Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do gymnasts train

Question How do gymnasts train

It seems to me that gymnasts would train for the same qualities of strength, flexibility and explosiveness that martial artist are looking for, so what are their methods?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

i have a friend who's a gymnast. he hardly ever lifts weights, does a lot of pullups/pushups and ab exercises, and advocates doing them really slowly. i think he gets most of his size/strength from doing his routines, ie by holding his body in positions for long amounts of time.

i think they aim for a balance of explosiveness and the ability to hold still in those weird positions.

Yes, and stance training is useless
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I believe 'ged' is onto something there. Gymnasts train a lot of static strength exercises (iron cross, L-cross etc.) along with ballistic movements, i.e. using explosive movements to get into these positions. Being able to move in and out of these postitions is where much of the strength is built (and it's quite admirable if you ask me...).

KG

Lots of chinups, handstand pushups and leg lifts. Other than that they just do the routines (which develop amazing strenght) and stretch.

Wall

Like this? I dunno.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Try this link as well.

It gives you a few programs.

Kempo Guy, cool link. Those little tool things they have are pretty cool, too. I saw you could order them there for either $39 or $60 or something depending on which ones you wanted. I wonder if you could make them for cheaper? They actually look useful, eh?

There's some cool exercises there, but it looks kind of like the biceps are neglected (but that's kind of to be expected as the biceps aren't usually used to hold you up against gravity).

That's what pullups are for.

IronFist

Iron Fist,

I'm pretty sure those handles are pretty easy to make... They look like large push up bars... I've tried some of the exercises with my push up bars and it works pretty well. The exercises I tried were the "L-sit", "Tuck sit" and "Tuck Planche". They are harder than they seem. I wouldn't try to handstands or handstand push ups with my push up bars though...

As for the bi's, I reckon you're referring to chin-ups, right? Yeah, I know, it's semantics but chin-ups work better for your bi's than regular pull-ups.

KG

Dude, you're right. Oops. Wait, chin ups are hands close together palms facing you, right? And pullups are hands far apart palms away from you.

I used to always make sure I said the right one. Oops, I guess I slipped up. Haha.

IronFist

heh, hell i call them all pullups.... and i do 6 different types, which probably all have different names for em, but i just call em all pullups =)

I can really recommend any routines for the pomel horse and excerises on the mushroom.
    Better yet just take up rockclimbing!
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Originally posted by Ka
    Better yet just take up rockclimbing!
    Touché.

Hey, did you mean you "can't" recommend any routines on the pommel horse? You said "can."

IronFist

Heh, well I just made a pair of paralettes.

Here's how I did it.

IronFist

Iron Fist,

How did they work out?

KG