Thread: A question about Bruce Lee

A question about Bruce Lee

Now, I know this is sort of off the subject of JKD alone, but what was Bruce Lee's religion? I mean, I did a very informational research paper on him for my English class two years ago, but I am still dumbfounded as to what his religion was. Was if Buddist, or....?
    I hope someone can help me.
    Fear..............Fear attracts the fearful............The strong............the weak..........the innocent.........
    Fear is my ally.....................

Good Question

From all the research I've done of Bruce Lee, I think that he really didn't subscribe to any particular religion, while at the same time, he looked into as many as he could to find what he felt was a truth that ran through all of them. Since this is almost the same approach he used to form JKD, I guess you could say JKD was his martial art, life, AND religion.

Yep, pretty much.
    Bruce actually was raised for a period in a Catholic school if I recall correctly. He was heavily influenced of course by Taoism and Buddhism, but when asked about his religion in an interview he claimed he didn't adhere to any religion whatsovever.

In reality though, he spent a good amount of time in meditation, researching ethical theories, etc. His religious side, Bruce kind of kept more to himself. It wasn't any "one" religion... but just like was said above... probably the "JKD" ideal.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

religion of the little dragon

He had strong Taoist and Buddhist leanings - you can see it in his notes (posthumously published as "books". The very concept of JKD has roots in Taoist and Buddhist philosophy, more Taoist to my reading. But keep in mind, he was a philosphy student, so he was by nature an explorer. My wife is a philosophy & religion graduate student and although she is very spiritual, I'd have a hard time pinning her down to one religious/philosophical belief.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have never met bruce lee and from what I read he never labeled himself to any religion. He once said, "Quite frankly I do not believe in God." BUt it is my opinion that Bruce Lee had some moral understanding of the spirit without the boundings of titles and cultural history.

Bao

To Create anything is to touch the head of God.