Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lovehandles...

I'm not a fitness guru, I just know my shít. I only pick apart stuff that is blatantly wrong, especially when it's bad advice. I do it for the sake of helping the person who asked the question. It's what I would want someone to do for me if I said something that was wrong, too.

I don't mean it to me insulting, but I guess it sounds that way some times. Sorry if you took it wrong.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

No problem. Excuse me I didn't know you were a fitness guru.
    You didnt know Ironfist was a fitness guru?.....where have you been? (even if he claims not to be one he is)

Ok question about spot fat reduction.

If you do lots of weights on a set area to "reduce" the fat on it and make the muscles bigger will it work by spreading the fat out over a bigger area or will the deapth of fat stay the same?

I have always struggled with wieght, it runs in my family.

When ever "I" get serious about loosing, I hike 10-20 minutes, and then warm up, condition, drill basics (about 45 minutes), then I drill my forms for another 40-50 minutes. I use deep stances, and constant movement with NO breaks the whole time. I push untill I can't talk, and then back off just enoght so I can carry on a conversation without too much strain (but not too easy). then, I stretch wile I am still hot, and finnaly, I finnish by going for a hike for 2-3 more hours with little rest.

Once or twice a week, I hike for 4-6 hours with a 20 minute break for a light lunch somewhere in the middle, usually home made beef jerky I brought with me.

I feel the Kung Fu workout gets me in the "Fat Burning" mode, and the hike actually takes it off. The Kung fu alone works too, it just takes longer.

I have been known to go on solo camping trips, and come back 15 pounds lighter in 8 days this way. So long as I eat right, and maintain a good exercise scedual, it takes a couple of years for the wieght to come back. If I get lazy and don't train, or over work allot and skip on sleep, it's back in a few months.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Chen Zhen.

Your profile states that you are still in your teens, at that point I wouldn't worry about love-handles.

Once you get over 30 they tend to become a nuisance.

But either way good diet & a good training routine should take care of them.

Peace.

P.S.: What you got againt Love handles?? They can be great in the right Company.

Mortal I can see how you took some of iron fists post personnal however the rest of us were merely stating that although it worked for you it may not work for all and in all probability it wont work for most.We need to remember that this is a kung fu forum.It is a place to post views and counterviews you cant take everything personal..And it does seem to me that if we all practice martial arts than discussions should not turn to threats of violence...less we forget the true meaning of kung fu in the process...if someone ask a question he is entitled to all replies not just one and let him decide what to do...but I will say this and you may take it personal but your advise on lovehandles was legit and you are the proof that it worked for you..however it frightens me to think that a discussion turned to you talking about coming out swinging...i just would like to know do you study kung fu or just love it..neither is wrong but if you study you should think about your training because kung fu is not some club to use on people when there is a disagreement there is more to the wonders of kung fu then mere fighting....
    "I consider myself not to be the best...but one who strives to be..."

---Bei Hu-----

Ah yes, now that's what I love about MA! When someone disagrees with me I'll just beat him down!

Relax, you're only mortal like the rest of us. We all misinterpret things at times but don't get angry. You're not helping my perception of yankees.

Originally posted by Liokault
    Ok question about spot fat reduction.

If you do lots of weights on a set area to "reduce" the fat on it and make the muscles bigger will it work by spreading the fat out over a bigger area or will the deapth of fat stay the same?
    Liokault, thanks for the compliment above, but I think you misunderstand something. Spot reduction is not possible. Therefore, both of what you described are false, because it can't be done at all.

Let me try to elaborate on what you said, though. Hypothetically speaking, if you were to make the muscles in one area larger while keeping your total amount of body fat the same (same amount of fat MASS, not bodyfat %), then in theory, your lean mass would have increased while your bodyfat PERCENTAGE has gone down (because it's proportional to the amount of muscle you're carrying). This larger muscle, however, would not be visible if it is covered by a lot of fat. You would get bigger, but it wouldn't be defined or anything. I guess to answer your question, the depth of the fat would stay pretty much the same... any change would not be noticible.

So, if you have fat by your triceps (like lots of girls complain about having), and you were to do tons of tricep exercises to make your triceps huge, they would still be huge UNDER all the fat. The muscle would push on the fat. To reduce fat you must burn it off. Lifting weights doesn't really burn enough calories to make a difference.

Make sense?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Somebody videotape this so we can sell it on pay-per-view and get rich.

I actually picked up a little case of love-handles while doing a few months of military training that took me away from martial-arts training. Once I got back into MA training they went away in a few months.

I think it was throwing dozens of spinning kicks on a heavy bag as hard as I could muster. Then again it could be something else.
    Badges?
    We don't need no stinking badges!

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    watch your diet and keep exercising.

to burn fat simply walk and breath. over exertion during exercise cause the heart rate to rise above the normal rate at which point you stop burning fat and start burning glycogens. glycogens are the immediate energy sources in your body, or more simply the food energy you have in you.

peace

I have read conflicting advice on fat burning. You can summarise three distinct positions - the first being the above.

The second being that burning fat (rather than other energy sources) is important but that you still do that better exercising more intensively. eg.

Quote from an internet site on fitness.

"For example, a 30 minute walk will burn 70 per cent of the calories from fat, but that is only 70 calories of fat. A moderate jog for 30 minutes will burn 300 calories, and 50 per cent of those calories will be from fat. But the total burned is twice as much".

The third position would be that it is simply a matter of calories in minus calories burned that dictates your weight.

My own experience is that running or cycling is a far better way of burning fat than walking - from which I infer the latter two positions are more likely to be the truth than the former. Anyone got any comments?

I think the easiest way of summing this up is if you want to get ripped your calories being burned must exceed your calories being taken in. It doesn't matter if you walk, run train kung fu, swim....if you trained like a madman and burned 4000 calories in a day but you consumed 5000 calories that same day, you will gain weight and not look ripped.

What does that imply about military training? Army and Navy dudes are softies...yet recon, rangers and seals are real. No handles there.

Yu Shan obviously you have never worked with rangers...My squad leader was a ranger and i have trained and performed with rangers...let me tell you there are handles! The fact is a ripped look just makes you look in shape and make you feel and look better about yourself...the army isnt concerned with abs or pecs of you can carry a rifle with a 130 lbs ruck on your back and move for over 24 hours straight then be able to still kill the enemy then your in shape...I know this because ive done it with and without lovehandles and let me tell you having handles or not makes no difference...there are alot of ripped ab out of shape people who just had good Genes.......

Oh and no offense yu shan Its the Army Rangers and Navy seals so obviously not the whole Army and the whole Navy are softies......

Everyone in the combat arms has to prove their worth daily.....lovehandles or not!!

God Bless The USA and those who protect her!!!
    "I consider myself not to be the best...but one who strives to be..."

---Bei Hu-----

mortal . .. no one has attacked you, you big fu cking baby. jesus christ you pi ss and moan worse than my fu cking 2 year old. i hope that you are still in your teens cause any grown man that acts like you do needs a bleach enima. all people said was that what worked for you will not work for most people because of simple principles of physiology and you got to go and be a di ck. co ck sucking mo ther fu cker. you gonna come on swinging at me? i don't give a fu ck. i wouldn't even waste my time with a little punk such as yourself. you ever just started swining at me i'd shoot you in the throat and rape the wound. bi tch.

there. now you have been verbily attacked on the forum and actually have a reason to bi tch.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 05-30-2002 at 09:39 AM.
    where's my beer?

Thumbs down Now that is lame.

How very very cool, GDA. I hope you're pleased. You've taken this thread to an all-new low.

Regardless of how lame one person is, dropping to the level of that person is ridiculous. And it makes you look like a fool.

I browse this forum several times a day... and am very disappointed by the absolutely infantile behavior I've seen amongst some of the so-called "martial artists" on this board.

You "children" may very well be able to fight... I can't comment on that... but think how your post portrays you before you post. Use your heads.

Of course, there are many people who aren't like this that do post here, but I'm seeing a disturbing trend towards the above sort of post, and I've not even been here that long.

Just... grow up, I guess.

Hau Tien