Thread: Southern Sil Lum Temple

Southern Sil Lum Temple

A kung fu friend of mine visited the archeological site of the Fukien Southern Sil Lum Temple. He let me post these photos on our site.
    Here is the link: http://www.mts.net/~sillum/South Shaolin Temple1.htm

I think you will find it interesting!

GHD

Cool shoalin temple

cool man,

thanks for the link to the cool pictures. I like the training grounds, check that out dude. I like the multi levels and the
    walk way that goes through the center of the training squares.

Awesome coverage

Tell your friend we'd be very interested in an article about this...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Angry

How much excavation did they do before this "new" temple was built over it? i have to say that i am a bit upset that there is a new complex over the old one. if there was to be any discovery of
    things which could prove or disprove the existence of certain peoples of certain schools(do i need to mention the name?) that now has been ****ed away. not that anyone would do any excavating just for that purpose but surely there would have had to have been a curiosity to dig further. there might have been secret chambers or a burial site. lookingf at the pictures of the excavated weapons was neat. it answers certain questions about the weapons that were utilized ie: the sai.

Many Respects,,, The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

For me, the Shaolin Temple serves as a beacon to the practitioners of the arts that came from there.

Yes, it is still controversial because of the PRC making so much tourist dollars from the Henan Temple, it is known that they rebuilt the southern temple as a way of generating more dollars over and above the need to have another Shaolin Temple teching buddhism and wu shu/kung fu.

The author is correct in his pensiveness to just give in and "believe" it. This is admirable and is also the sign of scholarly thinking in regards to the matter. To not question the motivations and agendas in play is a bigger mistake than just saying "yyaaaayyy another shaolin temple!"

There are however numerous legends regarding the Fukien Temple and just as many arguments about it's actual existance.
    The White Horse temple located in the same area and having been there for hundreds of years does not have a record of a Shaolin temple. That fact alone is enough to raise questions about the site that has been found. What is the site really? It is not 100 percent historically certain. Buddhist temples are known as terrific record keepers not only of their own histories but of the times in which they exist. The PRC however is quite infamous for it's rewriting of history and it's destruction of materials that could be used to confirm or discount these types of archeological sites.

To have yet another Shaolin Beacon to serve as a centre for the practitioners can only be a good thing imho. After all, we are each happiest when our world "seems" right.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

there are political reasons...

for establishing, or re-establishing this southern temple as well. Look to who was appointed as it's abbot and this should become clearer.