Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kung fu represented at a fairly recent MMA event

so why does everyone site the guy for why kf sucks in ufc?
    where's my beer?

the clinch

If the rules are really open, I think sanda has the advantage in the clinch. MT has the knees but Sanda trains for throws, it's one reason I think whoever it was on the last page who mentioned sanda and BJJ would go together, was on the money. A better match than MT and BJJ IMHO.

Less adapting would be required. The hands are already more like boxing than MT and in they are already trained to catch kicks and throw the other guy down. I just recently watched a 'propaganda piece' called "Sanda vs. Karate". It was a VCD of a big invitiational where a bunch of Japanese fighters came over and competed with the Chinese fighters. I call it propaganda because, although it wasn't fixed, if the Japanese fighters did well they wouldn't have made a VCD of the tournament.

Anyways, I got to see one guy actually dive in and grab the Japanese fighter around the waist, arch over backwards (twisting at the end) and piledrive the guy head first into the ground, ending the fight. Very cool.

today's MT has alot of boxing. There are also takedowns, though they're not used in competition. kick catching is also practiced very regularly.

The difference in the clinch is how it's used. MT uses it for elbows and knees - few takedowns, while san shou primarily uses it for throws.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter