Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basics, basics, basics...

Basics, basics, basics...

Basics, Basics, Basics.....

Some people said in another thread they felt some other people haven't really talked about basics so let's get started, shall we?

First of all, let’s list each one and why it is important:

YthingyMa – The foundation of wingchun, without it you cannot maintain your ‘balance’ or your structure. With it you can stay solidly connected to the ground and deliver energy from it up through your body to your target. I find that practising this every day helps me to stop really falling over or floating away in a cloud of insubstantial excitement. That is, if you really really practise it, if you get out there and practise it with other people, on a bus, on a train, on a plane, with Sam-I-am, with green-eggs-and-ham.

Punching – Somewhat interchangeable with the unpronounceable ma, punching is the connecting of your body through the joints, ligaments, bone and muscle. With punching practice your root becomes more solid yet relaxed and your structure allows you to develop energy and direct it through your body (or any other nearby conduit) and away from the ground, using the ground as a virtual ‘wall’. Or, if you think that the ground is actually a ground and you can keep your feet on it as opposed to wall which you'd fall off unless you really really had a good root (but it's not for me to say that none of you really have a good root, I haven't had a chance to root you yet, but let me say I've been out there and rooted a lot of people, and none of you really have a good root).

Siu Lim Tao - SLT is key and used in many ways: precision of structure, precision in striking energy, precision of root. If you really really have been out there and found and practised these things you don't talk about it at all... maybe because you can't explain it in a very real way, or maybe because while all of you smack talkers are here trying to talk about things like this we are actually practising, away on seminars, away with the fairies, away away over the Seas (and bottles) of Rye.

Chi sao - if you're really really good to your sifu he might let you experience chi sao. I mean really experience chi sao. This helps develop the other basics and sensitivity, some people say sensitivity is key: sensitivity to the elders of your line, sensitivity to other people who have interesting and useful thingies to contribute (that lets you lot out anyway) , sensitivity to your opponent's energy. But they are wrong, they are not really experiencing sensitivity like a twenty-nine year-old fight virgin *****... who is busy, so busy, (Burns in Smithers' wet dream voice) twirling, ever twirling, developing sensitivity to direct energy from his opponent's fist through his teeth and downwards into his jaw. Where, where is, where oh where is this insight really going? Well I'm sure you don't understand, not because you don't not understand what the **** I'm talking about but because you've never really experienced it in that other place that isn't here in my head.

Then we have advanced concepts. Some people say that some people don't talk enough about advanced concepts. Now it's important to talk about advanced concepts as if you imagine they are basic, so that you don't just try them, but you know that you can do them, probably (sorry no, not probably) even better than any other poor delusional practioners who have made it their adult life's dedication to learn and practise and absorb and make these thingies into part of their everyday training and deep misunderstanding.

Am I missing any marbles? Anyone have any new insights into these thingies?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Thumbs up

Not bad, a few things you forgot:

* The thumbs up icon on your own post, I tried to do that for you

* Mention your Sifu about 5 times while salivating all over the keyboard

* Imply everyone else is clueless at WC and assume nobody else takes the time to visit a variety of schools or do any research of their own

* Talk about blowing sunshine up people's butts

* typos,misspelled words and malapropisms

* Imply yuanfen is paranoid

But all up, I give it an A-. But of course you completely ignore advice or criticism, so who cares, right?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

3. I train real hard, do you? any thoughts? don't just mouthbox or talk smack, step up to the plate or go home cuz there is a storm coming and I am on it, are you?

Really really basic

• "If a small woman cannot do it, it isn't Wing Chun."
    • "But tom, but why." Don't be greedy; don't be afraid.
    • "Loy lau her soong; lut sau jik choong." Retain it when it comes, deliver it when it goes; charge forward when pressure is released.

Our colloquial reference to ground connection is "energy from the floor."

Our stance relies on 5 basic checkpoints, plus much detail implied therein.
    • Kim Sut knees in
    • Lok Ma sink in the stance
    • Ting Yu hips rolled under and forward
    • Dung Tau head up
    • Mai Jahng shoulders down, in all dimensions

More detail on all of the above 5 checkpoints can be referenced in the article The Soft Force of Wing Chun by Chris Eckert.

Shoulders must be down and relaxed throughout.
    Body and mind are settled.

Practice, training progression, and application are based on:
    • Position
    • Sensitivity
    • Power
    • In that order. With Timing and Speed as functions of Position and Sensitivity.

The most important 3 of these are
    [list=1][*]Position[*]Position[*]Position[/list=1]

Aims, in the following order, are:
    [list=1][*]Neutralize[*]Utilize[*]Optimize[/list=1]

And for good measure:

• Don't aim to be powerful. Let power be unintentional.
    • Hard work is the only secret. Savor the bitterness.
    • Learn to "listen" and "read" the opponent with your body, mind, and every sense.

Enough for now. Maybe we ought to do a new volume in the Nutshell series, LOL.

All credit and my gratitude owed to Ken, Leung Sheung, and Ip Man, who IMHO, understood the basics and their importance very well.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo
    Last edited by kj; 08-07-2002 at 05:03 AM.

P.S.

The advanced concepts are the basics.

LOL at you guys.

Kathy Jo, why'd you have to go and mess up Mat's perfectly good satirical post with all that substantive detailed info?

Mat, you also need to say Bruce Lee was a Wing Chun dilletante, and mention that high profile JKD exponent Emin Boztepe.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Editing Kathy Jo's Faux Pas

Hi Anerlich,
    Originally posted by anerlich
    Kathy Jo, why'd you have to go and mess up Mat's perfectly good satirical post with all that substantive detailed info?
    I swear we can't take her anywhere. She does that on purpose-you know, the thing with granting us credibility. It hurts after all this time to think she doesn't know better. I'll try to correct her mistakes....
    Mat, you also need to say Bruce Lee was a Wing Chun dilletante,
    Bruce Lee WAS a Wing Chun dilletante, but a very good one.
    and mention that high profile JKD exponent Emin Boztepe.
    Here's a clip of Emin Boeztepe not made in Minneapolis to my knowledge. Never mind politics, lineage, and anything else, just enjoy the video. 12 Megs, though. Hope everyone's got a wide pipe.

http://www.ebmas.net/video/History-of-Emin-Boztepe.mpg

Any thoughts? Are you excited?

Regards,
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

Re: Editing Kathy Jo's Faux Pas

Not the first time I've been called incorrigible, LOL.
    - kj

Smile

I just want to take the time to say hello to all of my fellow WC/VT practitioners. I have been reading alot of the interesting posts, comments, etc here in the WC/VT forums and I've learned alot also.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences with beginners to the style like myself. I, however, wont be saying too much on this forum - as I dont want to embarrass myself, my Sifu, or the style with a bunch of babble when I know that I would do a better service to read, learn, and continue to study.

For future reference my info is as follows:

I am in NY. My Sifu is a disciple of Moy Yat. I have been studying Ving Tsun for about 4 months now and I am currently at the Lap Sao level, 2nd part of Siu Nim Tao. I have a good relationship with my Sifu, I train hard, I practice often, I study books, I watch videos, I put my all into it - and I hope to be great in the style and do great things for the style.

So again, Hello to everyone! Thank you for your contributions and lessons - I will be continuously reading.

Take care.
    VT Disciple
    Relax

VTD

whos your sifu?

Hello Sunkuen.

My Sifu's name is Kevin Martin.
    Relax

VTD

You ever see the bugs bunny episode when he's a wrestler? When the other guy wants to shake Bug's hand the audience is screaming NNNOOOOOO!!! I think i heard those screams!!! Enjoy the trip....don't be one of those that can't see the forest for all the trees.

got ya ....
    Relax

thoughts on emin's video

Originally posted by John Weiland

Here's a clip of Emin Boeztepe not made in Minneapolis to my knowledge. Never mind politics, lineage, and anything else, just enjoy the video. 12 Megs, though. Hope everyone's got a wide pipe.

http://www.ebmas.net/video/History-of-Emin-Boztepe.mpg

Any thoughts? Are you excited?
    [/B]
    I'd have to say that my favorite parts are the Mission Impossible theme.

The opening and ending credits that take up more than half the video.

And the part where he's beating up a guy on the dance floor ... as women watch in horror.
    Last edited by gnugear; 08-08-2002 at 08:24 AM.