Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: the concept of covering

vts: I see where you're coming from, but;

1) do you use kwan sau?
    2) if so, what for/
    3) what do you use wu sau for?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

kwan sau- yes, only when caught at a range where it need be used, i don't block anything & then move to kwan in the event that an attack may come that way. i also don't use it as a gaurd position.
    wu sau- is a gaurding hand & yes it used to cover.
    the difference is with this your hand is always ready to move forward. it is used in a lot different way to the way covering is being described here.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

So when would you use a kwan?!! I agree, only an idiot would use it to guard! But the fact remains you're using two hands to deflect, so why and when? It's still covering, even if your tan is ready to slip through as a strike...!

And your wu sau... It's not hanging around waiting to strike, or chasing anything, but it's covering until you have a GOOD strike...?

Basically, I'm with you on this... a lot of people seem to have an idea of covering that seems to me to be wasting time, or chasing:

But if you have control of your centre you have a cover automatically, as well as a strike, based on the idea that you don't want to give your opponent both hands at the same time unless you are giving them something serious to 'think about'!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan