Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Listen Up! Possible Wing Chun magazine

ALIANY sez:i think it would be quite difficult to put a mag. like this together since most of the views would be contradicting. I would buy this mag if it had articles on/with Ken Chung, but that is just my bias. I think other lineages would want to see articles about their lineages too.. So good luck!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Its the diversity of view points that would be attractive to me.
    And i would subscribe.
    Why would I be primarily interested in articles from any one lineage, including mine? So black and blue--- go for it... but first as suggested ny others look over Ray's old (good) newsletters and Mark's. gettinga new mag to pay for itself is not easy.... unless you figure out how to put Britney doing chi sao on the cover or yet another newly discovered picture of Bruce lee
    toying with Elvis.

Realistically I think you would have to look at making this a bi-monthly or quarterly publication - I can't see the demand for a monthly - maybe that would cause distribution problems though.

THe first thing I would say is that a magazine for wing chunners should not just be restricted to wing chun. You could easily have articles on other martial arts, on fitness, strength, travel (training holidays in Hong Kong etc) all from a wing chun point of view. Just because I do wing chun does not mean I have no interest in other martial arts.

The second thing is if the mag is aimed at wing chunners then you can assume some knowledge on the part of the reader - if you pitch it at too basic a level then it will bore most of us - I want to know why when too often magazines just present that what.

Thirdly, whilst I am not advocating stirring up conflict - the mag would have to be a forum for debate where maybe differences between different lineages/ways of doing things could be explored.

Yeah I would subscribe.

E-mag?

B&B,

Have you considered an electronic magazine? -at least to begin with. That would eliminate a lot of (printing) cost right there. Your main cost it seems would be web space and servers. The main reason I suggest this is because I edit digital video and instead of pics of applications you could have streaming/downloadable clips of technique applications. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Smile Yes to some, no to others

Shadowboxer: Hi, I originally thought about posting on a website to cut costs, but the problem is that here in the UK no one wants to subscribe to anything on the net... everyone has the notion the web should be free (including everything on it)

Also, why would someone subscribe when their mate could simply send them the info? (Cut and paste, page grabs etc). This is such a pain in the butt - it would REALLY cut costs. But cheers, mate. At the moment all comments and pointers are a real help.

12345: Hello. As Rene Ritchie suggested, the 'basics' can be and should be shown by your instructor. As you said, I want to focus more on varying lineages and their approach, methods, training programmes etc. A mate sent me a tape the other day of non-Yip Man lineage WC in Hong Kong.... the varying dummy forms blew me away!!! Different footwork, stances, angles on the dummy. Amazing stuff that makes you go "Whoaaa!". This is the type of material we're interested in showing.

Thanks for the comments. You said you'll subscribe... I'll hold you to that. Maybe I can burn footage onto a CD and attach it.... Oh, B'Jesus, the costs. I think I need another visit to see the bank manager.

Yuanfen: LOL. I'm more than willing to try and get my hands on Ms Spears... for the mag you understand.... but thinking about it.............

Opps, sorry... was day-dreaming about palm strikes to the chest.

The more suggestions the better guys and girls. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Duncan
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Current Wing Chun Mag

I think Inside Kung Fu have release a couple of "Wing Chun" magazines as specials, I have seen two different ones.

I think they publish that annually !

Very glossy, full of adverts and not that much content but I had to have a copy

Ideas for a new magazine - Gear tests, testing focus pads, Jongs, knives, sparring gear etc. (A La "Which" magazine)

Good Luck with it

Nat from UK

Thumbs up Cheers Nat

By the bye... I'm on a Pau Fau Lain dazed trip at present.

Most embarrassing thing to happen today =

Coming back from lunch - lift doors open on third floor (I work on fifth) - four sales girls are standing there waiting to get in - I'm standing there (sleep deprivation led to this)... running through the first 10-12 motions of that Pau Fau Lain dummy form.

I'll have to avoid the third floor for at least a year
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Go for it...

Originally posted by Dragonhand
    Go for it...
    The magazine or the sales girls ?

Why not both? Remember why you buy the things men buy. Great advertisement.

Pau Fau Lain

I think they have more than one dummy form

Although someone more knowledgeable may know better - anyone out there any experiences of Pau Fau Lain ??

Nat from UK