Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gracie style = you die on the street?

Re: ?

Originally posted by omegapoint

BTW, Royce will be fighting in a duel Pride/K1 event in Tokyo on Sept.28. The guy he is fighting is bigger than him and is an olympic judo gold medalist. It is strictly submission grappling; no face strikes (strikes in general?) allowed. This will settle the Judo vs. BJJ debate. They are similar, but then again there are significant differences in approach. It will be interesting.
    Yes but every time Royce fight it has to be under HIS rules. Why cannot he just fight normal Pride rules. I love the new rules. Also it was brought up on the E-budo judo forum that this fight might be a work
    David Dow
    Bujinkan Anko Dojo
    www.taijutsu.com
    "Why try to KO the guy when you can stab him and watch him bleed to death." Toshiro Nagato

This will settle the Judo vs. BJJ debate.

No, no...this will settle the "Royce Vs. a Judo Guy" debate.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

There's a debate? Which thread is it on?
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

No debate

What I meant was, that the skill is in the person, not the style.

I was kidding, as there are like forty threads of the debate.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Talking

I should've known...silly me

"This will settle the Judo vs. BJJ debate.

No, no...this will settle the "Royce Vs. a Judo Guy" debate."
    Actually Felipe,
    I think this would only solve the "Royce vs. a Judo guy, in a single given match, on a single given night, with a given set of rules" debate (results may vary).
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

"Let me ask you this:Can you cross train to the point that you are familiar with anything that someone could possibly throw at you? Will you then be any good at any of them, or a master of none? How about you make them fight your fight? Its not that I completely disagree with you, but Im coming from a different point of view. Instead of worrying about what the opponent is going to do, make them worry about what your going to do! If you have a brain tumor, are you going to let your pcp operate, or a neurosurgeon?"
    mantiskilla,
    IMHO, I think your questions oppose what some (not all, of course ) people say of their kung fu style (ex. "I study a complete style. We address striking, locking, groundwork, weapons, multi opponents, etc. We train to be ready for a variety of situations, etc.").

At the same time, your questions support what some people (not all, of course ) say of their cross training ethic (ex. "My base style is BJJ. I cross train in Muay Thai to supplement my striking training. I want to be versed in striking enough to be able to control the fight on my terms.")

Overall though, I think what it supports most (again IMHO) is good MA training (maximizing your strengths while minimizing your weaknesses, not specific to any style).

BTW: I would say this quote - "If you have a brain tumor, are you going to let your pcp operate, or a neurosurgeon?", is very much like asking, "If you saw a fight between 2 guys go to the ground, would you think the fighter trained with the most overall skill will win, or the one specialized in ground fighting?
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Just one more (sorry, I'm bored :p ):

1) Looking at BJJISTHEBEST's post, it would appear that he never "submits" to proper capitalization and punctuation.

2) Why do so many people use Royce (or any) Gracie as the only example of what a grappler/groundfighter does or would do? Is there no one else that can be used support/oppose an opinion?

3) Also, why is Sakuraba the constant "evidence" of BJJ in decline? Isn't he a grappler (lots of wrestling and submission wrestling exp.) that is cross-trained in striking? (For the record, Sak is one of my heroes , and IMHO one of the reasons that he does so well in competition is that he appears as if he's not afraid to fail. He'll improvise with the most outrageous technique, but it looks so easy for him because he does it with full commitment and no hesitation.)

Sorry, just my rants (everyone else gets to have one)
    Last edited by Tigerstyle; 07-19-2002 at 01:32 PM.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Braden Guest
    omegapoint

"That's the thing about these d u m b a s s forums. Everybody claims this and that, but they don't know s h i t from shinola! They are usually speculating about something that they have a "feeling" about. No use of executive brain function, just emotional banter and echoing! Blind me with science and facts geniuses. I swear to God that I'll keep dissin' you fools, 'cause that's what Reality implores me to do."

Maybe people on these forums just keep getting confused, like you do when talking specifics about your med school and spec ops training. We all get confused, right? No biggie.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...threadid=14016

Learn how to use your body at its greatest potential, not through weight training, but by a study of human mechanics (plus chi never hurt) then it doesn't matter. With sharp, short power: who can grab and control you, who can collapse you.

The how and where (groung/feet) is inconsequential. White or black, check mate is check mate. Does it matter if its a rook or a queen? Better is better, smarter is smarter.

Where's the smiliey icon that has a hand over the bottom half of the face, as if it was Y A W N I N G ?
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen