Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is praying mantis a fighting style or pure art form?

i have read alot of your posts and they seem far fetched. are you a real person or a made up character like ashida kim?

I fail to correspond with " I was horrified because that wasn`t part of the rules" Rules with fighting??? What F'N rules! Luckily my opponent was gracious... good luck in your future and this peace-nik attitude towards FIGHTING! Get some b*lls!

Ah, yu shan, cut him some slack. He obviously meant "contact sparring with a few rules", not "plain fighting".

I have a serious question for you: "Do you find that your training is making you a more agressive person?" Please answer w/out profanity, if possible.

Response to wiz cool c

You're welcome.

I'm afraid I don't know of any clips of two man sets. But that doesn't mean they don't exist out there somewhere.
    A "Laughing Buddha" or "Dai Tao Fut" is usually found cavorting in front of and leading the lion(s) in a Southern Lion Dance troupe.

I speak for myself and not for my Si Fu nor kwoon, so any errors I make are mine alone.

One thing I always feared when training is when i would lose control. When we spar it is controlled. But when I lose control especially due to alcohol i tend to be pretty scary. As I am comitted to continue training in 7* I plan on giving up alcohol completely. I am worried that one day I may hurt someone due to my training and my drunken stupor. This is especially hard when you are 22 and are at the prime of partying....

hungry

Alcohol should not take over ya bro. I know wghen you get drunk mantis may be the first thing in your mind, but control you must learn control.

Yu Shan Why is it important to put out the " we have it you don't " energy? I don't think it represents PONG LI well. Most of us that know John & kevin or have met w/ lao shi know that what he teaches is complete, and I would add of high quality.

please use the forum to share information w/ us , provoke thinking about PM. Leave the judgment of what others have or have not out of it.

mpeg clip

If someone has the know-how to post an mpeg vid clip I can e-mail it to you for posting.

It will include some sparring stuff using PM.

mpeg clip

just add it as an attachment when you post..........

Valid extensions don't list mpeg, but thanks for the tip. I think I can post still pics here.

mpegs

No prob
    someone Tainan out I am sure we would all like to see dem clips!

"We have it you don't"

No such thing, only if your Teacher knows it. Not everyone knows it... but arn't we always learning?

It is an insult to me by the thread starter, is Praying Mantis a Fighting Style.

Thumbs up

"insult to me by the thread starter"

If you say that in lip synch, yu shan, you would be the ultimate HK 70s movies bad guy!!!

just kidding.

Anyway, wiz cool c, you live in Queens.

I am originally from Long Island and would love to show my art to you in person. You are a very thoughtful martial artist.

Maybe we can meet at Dachengdao's school at some point or something.

First off i have sparred whal lum people twice. I went there for the two week full time training program and braught my sparring gear. They had sparring class on thursday they must of took this as a kind of challenge. They put in a tall lean chinese guy. It was three three minet rounds in a taped off ring. I had brought my fome type of sparring gear with a open faced head gear thinking it would be light freindly type of sparring. They all had caged off head gear. The first round i start by tapping him in the head with a round house kick then he starts firering punches at my face full contact. The first round he lit me up. So the next round i said to my self keep your hands up and use your kicks which are real good form 7 years of tang soo do i did as a teen. I did just that and tore up his legs they said i was kicking his nees but that what i do when someone trys to take my head off. When he gave up trying to use his hands and kicked i would jam his kick with mine. One point he got throw my kicks and i tied him up in a clinch and reaped him onto his back. Another point i cought his roundhouse kick reaped his suporting leg, at this point i could have easly done a standing ancle lock but knew this is foren to there sparring so i did a mock stomp to his groin which would have ended it. Anyway after the first round he diden't lay a hand on me. The next thursday they put me up againt this chineze guy who was riped and had long hair in a pony tail he looked like a character from street fighter. Theres know way this guy was in my wieght class. They had us do a round of defence and a round of offence each then a free style round which was even. At about the last ten seconds of the match he kicked a long cut i had down my shin from the thursday before and the teacher Chan Poi who was reffing said ok stop. Anyway these guys could fight but they are not really mantis right? And althougt they could kick box well in the two weeks i was there we did form not one single applocatoin or partner training. So you live in phoenix. Never met me, dont know me, my skill, size anything . But you know that your kung fu is unstopable so you will chanlege anyone just like in the moveis. Ok fly down to ny and tell me where you will be when you get here.

Look wiz cool c, I'm not trying to flame you or kick your butt.

I don't doubt for a second that you really did what you did to those Chinese guys. Your analysis is that of somebody who actually fights - and fights WELL.

I really liked this thread here that you set up, and I didn't agree with yu shan saying that this thread was an insult to him. Do you actually agree with him or something?

Never did I say that my kung fu was "unstoppable." That's what you said, not me. I have and will be beaten by others, and there's no shame in that. DON'T MISQUOTE ME.

As I said, it would be an honor meet you in person because you're a real martial artist and a good fighter.

I hope that you don't change my good opinion of you.