Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best fighting range??

Wink Best fighting range??

OK so here is a question for some friendly discussion.

Take a scenario - one untrained unarmed aggressive person much larger than yourself wants to mix it up with you, and there is no way to avoid the fight (just for the scenario's sake, you can't run away or whatever). There is definitely going to be a scrap.

What range would YOU prefer the fight to occur in, and what range do you feel is your strongest? (eg kicking, punching, clinching, grappling). Is there any particular range that minimizes the advantage of larger size?

Personally, I think an untrained fighter is most dangerous in punching and kicking range. For myself, I am learning Muay Thai and submission grappling, so I think I would try to close to the clinch and deal with them there with knees and elbows. If the clinch went to grappling, so be it, but I would try to stay upright if I could. Of course, at punching or kicking range I would still try to land some strikes, but feel that I would be safer at clinching or grappling range.

Any thoughts? Please, what I want to hear is what YOU would do, not what I have said wrong.
    Yeah thats MR. Sleazy to you!

Where is it? Does he have friends? Is it in the street, in a bar, where? There are a lot of enviromental factors and other variables that would affect the decision a person should make.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I am with Serpent here, pls prvide more info.

Surroundings and other fighters also dictate fighting range and what techniques to use.

Peace.

P.S.: When mention "grappling" do you mean standup up or ground grappling/wrestling??

I think it would all depend on what range you would be profficient in,

I don't think it would be a good idea for someone like a Thai boxer to take a bigger guy to the ground,he hasn't learnt any skills on the ground so what advantages would he have?

On the other hand a student of BJJ only,would also be silly to try and knock the guy out with kicks and punches.

Do what you do best.

I think this is where a MMA has an advantage,
    He is able to fight effectively in all the ranges and can change the fight to suit him.
    Say he starts to strike with the bigger guy but quickly finds that the guy is an efficient boxer,well he can then go to clinch range to negate the big guys striking advantage,if the bigger guy still has the advantage at this range,a take down can be executed and ground fighting skills can be called on.
    If the bigger guy is still more effective at this range well then God help you cause you may be fighting Antonio Nogiura or some other big MMA star .
    "You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

i've never tested it in real life, but i'm confident in a good elbow to the face.

Start long range where it's safe, if you can tke him fast and easy there, do it, if not move in to mid range with plans for escape. if yu cna take him ther do so, if not get in close elbow the stuffig out of him or Chi Na him into a tangled knot up close.

If all else fails, Throw him on his head
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Well since I practice wing chun I would get in nice and close but stay at an angle since hes bigger than me.
    Toughen my sinews, harden my bones,
    Make my blood flow freely,
    I will then be young forever
    In touch with the realm of goads.

I would f.art, punch from medium range, move around a lot, and if he wanted to clinch go uppercut and elbow crazy.

I'd try and end it as soon as possible because, well, it makes sense doesn't it?

I would also kick him in the knees a lot.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Smile

Don't know about best, but what I like and works for me is to stay outside in long range and come in close in short range. I avoid middle range so my opponent has difficulty achieving full extention. So I can get almost full extention I come in low and rise.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

More details

Shadowdragon and Serpent:

Lets just make it as simple as possible, one larger opponent, no obstructions, no buddies, no weapons, in an open parking lot.

KnightSabre:

Good points - of course it depends on what range you feel most comfortable in. For me, it is clinching and ground, when I spar and stick at punching and kicking range I often just trade blows (yeah I am working on my defense, someday it will improve), which I would not want to do in my little scenario. Clinching and ground I feel is a little more "technical", in that to do damage, you need to do things in a very specific way.

Personally I like clinching because I can choose to either try to land knees and elbows (thai style), or go for a throw. I know going to the ground on cement would not be pleasant, but as long as I was not the one thrown there, I don't think I would have a huge objection to it.

Guohuen, I agree with you, I think the middle range is probably the most risky, at that range the bigger guy can punch, which I think would be most dangerous from an untrained opponent.
    Yeah thats MR. Sleazy to you!

From my experience a large untrained person is most dangerous in punching range. But most ppl that are that much larger WILL throw there weight around a bit. So be prepared to be thrown around alot and slammed against things/thrown on the ground. I would just keep swinging and land in clinch eventually, then start kneeing.

But if you got friends w/ you a good rear naked choke from you and a fist flying from your buddy is a GREAT way to end a fight. But seriously ppl like that are the reason I keep a wepon on me at all times.

I would fantisize that I'd stay just out of stiking range, making him over extend to get at me and therefore voulnerable to finishing counters.

Second choice: knees and elbows.

Stacey Guest
    yeah, then I'd make sure my mana, str, and exp were up 60 points
    and counter with a water type Pokemon."

Give me a break, everyone has a plan until they get hit. Just do it.

Glue is bad for you.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

It depends on what u do naturally...for a wing chun guy...trap and hit hit hit hit, for a boxer hit hit hit hit, for a muy thai clinch and knee knee knee, for a grappler wrestle and break break break.

I'm a grappler...hehehe.
    A