KF instructor in Houston. Preferably on the east side. Please, if you guys know any, let me know.
    Mindlessness is the enemy...

You will not find much on the east side of Houston.

The better teachers are all located on the west side. A lot depends on what you want to learn and why?

Tell me more and I can give you a list.

Isn't there some D@MN fine Tai Chi Chuan in Houston?
    JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Thumbs up

Sifu Henry Poo Yee is in Houston, I don't have the address handy, but I do highly recomend you go see him.
    "When i flip out, i just totally flip out and start killing people, it's totally sweet."-Sharky

GLW, I'm looking for any good teacher. Really, any KF style is fine by me, as long as the teacher is good. I'd prefer styles like Hsing Yi, Bagua, Baji, but I know those are rare where I am. Reason I'm looking for a new teacher is because my schedule often coincides with my current classes. Now I only make it to class about once a month or so and I feel like I'm wasting away. I practice some on my own, but it gets so boring. Hook me up!

108KUEN, how do I contact sifu Henry Poo Yee?

hey chyisan..well Houston has the people that have been mentioned, but it also has monks that are directly related to the Shaolin temple in China. Yep. Shi De Shan and Shi Xing Hao both reside in Houston. If I lived in Houston, I'd be looking them up. They don't have websites but I do have email addresses and physical addresses if this interests you.

Shi De Shan madstclair@aol.com 9931 Harwin #200, Houston, Texas 77036

Shi Xing Hao songshan@hotmail.com c/o Chinese Civic Center, 10052 Harwin Room #209, Houston, Texas 77036

I also have the phone number for Shi De Shan, but out of respect I will not post it online. Message me if you want it.

This is an oppurtunity for you that I wish I had. Shaolin is the real deal, if you are truly dedicated.

For all you doubters, just go to russbo.com. I try to keep a tab on where all the Shaolin monks in the US are, and if they are near me. I eventually plan to go train in China for a couple of years, but I want to further my training here first. Well, I hope this helped you.

Forge Virtue and Honor in the hot fire of Hard Work

Gabriel

I pulled this off Mike Patterson's web site. He does not have an oppinion on the guy, nor do I, you have to check him out yourself. Good luck!!!

Al-Waalee Muhammad
    2019 Winbern
    Houston, TX 77004
    (713) 526-8446
    awm.vlq@wt.net
    HeBei Hsing-I
    Pa-Kua Chang
    Yang Tai-Chi

Thanks CD. I've met Al-Waalee Muhammad before and sat in on one of his classes. He seems to be the real deal and gives a solid class. However, they're semi-private sessions and are kinda expensive for me.

Hsing Yi and Bagua - Al Walee Mohammed or Bomani Magrhibi

Bomani is at the 5 Element Kung Fu School. Nice guy, very good Bagua, Hsing Yi, Chen style, Zha Quan...but you have to prove to him that you are willing to train hard or he will only teach a little. He was national internal champion every year he competed back in the late 1980's early 1990's.

There is one other instructor for these styles that is good but they are not teaching or accepting students now...if they were, I would be first in line....and the waiting goes on.

You also have people like:

Jeff Bolt - Yang Jwing Ming lineage
    George Hu - Similar to Yang Jwing Ming
    Wallace Cupp - originally under Chan Poi but not associated with them now.
    Paul Chu - Wing Chun and Choy Li Fut
    Victor Cheng - not traditional and more Korean influence
    Yun Yang Wang - same as Victor Cheng
    Kitty Cheng - Cheng Manching's daughter - overheard William CC Chen stating that her methods were not the same as he learned from her father....

The monks were listed as well as Chen Jingcai...

There is a Korean who teaches CMA...can't say anything good about his classes.

There are some schools that claim to teach 8 martial arts and list Chinese styles. These guys are bad news. They used to be Chung Moo Doe until they had legal problems and John Kim went to prison. They are NOT someplace to get involved with....bad all the way around.

Madame Wang Jurong teaches as well. She is EXTREMELY good and does private lessons with select students as well as group classes.

There are one or two others who teach who are pretty poor and not worth listing.

Then, there are those like me who do so privately and are connected to others listed above and so do not actively seek students.

Going rates range from $70 per month for 2 classes a week to over $100 per month...

Private lessons range from $50 per hour to $150 depending on who you are learning from.

Most of the teachers are on the West side of town...Bomani is downtown. around Fannin and 59.

Hmm... is Al Walee Mohammed and Bomani Magrhibi the same person? I remember sitting in on a class held in the back of a African crafts shop.

Oh, and how do I get a hold of some of these people? If you don't want to list their numbers on the forum, you can email to me @ chyisan@ev1.net

Al-Wallee and Bomani are WAY different people. Al-Wallee is around 6' tall and 250 lbs. Boman is around 6'4" to 6'6" and 220

Bomani is more reserved but also more laid back....

I have heard (from my teacher and some senior students) that George Hu is incredible. His specialty is throwing (maybe chin-na, too) and he is "scary" good.

In what way is he like Yang Jwing Ming? I thought Yang was a White Crane guy?
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

I would not go that far...

The background story:

Yang Jwing Ming learned White Crane from a Master Chen in taiwan. then when he went off to college, he began long fist with Li Mao Ching.

Hu was originally a student of Li Mao Ching and then went to learn from Li's teacher, Han Ching Tan.

SO, their long fist is the same. Li Mao Ching did Taijiquan to some degree and having seen a book of his on it, his routine and Yang's are similar...so I would guess that Hu has something along those lines as well.