Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Point Sparring is self defeating

Fatherdog - I agree that all those need to be worked.

And I would also agree that rules such as stopping after the point is scored encourage people to do things such as flying backfists, and that could be habit forming, as well as a complete waste of time.

So yeah, in that sense point sparring is pretty, er, pointless.

But I do think that medium and light continuous sparring are useful tools for training bridging techs, rhythm, timing, and just trying out new things, without the threat of a broken nose or something. Following successful application in this "safe" arena they can then be tried in an "unsafe" arena ie. full contact sparring.

I think I misunderstand people's dislike of point sparring as a dislike of any non- full contact sparring, and that is the context in which my previous comments were made.

Shouldn't assume such things really.
    Last edited by scotty1; 01-05-2003 at 11:46 AM.

Close as compared to not close?

Originally posted by [Censored]
    even in kung fu they teach you to point sparrr first "you must crawl before you walk"

More like "you must run before you jump". Does that make sense to you? Don't answer.

Actually, point sparring is closer to reality than full-contact. You train for points, and points are exactly what you get. Not like training to kill, and then stopping at a TKO.

Point sparring is self-reinforcing. Fighting is self-defeating. Pick up a dictionary, folks.

Happy New Year!
    With the exception of techs, the strategy, entropy and unscripted nature of fighting is nothing like either. If you do MAs then you are training to fight first and foremost. All the esoteric BS is relative, and many never, ever gain anything but some sense of understanding their physicality as it applies to a limited format--- like sparring. Sparring is for beginners and grappling arts where you need the feel of your opponent. Sparring in the striking arts is for gaining Ma-ai (combat distance), and becoming acclimated to getting hit. it is self-defeating at the higher levels and trains many, many bad habits. Self-preservation has nothing to do with sparring at the higher levels.

Sparring in tournaments is very self-defeating, but if you think that point-sparring is more real than full-contact then you have only point-sparred. Even the greats like Joe Lewis and Bill wallace stated the fact that when full-contact came about, only a few point-guys could make the transition. Different animal. Still fighting is a starving, maniacal grizzly, nhb is a gloved and muzzled black bear, full-contact is a mean chihuahua and sparring is a cute little kitty!

Wow, there are a lot of folks on this forum who are young, inexperienced or just none-too-swift. Just b/c you say it or want it to be true doesn't make it so. So oh-fuc k your o-pinions if they are based on feelings vs. reality and no-how.

Go train smart and properly and don't think that sparring is even the beginning of the remedy for wimpitis! It's one very limited tool. Research, diligence and work, these are the keys. Lates...
    Don't mistake my kindness for weakness...

Exclamation stop!

ok so you do all this traing for one fight then you get badly hurt and can't train no more something that you love to do is now gone
    GOD OF WAR

Arrow yo you got balls

Originally posted by Machimurasan

With the exception of techs, the strategy, entropy and unscripted nature of fighting is nothing like either. If you do MAs then you are training to fight first and foremost. All the esoteric BS is relative, and many never, ever gain anything but some sense of understanding their physicality as it applies to a limited format--- like sparring. Sparring is for beginners and grappling arts where you need the feel of your opponent. Sparring in the striking arts is for gaining Ma-ai (combat distance), and becoming acclimated to getting hit. it is self-defeating at the higher levels and trains many, many bad habits. Self-preservation has nothing to do with sparring at the higher levels.

Sparring in tournaments is very self-defeating, but if you think that point-sparring is more real than full-contact then you have only point-sparred. Even the greats like Joe Lewis and Bill wallace stated the fact that when full-contact came about, only a few point-guys could make the transition. Different animal. Still fighting is a starving, maniacal grizzly, nhb is a gloved and muzzled black bear, full-contact is a mean chihuahua and sparring is a cute little kitty!

Wow, there are a lot of folks on this forum who are young, inexperienced or just none-too-swift. Just b/c you say it or want it to be true doesn't make it so. So oh-fuc k your o-pinions if they are based on feelings vs. reality and no-how.

Go train smart and properly and don't think that sparring is even the beginning of the remedy for wimpitis! It's one very limited tool. Research, diligence and work, these are the keys. Lates...

this is what you above rigth well let look at a great figther like ali he was the best boxer of all time look at the price he paid for it he can hardly talk so if you want full contact than go right on
    to ouote you on this "Go train smart and properly and don't think that sparring is even the beginning of the remedy for wimpitis! It's one very limited tool. Research, diligence and work, these are the keys. Lates..." but you forgot one thing that make a figther a figther it the mind all this train with out a focus mind your training is bs
    GOD OF WAR

Originally posted by FatherDog
    I don't really have much to say about the point, since SevenStar has already done a pretty good job of pointing out the fallacies in the argument.

I just thought I'd mention that Hatebreed is absolutely one of the worst bands I have ever heard.
    hatebreed is one of the best underground bands around
    GOD OF WAR

A focused mind and a good flying backfist will make you a good fighter?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by hatebreed
    oy dude i do live in the bronx and i do do sport karate because it has the safe and usefull way to learn figthing skills even in kung fu they teach you to point sparrr first "you must crawl before you walk"
    So, you point spar FIRST, because you have to crawl, right? first implies a basic - a beginning. From there you move on to more advanced things. But, yet and still, point sparring is THE way to train, right? you're contradicting yourself
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Exclamation yo what up kid you slow

ok i learn that to be the best one must train hard right no that not it you must train right to be the best point sparring is good for street figthing do to one thing timing it teachs timing if you use a back fits and it no good it the timing in full contact you hit hit hit and hit untill someone fall this is real fullcontact figthing what you call ful contact is heavy point sparring
    GOD OF WAR

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter