Thread: KungFu in California or Hawai'i

KungFu in California or Hawai'i

Evening all,
    I'm about to enlist in the Marines, and ship to Parris Island on the 6th of January. Most likely, after training, I'll be stationed either in Camp Pendleton, CA or Kaneohe Bay, HI.

Question is: Does anyone know of reputable instruction in KungFu/CMA in Oceanside/Pendleton area, or on the island of Oahu.
    Systems I'm interested in:
    Bajiquan
    Hung Gar
    Wing Chun
    Tiger-systems

I have zero experience in Chinese Martial Arts. I'm a Shodan in Shotokan Karate-do, out of the dojo about 13months. Looking to diversify my experiences. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

I can't help you with Hawaii, but maybe California. My school is in San Diego, but it is right outside of MCAS Miramar. This is about 40 miles south of Pendelton. Let me know if you want info.
    Got Lineage?

Outstanding! What system and lineage, if you don't mind me asking? 40 miles is nothing.

Steven

Don't know of any good schools down that way,

but I just wanted to issue a very hearty

OOOOORAH!!!!!!

From a broken-down, pencil pusher who turned 3811, Parris Island "Semper Gumby", reservist, who fought with I MEF in Desert Storm.

Great choice of services, bro. Good luck down there....heh heh heh, you'll need it. Especially during hell week!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Copyright 2003 - African Tiger Inc., a Nevada yada yada yada. Any reproduction...oh, to hell with that round kick, my knees are killing me. How about a nice Iron Palm to the nuts, sonny?

It is a Southern Internal art called BakFuPai. Lineage is Doo family from Fong Doe Duk of Shaolin temple in mid 1600's.

I have been training there for 6 years and love it. We have classes all through the week every day and almost all hours to meet students various time schedules.

I don't want to be selling the school on this board, most people aren't interested. If you want more info, send me a private message and I'll answer any questions you have.
    Got Lineage?

a branch of our school teaches in hawaii, teaching dayan qigong, chen taijiquan and wing chun... look at tse qigong centre for more details pm me if you have any questions or want more info

good luck!
    dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Originally posted by SCFalken
    Outstanding! What system and lineage, if you don't mind me asking? 40 miles is nothing.

Steven
    If 40 miles is nothing than we are a bit closer than San Diego. My teacher teaches Baji from Liu Yun Chaio - Li Shu Wen. He also teaches Bagua, Tai Chi Chuan, Longfist and Mantis amoung others. We are in the LA area. His classmate, Adam Hsu had class in SF but I think he has permanantly relocated back to Taiwan. You might see if some of his students are meeting up There. Same Baji lineage although I think the Chen Tai Chi lineage is different. Still good though.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

There is a LOT of schools closer, Encinitas, Oceanside it's self, Escondido. Those are mainly Choy Li Fut, Bagua, Tai Chi, Hung Ga schools. If you go down into Diego, there's Xing Yi, S. Mantis, Yang Style Tai Chi, Northern Shaolin. I believe there's San Soo in Oceanside and Choy Li Fut in Oceanside.

Look around, Diego is FILLED with CMA!! And if 40 miles is nothing, there's more to the north in OC area.
    The sign over the toilet says:
    "Do NOT eat the big white mints!"

Agreed, Southern California is full of Martial Arts school. I highly recommend you ask lots of questions of each of the schools that interest you.

You might want to try an online Yellow Page search of schools in Hawaii and SoCal. Also do a Google search and start checking out websites.
    Got Lineage?

Try this to find schools near you.School Search
    The sign over the toilet says:
    "Do NOT eat the big white mints!"

If you end up in Hawaii, I have Wing Chun friends who studied under Ben Der (Yip Man/Leung Sheung/Ken Chung) or Robert Yeung (Yip Man/Wong Long). I'm sure they know others from other lineages. Send me a note when you find out where you will be located and I'll contact them for you.

Aloha!