Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: actor martial artisits, NOT martial artist actors

actor martial artisits, NOT martial artist actors

Hi guys, do any of you know of any actors who also have background in MA? I don't mean martial artists who have become actors (like Seagal, Norris, etc). I can only think of Wesley Snipes. He is a well rounded actor (whos been in comedies, dramas, action, etc) and also someone who has a background in karate and Capoaeira. I have a vaguely fuzzy memory of some woman from the old Buck Rogers show who is a Tai Chi expert, but could be wrong. Oh, and there's of course Sarah Michelle Gellar who supposedly is a Bronw Belt in TKD. Anyone know of any others?
    Long Live the Fighters!
    -Paul Mua'Dib Atreides

Craig T Nelson (from the sitcom "Coach"): Savate (I think).

J-Lo: Krav Maga (hahahahahahahahaha!!!!).
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Joe Rogan, of News Radio and Fear Factor, was a national tae kwon do champion and currently studies BJJ (with the Machados, I think).

Watch out for them comics from Boston...

--
    Rev. Tim

Erin Gray played on Buck Rogers. And yeah, she teaches taiji now.

James Caan is an avid karateka under Tak Kubota.

Dustin Nguyen (of VIP) was an actor on 21 Jump Street before anyone knew about his martial arts background (taekwondo and jeet kune do, evidently).

But how are you distinguishing martial artist/actors from actor/martial artists? what they were known for first?

If so, I can think of a few B-grade stars that fit that bill. Lorenzo Lamas leaps to mind. He starred on Falcon Crest (is that right?) long before he started making action movies.

Patrick Swayze is another.

Randall Batinkoff (I'm really embarrassed that I even pulled that name out, frankly; think he had a small, nonmartial arts role in the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer as her boyfriend).

I'm sure there are piles of them.

Stuart B.

It's too bad most of these people (except for James Caan) are pretty cr@ppy actors.

Wasn't James Cagney a pretty decent judoka?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

that's true. but nobody said they had to be good actors.

that's right. cagney was a judoka. how good he was, i don't know.

Yes, Cagney even breaks out some judo in one film, I forget the title.

If memory serves me correctly, Jerry Seinfeld does kung fu.

Also, I have recurring dreams that Nicole Kidman is grappling with me. She is quite good, in fact, she does this one move, it kinda involves a triangle, if I understand what the grapplers mean by triangle. I have to think about baseball statistics in order to keep from submitting right there on the floor.

She is superior.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 06-12-2002 at 01:34 PM.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

bryan genesse, thomas ian griffith, and adrian paul all acted in various nonmartial arts productions before using their martial arts on screen as well.

again, not exactly oscar winners.

Actually, John Cusack has studied with Benny Urquidez for a long time, and is purported to have a vicious jab.

Ap, remind me not to ask if you've seen any good movies lately.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

RALPH MACCIO: pen!$-fu

WEBSTER: gung-whopper-do

Todd Bridges: cocainejichuan

chuck norris: hairclubformentsu

pat morita: kolostomybagmaga

gil gerrard(buck rogers) : washedupoldactor-fuduk

drew carrey: twinkyhohokwondo

thats about all i know for now
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

elvis.
    where's my beer?

I thnk I heard that Dame Judy Dench occasionally competes in those Karate power-breaking competitions on ESPN.

?

I forget homey's real name (Ed something?), but that guy who played Al Bundy on the sitcom "Married With Children" is a purple belt in Gracie Jiujitsu. Who woulda' thunk it?!

"Why is it if a man kills another man in battle, it's called heroic, yet if he kills a man in the heat of passion it's called murder?"

-Stan
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

15. Thumbs up

GDA,
    Right.
    Elvis had a blue belt in American kenpo karate.
    I found that strange but I think thatīs true.
    "Al Bundy" also has a blue belt (or related) in BJJ.
    Possibly studied with Gracies.
    Jim Carrey has surprisingly studied with Gracies (is Royce Gracies private student)
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-