Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would you follow your opponent to the ground?

and you were a wrestler.

Good point about slamming vs. the guard. If you have enough strength, a la the Bob Sapp / Minotauro fight, except on a hard surface.

If the flow of a takedown gave me an advantageous position, I would follow and use my basic knowledge of positioning and strikes on the ground, against an unknown opponent. I might try a choke, eye or groin clawing, but definitely no fancy arm breaks. If he managed to pull something like a guard I would try to elbow my way out...

NOT saying that I am better than a comparably trained bjj stylist
    but I'm aware of the same things.

-Good. Gotta start somewhere.

I would like to suggest that a competant martial artist in any
    system should (should!) be aware of body mechanics. Anything
    anyone can do with their body can be read by someone skilled
    enough to read body movement. In a random situation you
    DON'T know what any particular person is capable of so it comes
    down to reading their body movements and making the best
    judgement call that you can.

- While in theory I think you are 100% correct, the reality of a situation doesn’t give you time for such analysis. Adrenaline dump, heart thumping, legs shaking, tunnel vision. While you be able to still recognize telegraphed movements or in grappling, feel a weakness in his base, you’re still on autopilot…

I would like to add that if I had someone fully hooked up in my
    double leg that I would sure as hell be trying to make them
    unconscious or at least mightily stunned with the impact of the
    fall. Might not do it but I would go as far as to sacrifice myself
    to a minor injury to get their head to the concrete first.

- as a wrestler turned sanshou player turned judo/bjj player, There is one thing I know – throws/takedowns and the aftermath- falls.

You’d be very surprised at how difficult it is to knock a guy out with a throw. Throw to control and either “mount him” for control or while standing make a choice to run or to finish what you started.. don’t throw with the expectation that it will KO him. You’d be better off with a swift uppercut or palm strike or a neck strike eye jab to stun him.

Nice talking to you Matt.

Btw : your footer; trick question. Pie IS heaven!
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Adrenaline dump, heart thumping, legs shaking, tunnel vision.

Isn't this happening on both sides?

you’re still on autopilot…

true, but that's what we are training for: the ability to have our
    style work whether we are thinking about it or not.

You’d be very surprised at how difficult it is to knock a guy out with a throw.

Not at all, I know it is rare to improbable to count on a KO but
    I'll take even a split second of a stun after a throw to count it
    as a succesful throw.

Good talking to you as well.

Btw : your footer; trick question. Pie IS heaven!

ahhh...PIE (moment of silence for all the pies slain in the past
    few weeks)
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by fa_jing
    Good point about slamming vs. the guard. If you have enough strength, a la the Bob Sapp / Minotauro fight, except on a hard surface.

If the flow of a takedown gave me an advantageous position, I would follow and use my basic knowledge of positioning and strikes on the ground, against an unknown opponent. I might try a choke, eye or groin clawing, but definitely no fancy arm breaks. If he managed to pull something like a guard I would try to elbow my way out...
    nothing fancy about arm breaks, really. you just take them if the opportunity there. alot of times, those are accomplished easier than chokes, as people tend to leave their arms available if they have no grappling experience.

if you're in someone's guard, I'd reccomend getting out first, not elbowing. stand up and slam him if you can elbows are short range, and guard can be used to control distances, in addition to him trying to control your arms so that you don't hit him.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think he meant to use elbows to facilliate the escape.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

if i'm fighting an opponent and they're on the ground, it's from me executing a sucessful sweep, trip or throw.
    if i've done it correctly, i'll either have control of an arm with them on the ground, or they've landed on their face/head/neck.
    if i have the arm, there's the set up for an arm break or other attack.
    if they've landed on their face/head/neck, most likely there isn't going to be much more of a fight.
    either way, i'm getting out of there asap.
    "heres to you as good as you are
    heres to me as bad as I am.
    But as good as you are,and as
    bad as I am,I'm as good as you are,
    as bad as I am"
    --
    "It's too bad my friend Chad's brother wasn't there, because he totally knows t'ai chi and sh*t."

If the poor bloke hasn't just up and given me the arm bar/break
    then I like to start small circle and work into it...a finger lock to a
    wrist lock to the elbow to the shoulder...again, that is if I am
    fighting for the control and a lot of that depends on the pain
    control of the opponent...breaking something doesn't always
    finish the fight. Also, you reliquish some control of the opponent's
    body when you break something...you can no longer control
    their skeleton from beyond the break. You can of course control
    them with the pain of having the broken bit twisted around a
    whole bunch.

the pinching, grabbing, twisting and elbowing I've been talking
    about were not intended to finish anything...just attempts to
    create advantage. My ultimate goal would be to get out if
    that was the most advantageous tactic at the time.

Also, there is a 3rd area of chin na besides joint and muscle
    manipulation: Cavity Press. This requires a higher level of
    experience and skill to apply...a level I am not exactly at but
    some of those targets are also on my list of places to grab.
    I could get lucky

matt
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Without having read the whole thread, I possibly shouldn't post, but in answer to the question: in a self defense context, if my opponent was going to the floor I would think "job done: and leg it.

I don't know sh!t about ground work and would never go there willingly.

Originally posted by Oso
    >Adrenaline dump, heart thumping, legs shaking, tunnel vision.
    Isn't this happening on both sides?
    Why would you ever want to count on the assumption that the other guy doesn't have a complete immunity to adrenaline problems, three knives, two guns, friends with rifles a block away, and the entire police department of the city on his payroll?
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Originally posted by JusticeZero
    Why would you ever want to count on the assumption that the other guy doesn't have a complete immunity to adrenaline problems, three knives, two guns, friends with rifles a block away, and the entire police department of the city on his payroll?
    D@mn, you know too much about me!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Justice Zero

who say's I'm not the one with comlete zenlike control over
    my self?

Plan for the worst.
    Always.

That really wasn't what we were talking about, anyway.

Matt

Yes, I meant apply pressure with the elbows to the insides of the thighs, I think there's a pain point there that will encourage them to loosen up on the guard. About arm-breaks, I know they're not that difficult but I am inexperienced there - I know how to do the most basic variations but couldn't necessarily pull them off when it mattered - my best success on the ground has always been achieving favorable position and then striking.

hmmm, I can't think of a real good reason for following my opponent to the ground. Now I have a superior position, I can use my feet on all his vital parts while the majority of my own are out of reach.....

A hypothectical addendum to the original post.

Let's say he's either hopped up on PCP etc., or is suffering from mential illness,
    Both being delusional and aggrressive.

You want to restrain him so that he doesn't hurt others, yet do not want him to be severely injured in the process.

just a thought...