Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did you pick your school?

Why did you pick your school?

Why did you pick the school you are at?

How was the information communicated? (in-person, lesson, free lesson, intro, brochure, phone book ad, magazine article, etc.)
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Judo - word of mouth
    bjj - word of mouth
    longfist - coincidence. I knew of the place but never dropped by since I was training muay thai at the time. when I stopped training in MT due to school schedule, I dropped by the kwoon.
    SC - invitation.

I was able to watch a few classes and participate in a few.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally as something to fill my time but I stayed on even though a couple of my friends left due to interest i guess and that was 18 months ago
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

the style (wing tsun) was word of mouth, but the school? couple free intro lessons to let me figure out if i wanted them, and let them figure out if they wanted me.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

wc- ran into sifu at hotel.
    jkd- found flyer in ma book at bookstore.
    bjj- looked in phone book.
    strike!

I read a lot about different martial arts before I found my school and narrowed my choices down to judo, aikido, Chen Taiji and wing chun. I couldn't find a judo school that matched my schedule. I went to an aikido and wing chun school and observed classes, but there was something I disliked about both of them.
    Then I went to two different schools that taught chen - but one could not answer any questions about applications. The other stressed the fact that to learn taiji, you had to learn to use it in a fight, even if you never planned on using it. That, and his school was full of weapons - I love weapons. I've been there for more than a 1.5 years, and have no interest in leaving.

I actually started looking through the yellow pages one day to see what was out there and found an ad for a school that a friend had once mentioned. I've always liked the CMAs, so I went down and tried it out. My old friend was still training there and had become the senior student. The style was impressive from day one - so I stayed on. That was almost 3 years ago.

Recently, I started BJJ and found that school on the web. I wanted to train under one of the few BBs in Australia so I picked a school that was a member of John Will's organisation.

The rest - as they say - is history.

Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

A friend introduced me.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Stacey Guest
    I tried it out because I enjoyed martial arts as a child.

I sparred a little the first day with an instructor student.

Before I could blink he had punched me and cut me under the eye. As I cleaned up the blood in the bathroom I knew that this was the real deal. I though "Cooool" as I put pressure on my wound.

I have had a thrist for blood ever since. Not other people's, but my own. I like it when my gums bleed. Its a release. Sometimes when I am away from sparring I have my best friend punch me in the mouth. He understands that I need it.

I get a fat lip and can taste the copper blood.

It sounds strange, but when your happiest moments are assosiated with it, it becomes normal. Like sore legs. The acid is fire element and it balances you out with the cool chi kung.

Talking Fate...

After a looooong time at Temple Kung-Fu, I left to search for something new that wouldn't hurt my bank book or my pride. I was tired of being nagged for buying more "memorabilia."

But enough of that!

I searched around the city, and found a couple of schools...gave them a shot for 3 months each...and found nothing I liked.

I went back to Temple Kung-Fu because I didn't think there was anything better out there...

I then thought after 6 months back that I should really give it my all, and go down and see lots of schools.

Some schools weren't open and wouldn't tell me of fees without an interview, etc. Some schools even asked me if I spoke Chinese as a first language...when I said no...they told me they didn't speak english, and hung up!

Eventually, I phoned my current Wing Chun school. The Sifu was open, and kind hearted. He welcomed me into his school and into his "family." He offered me a free class...then he offered me more free classes!!!!

I declined the free classes. This school was the real deal. Real CMA from a Sifu with over 35 years experience. I declined, and started paying.

That was almost a year ago...

After 8-9 years of modified Kempo Karate...it sure was hard to get used to...but I will train to the best of my perfection!

Good luck with everyone's school!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Most of the times either walked past a place and noticed that somebody was training there or got refered by a friend.

Most of the refered places are not schools perse, but simply places where a Sifu teaches.

I prefer the informal setting of being taught in a loaned school gym hall with no trappings, advertising, politics, etc.

Most of those places hardly advertise and most of the students are sincere about studying there.
    Cheers.

BJJ Internet. Got bored, walked in, liked the mentality and bought my gi the same day

Boxing--internet, checked it out, and it suited me.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Errrrrrrrrr~ I co-own it?? I guess that's my answer!!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

my brother started to teach a beguiners class so me and some friends went down and loved it

I didn't. My school picked me.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.