Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: breathing?

breathing?

</lurk>
    Hi all. I wonder if any of you could give me some basic advice on proper breathing technique. The school I train with teaches us to hold our breath until after a strike, but I know that's not right, and I don't have any conception of breathing rhythm/timing for sparring and forms. If anyone has a link to a good web page on breathing technique that would be enough; I just need something to start with. Thanks from a struggling newbie
    <lurk>

We are taught to breathe out as we strike.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

Thumbs up

Opinions and methods vary but it is quite universal that breathing out while striking both saves your health and does wonders for your technique.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Yup you should breathe out with the strike, not after it. If you give a little yell (or a "yee" or whatever your system likes to holler) with each strike that will ensure that you breathe correctly and adds power to the punch.

On really hot training days the instructors tell us to yell when we strike -- it ensures that we keep breathing and don't pass out.

When we do warmup kicks (not regular kicking) we breathe in as the kick comes up and out as it goes back down. For regular kicks we breathe out with the strike. Just FYI.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Exhaling when you issue force is not "better"; it just raises the stakes.

Raises the stakes of what? Yeah I knew holding your breath was stupid, too bad I can't just trust that what I'm being taught is "real" kung fu. I'm still curious as to what to do with a long sequence of motions like a form or a series of kicks or punches (one shallow breath per strike, or one deep breath in followed by a partial exhalation on each strike?) Thanks for the responses tho.

-A

Thumbs up

Partial exhalation with serial strikes is used,again,not the sacred pattern but used still.
    Like as you´d strike three times,you´d regulate your breathing to exhale a bit on every strike.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

What happens to your car when the tires don't have enough qi? LOL. Or, what happens when your lungs are completely empty and you get hit? Try it yourself and see what happens.

Why does the breathing need to be fancy?
    If you don't yell, will you forget to breathe?

i trained in systems that say breathe out as well as what i do now which says just breathe naturally... both seem to have different functions.

what happens if you have to strike while at the end of the out breath or breahting in?

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I was taught to exhale as I punched in boxing, FWIW.

Of course, boxers know nothing about punching or getting hit so maybe you shouldn't follow that advice

Honestly, I don't think the reason is that mystical--I think a lot of people hold their breath when exerting themselves. If you train yourself to exhale when striking, it's not like you'll forget to inhale
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by [Censored]
    Why does the breathing need to be fancy?
    If you don't yell, will you forget to breathe?
    Not fancy and, well, yes. Generally, when I spar new students, more than anything else I have to keep reminding them to breathe. I think that, when you're nervous or tense, the tendency is to hold your breath. You just tire out so much easier when you do that. I've sparred new students who were runner, so they had more stamina. But I exhausted them because they got tense and forgot to breathe. Same with doing forms. You're concentrating on so much else you sort of forget to keep breathing steadily.

So, by training a student to breathe out when she hits, what you are really training her to do is keep a steady flow of air through her lungs.

So, dezhen, I think the two schools are sort of the same. If you are having trouble breathing naturally, training yourself to breathe out when you punch is a way to get closer to it.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

Great minds think alike.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

So, by training a student to breathe out when she hits, what you are really training her to do is keep a steady flow of air through her lungs

That's crazy talk. The mark of an oxygen-starved brain. LOL, you'd better start punching your monitor before you pass out.

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Great minds think alike.
    Heh, I missed that before. Steal my thunder will you?!?!?!

We'll see about that.

eulerfan

I make that exact mistake all the time

[censor] guy...so what happens if you get punched with no air?