Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun hard sparring ideas.

On being hurt and hard sparring:

Dit da jow.

1 sip will make you a WC master in seconds.
    strike!

KJ,

It seems we are both on the same planet. I have read many of your postings within this forum, you are the voice of reason. I have been training in martial arts for a great length of time. There were periods of inactivity due to injuries from improper training. From that, and physical therapy, I learned the limitations of my body. Train smart, and you will continue training to a ripe old age.

As a side note, I agree with your interpretation of the Wing Chun system. It seems we follow a similar methodology. I have met people, and touched hands, who have trained with your sifu, Kenneth Chung. I would enjoy an opportunity to meet you if I am ever up in your area.

CH

Yenhoi,

I spar regularly, light to full contact. I do not shy away from it for fear of injury. Injuries are part of the game. That is not the issue of my posting. My primary inquiry was the danger of doing "shock ups" on the shoulder joint. It may work for others, but not for me.
    The years I put in, and the injuries (tendinitis in my joints and rotator cuff are some of them) taught me how to train properly.

That was over five years ago, and I have not had any since that time.

CH

Re: Re: Wing Chun hard sparring ideas.

Originally posted by anerlich

Yeah, and doing too much walking hurts your feet.

Presumably Mr Bao's teachers have been doing this for some time without detrimental effects, and they regard the practice as beneficial.

Walking is natural for human beings. We do not do "shock ups" as part of our daily life. Unless you would like to try it.

Originally posted by anerlich

I've been told by various internet WC experts that my lineage's version of the basic stance will result in major knee problems. I've been doing it for 13 years, my Sifu for 28, my Sigung for about 45. I've yet to come across any student with knee problems in which this is a contributing factor.

Suffice to say, "where's your proof?"

What does your version of the basic stance have to do with my initial inquiry? I do not know how you sit in your basic stance. I am not an internet WC expert. There is no right or wrong way.
    Last edited by Chuk Hung; 10-29-2002 at 06:02 PM.

Walking is natural for human beings. We do not do "shock ups" as part of our daily life.
    There are plenty of things in WC we do not do as part of daily life. I do a number of plyometric and tendon strengthening drills as part of my training. No damage as yet.

What does your version of the basic stance have to do with my initial inquiry?
    Iy wasn't an inquiry, it was a statement of opinion that Mr Bao's Sifu's training was unhealthy.

My point was that some people (look in the mirror) take it upon themselves to tell other people what training practices are good or bad, whereas in truth as long as one is careful and keeps an eye on their goals,

There is no right or wrong way.
    You have elucidated my point. Thank you.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

CK:

You have to develop some joint strength to really punch. I mean your wrist, elbow, and shoulders should have the strength to support yourself and then some. If you want to play wing chun with me since you are in my neck of wood. You will see that I am not tensed up or muscle headed person. However, after doing some shock ups tonight. My sifu commented to my sidai that before I met him I had forearms thin as a girl and couldn't do one shock ups. lol.

Oh well, if we practice too soft or too hard, we are ignorant of
    wing chun totally. I believe we need to be relax first then blow up like a bomb when the time is right in doing wing chun techniques. Not necessary in chi sao, because chi sao isn't fighting but a drill for refinement of our structure and basic concepts of wing chun and etc.

If you want to meet up and I am free after 4pm on the weekend,
    that is after class in flushing, we can meet up in chinatown in nyc for some food. I know I am always hungry after a wing chun class.
    Mr. Bao

"A gung fu man, then, should be soft-yet not yeilding; firm-yet not hard." Lee Jan Fan

Mr. Bao

I am having a hard time pictureing your "shock ups." Are they like knuckle push ups? When you do them, do you push up off the ground so that your fists are off the ground and then you land on them with your arm straight and elbows locked?

Also, do you know any exercises to help develop power in the wrist?

One of the drills that we have started recently is you have 3 people, 2 holding pads and one attacking the pads, the guys with the pads move towards you at 45 or 90 degrees angles and you attack the pads using proper footwork and stances for a minute then swop over,
    U.F. you may be doing this already, there are also mini circuit type drills incorporating pads and blitz defence, which originate from W.T. in Denmark.
    regards
    Peter

Power drills creates and trains tension. Which contradicts the basic tenet of Wing Chun, which is relaxation in movement. It conditions the body to be in a constant state of tension. I spar on a regular basis, but I adhere to the principles of the system. Power generation is from the ground via rooting. Along with development of proper body mechanics.
    You've clearly never done plyometrics of any sort, thrown an implement (track and field) of any kind or done any sort of explosive (olympic) style weight training ever. Relaxation is key to proper execution in all three of these endeavors.

You've also VERY CLEARLY, never boxed. A tight boxer is a slow and tired boxer and a slow and tired boxer loses. Badly.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Chuk Hung
    Train smart, and you will continue training to a ripe old age.
    At my age, that's the only valid option.

I would enjoy an opportunity to meet you if I am ever up in your area.
    It would be a pleasure to meet you. Please do let me know if you're ever up and over this way . You can reach me via email any time; PM's don't work as well since I rarely check for them.

Thanks for your kind words.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Churn:

There are many ways to develop your wrist. You can get a rolling pin. The width should be thick as someone's arm and attach it to a bleach bottle and do wrist extension and flexion.

You can also get an iron bar and do some figure eight movements this should develop your wrist some.

Good luck
    Mr. Bao

"A gung fu man, then, should be soft-yet not yeilding; firm-yet not hard." Lee Jan Fan

A little off topic maybe, I don't know.

Could somebody please tell me why UF asked for "hard sparring," ideas and got padwork or limited two man drills?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Put on the gear (minimal on hands forearms - try NHB gloves - use the headgear), and have partners that studied other arts attack you using their experience from the other systems, boxing, wrestling, etc. - no Wing Chun.

This can be done progressively, having them start out with simple direct attacks and leading up to more complex fake/combo type attacks as you get more comfortable.

This will work well if you can find or have good people from whatever art they studied and better still if they have little or no Wing Chun. The latter will provide a more natural reaction from them as you work on your attack/counter attack.
    Last edited by YungChun; 10-31-2002 at 06:00 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

For U.F.
    Have you been to Fight Club? Theres one on Sunday in Wimbledon.
    Regards
    Peter

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Bao
    [B]CK:

You have to develop some joint strength to really punch. I mean your wrist, elbow, and shoulders should have the strength to support yourself and then some. [b][quote]

If you want wrist strenght. try practicing hook punches (yes, the wing chun hook) on a boxing bag rather than just chainpunches.

Avoid elbow strikes on a heavy punchbag however as the shock can danage the spine.
    FCF: So, who will you be facing at the next PRIDE event?

'It doesn't matter who the opponent is, I expect to win by knockout'

-Vanderlai Silva