Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What style?

Question

Northern 7*Mantis WHF Linneage.

I have been observing this thead for several months, & waiting for the answers of what does Rei mean, what are the characters & others. Post from months ago stated you would answer after asking your teacher; Do you not see your instructor very often?
    Best Wishes,
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

I study a southern system of kung fu called Hak Fu Pai.
    A unique snowflake

BeiTangLang

Sorry to have kept you waiting....hehe .

We do see our instructor regularly however, recently he has been in china and now he has gone to do military service in his homeland. I did not have a chance to ask him while he was here and I had to go abroad shortly after his return from china
    I will do when he gets back in 2 weeks, definately, as he is going to be around for a while after that.

All is not lost however as his assistant is teaching us, and im polishing my forms.....

IN Japanese, "Rei" means anything from a salute, to an example, to zero, to a name, to "spirit" or "soul.
    I would like to think it is something similar, however our style as far as i know is fully chinese and this may have no significance....
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Thanks

I do not mean to be disrespectful to you or your fellow student, but it seems odd to me that so many would join a school basicly blind to what is being taught & not even know the meaning of the name of the system you are learning. I have done a little research & have found no system existing in China resembling that name; so I am very curious as to its origin. I also do not quite understand the secretive nature of the linneage as, so far, even the people I have spoken with from other styles & in China itself seem open & even anxious <sp> to let you know that their linneage is well established & historicly reccognizeable through public record (even if they are listed as a "club" or "society").
    I will be watching this for a while longer, but if it goes on too long, sorry but the answer to the questions have a life of only so long.

Thank you for your post & your reply,
    Best Wishes,
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

You'll find it very hard to find, even if you research.
    There are only a few practitioners who have 'mastered' the style, and I cannot give you enough information, I am not as close with my master as I would like, but then again i have not asked him any of these questions for the simple reason of learning now what I can reflect on later. I will gradually learn about my style....and my intent is not to represent my style as terms of giving all its historical background and spreading the word at this point.... like i said as i learn the style, I get to know the background, my teacher is very efficient in this way..... first I will master the style before getting in depth about history.

but it seems odd to me that so many would join a school basicly blind to what is being taught
    By no means is it this way..... I came initially to learn kickboxing, as this was what was advertised, but kickboxing only goes so far, and after learning the basics you move to the kung fu aspect of our style.....which we are told about.

What I can tell you a little about is my master and his lineage....
    He practices tai chi (daoist/ dao chi - decended from the man himself san shen feng) hsing i, and ba gua.....
    He also knows our style which incorporates these three also - rei.
    His teacher of rei has passed however there are a few in his generation who have mastered the style.

His Brother is also a martial artist, Hung Gar to be precise.
    He and his brother were taught by the student of the 'butcher' (portrayed in ONCE APON A TIME IN CHINA - Lam Sai-wing i think) who as you may know was one of wong fei hongs disciples.

I hope this has given you enough for now, as for you watching this thread, I will continue as long as people reply, and that does not seem to be receding.

soul
    Last edited by Souljah; 10-18-2002 at 05:12 PM.
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Hi Souljah...

ur profile says ur in London UK... where abouts do you train Rei? is there a website or any other information on it? Would be interested to find out more as i often go down to London

Right now i'm in the west midlands...

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

hey dezhen. Just read your post here after asking you a q in other thread which you have answered here

We train in east London, you know hackney?
    No website as of yet, but i'm trying to make one and should be online within the next 6 months (need to get alot of info from my teacher).

You can always come to the place if your nearby, we train on tuesdays and thursdays (and sundays in the park - though we'll probably be changing sunday venue as the weather is terrible
    )
    Right now my teacher is doing military service but will be back in about 2 weeks (have i already said this?)

Hope this helps you

soul
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Styles

Wing Chun here... (LT linage) for 9 month now....

Ciao
    June
    Last edited by WTJune; 10-15-2002 at 07:04 AM.

bao din shuai chiao
    n. shaolin
    ch'ang style taichi
    "heres to you as good as you are
    heres to me as bad as I am.
    But as good as you are,and as
    bad as I am,I'm as good as you are,
    as bad as I am"
    --
    "It's too bad my friend Chad's brother wasn't there, because he totally knows t'ai chi and sh*t."

good good , can you say how long you've trained please, it jus makes it more interesting

soul
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

going on 5 yrs?
    i don't remember exactly when i started, i'd have to go and look at some documents to give you an exact.
    "heres to you as good as you are
    heres to me as bad as I am.
    But as good as you are,and as
    bad as I am,I'm as good as you are,
    as bad as I am"
    --
    "It's too bad my friend Chad's brother wasn't there, because he totally knows t'ai chi and sh*t."

good, so far the most mentioned have been wing chun (as expected) and northern mantis..... not surprising these are the most popular as they each have a indiviual forum on this site
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

My Jhong Law Horn

Ten Years in total. Choy Li Fut and Yang style Taijiquan for the last 7 years.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Originally posted by Losttrak
    My Jhong Law Horn
    Mizong
    Mah Jhong Lo Han
    MiChung

like 80 diff ways to say it...

Lost Track to me...

www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.com
    Sweet..another MJLH practitioner. So hard to come by this style..it's so rare. Glad to see another on this board.