Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Qi Gong

Questions about Qi Gong

I just recently started praticing Qi Gong and I had few questions about it. I heard that the best time to do Qi Gong was at 4 am in the morning, is this true? Also I heard that ejaculation will weaken your Chi, what about if you ejaculate during the night will that still weaken your chi? Thanks for all your help.

hey dm-

time of day does effect your own energy paterns and it also effects the gongs themselves dependent on their aims.

my humble suggestion is that you follow the training regimen laid out for your practice. If your teacher says "do this gong at 4:00 am" then do that gong at 4.

with time and practice, you will start to have more and more awareness internally and externally of what the gongs are doing for you and you will start to understand the earth energies and how they affect the gongs as practiced.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

different skills can be trained at different times according to qigong theory. for example: my qigong i train between 5-7am and 5-7pm, as these times are good for the lungs and kidneys.

But what i think is more important, especially if just beginning, is to make it a regular part of your schedule - whatever time you can do it. For me its usuallay in the morning first thing and last thing at night, like brushing my teeth - that way i dont forget

but as kung lek said: if you have a sifu, ask his.her advice, as they will surely know the skill they are teaching you better than somoene on an internet forum does...

good health and good luck,
    dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Well put Dawood
    I will always be a student

Thumbs up

Simply put,good early&morning.
    Bad at night.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Qi Gong

Kung Lek I have to agree with you, you should follow the regime your Sifu gives you.

Many people say that the morning time is the best, this isn't completely true. There are specific times for different types of qi gongs or effects. If you look at the Chinese clock for the flow of qi in the organs you will see how different organs are effected at certain times of day. Just as Dezhen2001 mentioned.

again, it depends on what u wanna accomplish and achieve. for example, some good times to train are 11pm-1am, 11am-1pm, 5am-7am and 7pm-7pm... depending on what to do.

my hard qigong avoids both 11-1 hours and focusses more on the 5-7 times... yet my wild goose can be trained at any time.

also for example, i used to suffer from insomnia and found it very hard to sleep. But after repeated training of soft qigong and meditation before bed, this helped me to sleep better.

so its not so clear as night = bad and morning = good. it depends on who you are, what you want to achieve, what times you have available and many other things.

really in my opinion - i would just take it easy and train whenever you can, but ask your sifu first and get his/her advice

As for the whole ejeculation thing it also depends on what you want to do. Its something natural so why can that be bad? The idea is to balance things and not be extreme one way or the other as that can cause problems.

just my thoughts

dawood

Kidney problems

As for ejaculation, this is said to cause one to lose qi. Though, as I have learned it, sex itself is a good thing, it helps build your energy. This may sound a little personal, but I have learned a certain technique which allows for sex, but doesn't cause you to lose your qi. I will say this much you don't ejaculate........I guess that blows the whole reason then! LOL! This was taught to me by my Qi Gong master when I was having kidney problems (back pains).
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Hmmmm

Between the times of 3-5 am are the best times to do internal exercise because this is the TCM body clock time for the lungs. 5-7 am is the time for the Large Intestines Dezhen, and NOT the Lungs. So Dezhen if your lifestyle permits it it might be worthwhile bring ig your practice back a bit.

Plus Qi is not lost when ejaculating, one is merely depleting Jing, i.e. our constitutional health reserves. There are a lot of ways how we may injure our Qi namely, fasting, exposure to exetreme or prolonged weather conditions, over work, under-sleep, emotional imbalances or excesses. Jing is however the foundation for our post-natal Qi i.e. that which develop ourselves ny our selves for our selves throughout life as opposed to Pre-natal qi which is that which we get from our parents.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

thanks for the clarification RM, an error on my own understanding. i do know that the lungs and large intestine are related however, so its good to clear that up

dawood

11. Thumbs up

I think it would be safe to say to not practice at night,which is considered generally as a bad time to exercise.
    Also no wonder why Chinese do their tai ji/gong in the morning.
    Personally,I cannot imagine dragging myself up around 4AM for any practice lol (Late night)
    And neither do I have specific gong sets for lungs,kidneys,heart etc. (Notice the sarcasm)

My opinion on ejaculation is that if you do not-
    then there may be additional problems behind,and it will happen regardless.
    Of course as in anything,too much is bad.
    No wonder taoists actually developed their own sex practices (also known to have heavily influenced tcm and therefore,qi-gong-tao I mean)

Just a few cents to add.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

its not actually that bad to getup so early, as if you have a good rest its cool. me for example: after i train, i do my morning salat (prayer) and then i can study and things for a few hours before university classes start. That way i get more study done. so it has advantages and dis-advantages. it depends if you like to stay up late or not

dawood

Dezhen

You're absolutely right about a relationship between the Lungs and Large Intestines. From the 5-Element side of Chinese Medicne and from the Taoist perspective, both organs are considered to make up the Metal element in the body. Both their functions are that of receiving in beneficial matter and releasing waste materials in the body. The lungs are the more heavenly aspect hence being the Yin metal organ and the Large Intestines are more denser thus being the Yang Metal organ. However they are also connected because the Lung deep pathway meridian i.e. the part of the meridian that is not on the surface of the skin and that dives deeper into the tissue and organs of the body, goes right down through to the large intestine organ itself. This is the reason why in 5-element TCM people ask why are certain organs grouped together, and its usually due to the deep pathway meridians.
    I know this explanantion is probably more than you wanted but its information all the same.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

RM: thanks a lot!

like i said before i dont know terribly much qigong theory, only the basics, so this is all good to add to my knoweledge. i was aware of the 5 element relationship, but not exactly why

dawood

any handy websites for more info?

strike!