Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pong Lai Seminar

Exclamation finis!

'Theory' (i.e. intellectual knowledge) + application drills = ability/gut-level-understanding. Isn't that what we're all trying to say here?

---------------------------------------

Pong Lai, Yu Shan: do you have a website for your school(s)? Some web hosts are cheap ($10/month), others are cheaper (free). A website is a good way to advertise / announce seminars, etc. If you can't find someone to do it (make a webpage for you), I'd be willing (for free) to slap together something simple for you. (Why? In the interest of promoting traditional CMA, ofcourse!... as long as there is no anti-WL material )

The subject of this thread is the Pong Lai seminar but the topic of conversation seems to be “tech vs. “theory””. Which is some what confusing since every one agrees you need one to have the other. We all see the same thing but from different prospective, I guess. When you break it down to KISS, you find that it is all the same, the "proper" steps to learning, that is. The first step is seeing it done then copying or trying to duplicate what your learning. Then you practice, practice, practice, and as you do you start to have a better understanding about what your doing. As you develop a better understanding of what your doing you begin to understand more about yourself and your limitations. As you push past your limitations you evolve. As you evolve your technique and your understanding become one. This applies to all sorts of learning. I know I have a long way to go, but at least I can see the path and am not groping around in the dark, I hope the same for everyone.

Peace

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Get Together

Yegor: Thanks for the offer for helping out with a web site.
    I am starting to get around to planning one. Just have been pretty busy with the normal juggles of work, family, and a school.

As far as the Pong lai seminar, I hope that everyone that attends can bring along with them the same questions, theories, and practices that they display on this forum. It would then prove to be a very exciting, enthusiastic workshop.
    I state the above without contest!

Since just about everyone here has refelected on one aspect or another of their talents and abilities, we can even all consider to form an annual "get together" where each particpant selects and instructs a workshop, in an effort to promote CMA as we are all hoping. I would be more than delighted to host the first gathering?!?!?! Not an association nor just another form as taught in most tournament seminars. Kind of like what the old WU Dang club had orginally in mind. maybe this should post as a new thread?

Get Together

Yegor: Thanks for the offer for helping out with a web site.
    I am starting to get around to planning one. Just have been pretty busy with the normal juggles of work, family, and a school.

As far as the Pong lai seminar, I hope that everyone that attends can bring along with them the same questions, theories, and practices that they display on this forum. It would then prove to be a very exciting, enthusiastic workshop.
    I state the above without contest!

Since just about everyone here has refelected on one aspect or another of their talents and abilities, we can even all consider to form an annual "get together" where each particpant selects and instructs a workshop, in an effort to promote CMA as we are all hoping. I would be more than delighted to host the first gathering?!?!?! Not an association nor just another form as taught in most tournament seminars. Kind of like what the old WU Dang club had orginally in mind. maybe this should post as a new thread?

Pong Li , Great Idea, I think your gym would be nice acomidations for such a gathering. I would respectfuly want to be part of this GET TOGETHER. Lets do it. or pehaps we could me at some beach resort and mix in some r&r? Just an idea.

Pong Li , Great Idea, I think your gym would be nice acomidations for such a gathering. I would respectfuly want to be part of this GET TOGETHER. Lets do it. or pehaps we could me at some beach resort and mix in some r&r? Just an idea.

the story

So how did the seminar go?
    Did you learn everything on the list?

the story!

A big success, as for the list, much more! My question to you is why didn`t you Tainan Mantis back up your KF brother and give us a plug? You had plenty of time to give your in-put on our "seminar". Have you forgot your roots? You seem to forget Shr ZhengZhong and where HE has brought you. Only because all we hear is the russian guy, you never give Shr-yi`s name. Why do you not give Shr ZhengZhong credit to where you are in your training? Tell the real story...

Jim, where did that come from? and I'd like to know ,how was it. I'm sure if it was anything like the seminars I've been to w/ pong Li it was great. give us some details .

Plug

Jim,
    Sorry I didn't give you a plug earlier when it would have had meaning to you.
    Do you plan on hosting more seminars?

As for the other questions of yours...they are unexpected.
    The forum, to me, is a place to share knowledge of information.

Roots...
    Since joining here I have learned many new things in my private training.
    Some info, such as what I learned from Ilya Profatilov and Robert Hui, I have posted publicly.

Other people have asked that they remain anonymous.
    We are just trying to increase our depth of knowledge.

I first learned this lesson from my Wah Lum Sifu who gave me nothing but encouragement in going East to further my studies(Thanks again Sifu).

Since I have been here I have learned this same philosophy from Shrfu Shr who has gone to study with many masters while I have been training with him. In some cases he brought me along.

I have posted stories about Shr Fu and his teachers as well as Shrye Li Hongjie. You saw him while you were here.

Also, it has been posted on the TJPM website. That is the highbrow PM forum.
    Some of this info has been published in Steve Cottrell's PM magazine.
    That is a mag devoted to PM of all styles.
    I'd post a link, but I don't have that computer skill.
    I wrote an article about the many types of empty hand and weapon two man sets.

That week you were here I conducted an interview with Li Hongjie. He also spoke about going to study with different masters.
    He is the one who encouraged Shr fu to study with 6 Harmony PM master Jiang Hsiangsan.

Next time he travels to the states I'll be sure and let everyone know that his seminars are open to people of all schools.

It would be nice to get a report on what happened from you guys afterwards.

Hey Guys,

How'd it Go? Sorry I missed it. I bet it was awesome as always.

Tainan,

where can I get a copy of that magazine you mentioned.

Jim,

Drop me an email.
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

Kevin

My last post was a bit curt, I apologize. You are a figure renowned and respected on KFO, and my KF Uncle.

As for posts/info on Shr ZhengZhong, you must have alot of stories and info to share, he does have quite the reputation! Is he the fighter we here about...I see it in Shr fu John!

Cross-training in "other" styles. In my previous style this was OK only if it was a crony of this Teacher/Master. Should you "sneak" behind your teacher? Cause I think it really happens in CMA. This being said, I`m very happy training with Pong Lai.

Give my best to Shr fu Shr, and Shrye Li Hongjie.

Shrfu Art

The weekend was great, everyone got there moneys worth, and more! The high intellect of KF and basically the run your ass into the ground! Sound familiar...

E-Zine

KFO's feature E-Zine article is on this seminar
    Good job Darryl!