Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sup luk dong

melty

Flying High, hehehehe hey you hurt your spine doing TTFC and yuil ma?!

you have to much ging, also does anyone here practise the same sup luk thats in real kung fu magazine or is there many versions like bak mei jik bo kuen?

FT

hey FT,

no, actually kung fu is the only thing that has kept my spine together. pain is a great motivator. so is forced immobility. grrrrrrr

every 16 i've seen or discussed seems to be the same.

Ao qin,

when my master demonstrates the hand on a steel table, all of us want to be able to use it as a spear. then we try it on stuff and look like the keystone cops.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Smile Keystone Cops?

Hi FT - yes indeed, one and the same.

MD - are you saying that you step forward with the right leg and punch with the right hand (same leg forward as the arm)? Also, how does your Sifu demonstrate the hand on the steel table? And, what do "Keystone Cops" look like?

I also attach weight to my arms when doing the form - amazing feeling of "heavy" power of course - later when they are off, the arms are quite "springy".

Toodles

Ao qin:

" - are you saying that you step forward with the right leg and punch with the right hand (same leg forward as the arm)?"

yes, before each turn.

" Also, how does your Sifu demonstrate the hand on the steel table?"

he strikes it with his fingertips. i was referrring back to your comment about biu ji.

" And, what do "Keystone Cops" look like?"

goofy, bumbling and ineffectual!!
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Ao Qin,
    Interesting alternative opening. We don't do it, so thanks for the tip.

Meltdawn,
    Just like Ao Qin, i have learnt something about the bridging potential in Biu Ji.
    I must now reconsider under this new perspective all the variations on the"biuji/quti lop sao chung choy" sequence...

Do you all also practice "7 moves" systematically after 16?

Cheers

Well Said Melty

I just wanted to chime in, good post Melty.

yum cha, thank you!

Narval,

the bridge lock and kill pattern is in everything, IMHO. biu ji/so sau/ straight punch or palm/brace/chung choi

when you say 7 moves, i guess i don't understand what you mean, the 7 hands? we drill some combinations, yes.
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Meltdawn,
    For me "7 moves" is a short zig zag set which goes like this :
    1/ sokiu (to the left) - 2/ lop sao double puch (to the right) - 3/ kaobi (to the left) - 4/ samtong (to the right) - 5/ moycop (to the left) - 6/ lamda (ahead) - 7/ chungchoy (ahead).
    Please forgive my spelling (both in english and phonetic cantonese...).
    Cheers.

Narval

nice. here's our variation: step left, straight punch; step right, mor cup; step left, lam da; step right, soy kiu. now take it backwards. then reverse the direction. when you start with straight punch with right hand, look which side lam da has to come out. look how mor cup sets it up. i think i have to stop talking now. this ****'s so ****ing cool!!!
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

7 loose hands

Hey Narval...something in common! We call this sequence the 7 "loose" hands. There is just a very small variation in our two methods.

Cheers, R

Smile Chut Sing

Hello all,

I must say, I am very happy to be part of such a wonderful discussion on this subject!

I'm not quite sure we've quite exhausted the Sup Luk Dong discussion - but if we must move on, we must move on.

Before we do so however, I will also say that whensoever I find a new student / training partner both eager and worthy to start their study of Dragon Style, (after the required conditioning drills, etc. of course) I always think (and sometimes say) before we start, and with a certain amount of nostalgia / relish - "this is how we begin..."

Anyway, "Chut Sing San Sow", or as I understand it, "Seven Hand Movements", is:

(L) Lop Sao, (R) Soy Kiew (step out r. leg, then l) - Smash Bridge
    Boi Gim (Draw Sword)
    Kow Pek (Grab, Chop)
    Sam Tong (Three Ideas, or more esoterically...)
    Mor Cup (Touch Cover), grab...
    Lam Da (you guess!)
    Jong Choi (et. al)

This is only the beginning of course, and perhaps the end, of Dragon Style. Seven movements, "extrapolated" 7 to the 7th, etc.

This is at the very least worthy of a new thread!!!

Cheers - Ao Qin
    Last edited by Ao Qin; 01-20-2003 at 07:46 PM.

16 & 7

The 'seven movements' as read from the posts here seems familiar to me as and of movements which naturally follow on from each other, but I for one have not been taught or practiced this as a short 'set' on its own.
    On the other hand I was taught a short stepping/blocking/striking/turning set before Sup Luk Dong.
    Personally, I found that Sup Luk Dong came relatively smoothly, especially after the initial set.
    What were/are others taught after Sup Luk Dong in terms of a following set?

Nice to see the dragons enjoying themselves

Though maybe a little late in the seen I just thought the link below to the FutSan LongYing which puts a few pictures to the written descriptions.

16 Dong:
    http://www.huangfeihong.com.cn/fskf/show3-6+1.htm

Key tecniques are explainedin detail below :
    http://www.huangfeihong.com.cn/fskf/show3-6+2.htm

SamTongGuoKiu and LongYingMoKiu to come soon also.

enjoy

Regards
    Wu Chan Long
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 01-21-2003 at 09:20 AM.

Shaolin Master,

my master is aware that the Huang Fei Hung association has incorporated some dragon into it's curriculum. I am not able to view Chinese on my computer right now, does it say who is the Futshan teacher?

this 16 is not ours. similar, but not same. now i understand why Kevin might have asked about the lead leg fore and punch, as it is not in this set; it comes after biu ji, then so sau, which is also not in this set.

Feirce Tiger asked if any of us had the same as in Real Kung Fu. there was an old issue with Lee Ka Yiu who is a very well known master in Hong Kong, and ours is the same as that set.

it will be interesting to also see how they are teaching sarm tone and the mor kiu.
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Meltdown,

The teacher's name is 'Ceng Gen' who came to FoShan in 1966 and is currently 78 years old. He studied LongXing towards the latter years of LumYu Guai's life.

Ceng Gen commenced learning Choy Li Fut at age 10 and then studiedEagle's Claw before finally studying Dragon Style with Lum Yu Guai. Some of his notable disciples of Dragon include LieZhang, Pan Jiang, Liang Qiou etc......

There are other teachers of LongXing in Futshan unrelated to Ceng Gen.

Regarding disimilarities. I have only seen 3 variations so it doesn't change much at all in comparison to say BM's Jek Bo.

The Real Kung Fu Magazine I have seen some I think,oneof my students back home had a copy I saw the Sup lok Dong which appeared the same as I was familiar with, but there was another issue with Long Xing Mo Qiao and that one seemed to be an abridged version as it removed many reptitions and structures (I think performed by LYG's son). Memory is vague tough as it was many years ago.