Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tai Chi Turns To Gold

Thumbs up Tai Chi Turns To Gold!!!

Congrats to my training partners, J, Greg, and Aaron, for testing their skills yesterday at Grapplemania held in Edmonton.

Aaron dominated his division and got a first place finish by controlling the points-game and staying centered throughout all his matches. He followed his positional strategies to the letter and demonstrated good Tai Chi skill in all phases. In the absolute division, he was in solid control in his first match of but got caught in a wristlock while trying to sink his guillotine.

J won a convincing first place in his division by applying active forward-pressure in all his matches and submitting 2 of his opponents with some crushing chin-na...which he said he said he just made up. He decided to sit out the absolute.

Greg took second place in advanced middle-weight despite pushing/throwing his opponent down onto four points at least 3 times, flattening him once, and sending him rolling out of the sqare a couple of times. The grappling never went to the mat and the rules didnŐt allow the ref to award Greg any points - Fair enough. After a 3 minute overtime and no points scored on either side, his opponent won the decision. Greg's my senior training partner and IMHO, his understanding of Tai Chi push-hands and ability to demonstrate it to a very good level was golden. He took fourth place in the absolute division in a field of fouteen consisting of both novice and advanced.

Way to go guys...
    Last edited by Shooter; 06-09-2002 at 06:36 PM.

Nice job!

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Very cool
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

You know, I like see'n Kung Fu guys do well in these competions, but I especially like it when it's a Tai Chi guy because it is such a deceptive art, and the opposition has such little value for our skills.

Good job Guys!!!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

ADA

Very cool
    got any links to this?

Le n00bi, I don't think National BJJ in Edmonton has a website.

Thumbs up

Way to go, Bruce and J, Aaron and Greg! I know you all worked hard for it.

good job.

Since we're already bragging...

A guy from my WC school won gold at a san shou competition yesterday, first person to ever really compete from our school too. Now that he's done it more of us will proboly start competing, think I'll try next year if I'm ready.
    |) /-\ | | |
    | / \ |_| |__

Scott, thanks. YouŐre one of 3 people who my training partners know as being a major influence on my coaching and personal practice.

These guys are developing their skill-sets basically on their own. We work together, but they apply what they understand on their own legs. ItŐs all about their skills. I just try to share my experiences, and they do all the work. ThatŐs just good Kung Fu.

Bruce
    Last edited by Shooter; 06-09-2002 at 06:20 PM.

Bruce, you flatter me, but I did nothing.

"These guys are developing their skill-sets basically on their own. We work together, but they apply what they understand on their own legs. It's all about their skills. I just try to share my experiences, and they do all the work."

That's not "just good Kung Fu" - that's what ALL coaching SHOULD be!
    Last edited by RMAX.tv; 06-09-2002 at 07:11 PM.

ttt

This isn't "Shooter's Bodyweight Workout" Shooter, is it?

--
    Rev. Tim

ReverendTim, no. I think you mean "Scrapper's Bodyweight Workout" no?

Royal Dragon, didn't notice this comment until just now:

the opposition has such little value for our skills.
    Our skills? Which skills would those be?
    Last edited by Shooter; 06-10-2002 at 05:00 PM.

Oh, yeah...*Scrapper*, not Shooter.

Whew...almost called the wrong guy a sadistic ba$tard!

--
    Rev. Tim

I'm really happy to see everyone excepting tai chi as a dominating force in grappling/submission grappling
    tai chi rules