Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT:Does the triangle choke leave the groin open?

OT:Does the triangle choke leave the groin open?

It seems the guy getting choked has one hand free.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

Depends.

Sometimes you have both arms trapped. Sometimes the other arm is pinned against the ground (this happens). Sometimes I could see the arm being free, but usally i have them both. Unless the guy is really strong, i dont see him using his 'free' arm against your groin. In a 'real' fight, I would be concerned with being bitten or pickup up and slammed on my head.
    strike!

I bite wont stop some one from choking your ass.
    But alot of the time I do see the guy with his arm free.
    The point is sometimes it takes a while to get the guy to tap or choked out.With that time you could throw in a few nut shots and with enough time for the pain to really set in he may let go.

Just a thought.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

As tight as a triangle is, you won't have room to hit the nads with the free arm, and the trapped arm is being held by you. I don't think you have to worry much about a nad shot. Also, when people are getting choked, they aren't usually thinking about a shot to the nads, they panic and try to get their head out.

Picking them up is a worry, but once again - you are being choked. also, from my experience with the triangle, when people try to pick you up, they get into something similar to a horse stance - they need the broad base to pick you up. As soon as you see the legs separate or feel yourself being lifted, grab one of his legs.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

No Martial Joe. It doesn't.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I think being biten hurts alot more then being punched in the nuts. Specially if they sink thier teeth into some exposed skin.
    strike!

The thing about grappling: It's alot easier to watch & say I could do this or that.
    When you are actually training it you see most of those notions go out the window.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

not to be gross, but the nads are pressed so tightly into the guy getting choked (if its done right) that they arent really open to strikes.
    We're a nation of immigrants. Just like you. Just older, wiser, more thoroughly mixed, with larger genitals and a greater capacity for drink and sex-
    S Abrutat

It might be open to the guy's friends, who are there to stomp on you because you went to the ground "on the streets" .

If you went for the bite in a triangle choke, you could very likely be biting your own arm, 'cause it is being pulled across your head/neck (and is part of the reason you're choking).
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

From My experience is if the triangle is in tight you get disoriented almost instantanious. Now if the triangle is loose and you have good posture you might be able to strike the balls.

Here are some pics of triangles to give you an idea:

http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/pictu...3/ufc33_05.jpg

http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/pictu...fc37_03_19.jpg

http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/pictu...pride16_15.jpg

http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/pictu...pride15_06.jpg

to answer JOE question...no. There are more effective ways to escape it.
    A

Originally posted by LEGEND
    to answer JOE question...no. There are more effective ways to escape it.
    Like checking the oil?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

The groin is not open at all. The free arm can be easily controlled by your arm as well. Once you have that choke on, you wont sustain any damage. The guy will strugle to stay concious and will most likely be out within a few seconds. I had many skeptics tell me that they would bite my thigh or punch me. One guy said that he would use some pressure points or pinch my skin with his free hand causingme to let him go. Well, once that choke is on, all ideas go right out the window. Just ask a bjj or other grappler to put the choke on you. You'll be gasping and concentrating on staying allert. Also, every second that the choke is on, you feel weaker and weaker. Within 5-10 seconds, it's lights out.
    MA fanatic

Joe

Of course the groin is open, Joe; grapplers need luvin' and fondlin' just like everyone else does. It's similar to kung fu guys that get in deep horse stances to fight; sometimes they want to have their nads fondled by the opponent's foot. Hey, different strokes for different folks.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

Originally posted by MA fanatic
    The groin is not open at all. The free arm can be easily controlled by your arm as well. Once you have that choke on, you wont sustain any damage. The guy will strugle to stay concious and will most likely be out within a few seconds. I had many skeptics tell me that they would bite my thigh or punch me. One guy said that he would use some pressure points or pinch my skin with his free hand causingme to let him go. Well, once that choke is on, all ideas go right out the window. Just ask a bjj or other grappler to put the choke on you. You'll be gasping and concentrating on staying allert. Also, every second that the choke is on, you feel weaker and weaker. Within 5-10 seconds, it's lights out.
    MA fanatic
    I think that's a little too general. Neck size and strength comes into play there. I usually have time to try and sink my weight on top of the guy - if you have you weight and his hanging over him, his stomach and neck get very uncomfortable. Doing that will usually cause his triangle to break, and you can roll his leg off your shoulder and go into side mount. This doesn't work on everyone though. I have grappled people with extremely tight triangles, and good flexibility, and sinking the weight didn't do jack to them.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter