Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Training

Question Shaolin Training

Has anyone here trained at a Sholin temple? I am considering going but would like some first hand information from someone who has been. I currently have no martialart training but shall be starting "Ealgle Claw" kung fu soon. I also want to start Praying Mantis aswell but would it be alright to do 2 at the same time. Also i have seen different styles of Praying Mantis and don't really know which one to choose, can anyone help?

training at shaolin

A few people here have and do train there...I was there only once and learned an eagle claw form- probably a part of it since it seems apparent that these things are revealed in stages- but what do you want to know? I would be happy to offer whatever my meager experience might provide.

Russbo has a very extensive section on going to Shaolin to train. Maybe the information you seek might be found there.

Eagle claw or praying mantis? Tuff decision. I have only trained in two animals and it happens to be the both of them. Rich is my witness. Just find both schools and start training. Chances are you will gravitate to one. I'm curious as to why you have selected these styles out of all of them. Fill me in. Are these 2 styles near your home?

Richard Sloan
    Good to see you posting here. I would love it if me you and your bro could train together sometime. I want to see how good you have gotten and I have some good stuff to show you. I added Wing chun to my arsenal. I sparred for 2 hours tonight.
    lol I get guys from shaolin to try wing chun and vice versa.lo

Anthony

sweeeeeeeeeet...

I got some MThai pads from when I was gettin' ready to train with Yan Ming and started working out. I really liked the training but it was a little brutal. I've already been in enough fights. After we saw a class we thought we'd better get started doing something so we trained in a bunch of stuff- so I picked up these pads. It's an interesting kick, sort of feels like getting slammed with a baseball bat. You brooklyn guys know how that feels, lol...

BTW Shi Yan Ming kicked me around a bit the other day and really rang my bell. I've been slammed by allotta guys but man...no setup kicks, no little half steps, and they penetrated right through the pad. Made me realize why he is always yelling "pivot foot!" It does not surprise me he busted that punch machine at all. Chuey's looking good.

You know Andy was in a bad car accident? He got banged up pretty **** bad. It was very close. He had his spleen removed, ribs busted, punctured lung and another surgery to clear some blockage in the lung. The Dr. came to see us and asked what he did. My mom was like, what do you mean? He goes, I never cut into anybody who had a muscular structure like that.

I am absolutely convinced if not for training he'd be dead. His recovery was surprising to all the hospital staff. He still gets very tired. He's learning tai chi.

I am really very happy to hear things are going well with Sifu Hengxin. It sounds like you found your home and your master. Million different buddhas for a million different people. Amitabha! When you get to the hong chuan it will be interesting to compare. It seems like things change and progress as we get better, little nuances. If I didn't have to go away so much due to work I'd have erluquan finished...but I can't complain, I was never about the quickie. Besides after going to China I feel very lucky. I realize allot of things that we all took for granted, we were all very very stupid and...for lack of a better term american. We're really just scratching the surface of all of this, Shaolin is sooooooo deep...and there is allot going on there now which is frankly allot bigger than us.

All the little bullsh!t snipes that used to get under my skin sometimes are now absolutely meaningless drivel.

Anyway, I've got to go to Jamaica for a week or two in June, after that we should go grab some beers. I think you owe me dinner, heh heh heh...remember that night you got the Mr. Miyagi treatment?

Praying Mantis/Eagle Claw?

Mortal: Praying Mantis or Eagle Claw? I currently have no MA training but have wanted to start 4 some time. I want to start PM because it uses Dim Mak which i have allways been obsessed with and Eagle Claw because i heard it also uses pressure point strikes and uses joint locks. After lots of searching i have found some where that teaches PM close to me (Hounslow) but Eagle Claw on the other hand is in Maidenhead and the only one in europe as far as i know. I have contacted Sifu Julian Dale and i got an information pack from him. I have been meaning to go down and have a look but it,s a bit of a journey from Hounslow without a car (I do hope to be driving soon though). i hope that answered your question.

I trained over there in '97 and it was some good training...they dont take training lightly in any schools over there.I seen young children training their hearts out.if you do go to shaolin I highly recommend going through Wang YuMin he is an expert and will treat you very good(not like some stupid tourist)!
    "I consider myself not to be the best...but one who strives to be..."

---Bei Hu-----

Yang Wu Min?

yearofdragon76: Yang Wu Min? Which temple does he train at? I've looked loads up on the internet and can find training only at the the temple on Songshan mountain. Also it costs a fair bit, it costs about £3500 (about $5000) for a year that includes food and somewhere to stay.

Wang YuMin actually handles travel services.He is in Dengfeng(near shaolin temple..and songshan mt.)He can actually work out a great plan with you!When I went the most expense I paid was for the flight..although i only stayed a little over a month!He actually hooked me up really good!I owe him more gratitude then he will ever know.Gene should have updated numbers for him i have a business card but ii's from '97 it most likely has changed numbers at least!

old number is,,0371-2872137 look in phonebook on foriegn calls

---Bei Hu-----

yearofdragon76: You said that Gene should have updated phone numbers, how can i get in contact with Gene?

contact me?

I moderate this forum...
    The last numbers I have for Wang Yu Min are 0086371-2874734 or -2872137. You can email him at CITS@dfintertour.com - He speaks English.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene is he still located in the same building there in Dengfeng?It was a small office space where i met him at before he drove me up songshan.

---Bei Hu-----

He's had the same office since '98, maybe longer...

A white tile building...oh wait, they're all white tile buildings...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There all white tile

Yeah...I think they are all white ..Gene when do you think would be a good time within the next couple years to visit shaolin again (due to the renovations?) My son has been begging me to take him

---Bei Hu-----

that's a good question...

The rennovations are supposed to enter stage 3 in 2003. That'll probably be for the next festival. Festival time is always wacky fun. I suppose it depends on how long you want to stay there. If you want to train, I'd probably look at the seasons more than the rennovations. The rennovations will be ongoing too - shaolin has a lot to reclaim.

BTW, gaz, mention my name to Mr. Wang and he might give you a better price. We're old friends.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

When is next years festival do you know?This trip will just be site seeing my son trains but he is only 8 and wants to see china more than practice!...He has known kung fu his whole life....It shows cause jow many 8 year olds are dying to see the Shaolin Temple more than going to Disneyland..LOL

---Bei Hu-----