View Poll Results: What is your current in/ex-ternal %?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% either on external or internal

2 5.71%
  • 10% external and 90% internal

1 2.86%
  • 20% external and 80% internal

0 0%
  • 30% external and 70% internal

3 8.57%
  • 40% external and 60% internal

4 11.43%
  • 50% external and 50% internal

6 17.14%
  • 60% external and 40% internal

5 14.29%
  • 70% external and 30% internal

4 11.43%
  • 80% external and 20% internal

7 20.00%
  • 90% external and 10% internal

3 8.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: internal or external?

I would say I'm at about 60% internal/ 40% external right now. Like Gouhen, my practice has become more internal as I get older.

Merryprankster, I think that BJJ is more internal than most give it credit for. Alot of emphasis on relaxing, flowing, and sensitivity as you get better at it.

That reminds me, didn't you start a thread some time ago about boxers doing fa-jing? You might be a "closet internalist"!
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

BJJ

Come on Cheese-dog my BJJ friend excepts the fact that BJJ is 100% external. When I showed how much we relax at out Taiji school, he couldn't match it and exclaimed that at that softness all you'd get was twisted up into a pretzel. So I said for him to attack me with what ever he wanted.

He still practices BJJ with great enthusiasm and by all accounts is good at it, but without wanting to blow my own trumpet he has now started Taiji at our school too now. I found with such abilities as sticking alone I have been able to circumvent both his attacks and my Wing Chun friends without too much effort. However I am also wonderfully surprised when I get trounced by a totally external technique too.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Smile How I think of it

There are a few question I would ask myself about how I catagorize internal and external:

Do I value more on the long term(what is eternal) or short term(what is now) gains?

Would I give up my believe because of the environment or do I change the environment based on what I believed?

Do I value more about what a move can do to the others more than the meaning of the move itself?

Should my thoughts, feelings, fits the purpose or the purpose fits the thoughts and feelings?

Well, if you get confused, I am sorry aobut that, I hope I can put them in Chinese, it may serve better.

I am only an internalist if the fact that I don't care makes me one. It's fighting.

To RM. Ok. I'm glad you're good at what you do. Could you be a little more arrogant and elitist though?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Well, I am only interested in having a genuine way of defending myself as a foundation and enrich my living on top of that. I don't want to think of who can I defeat and when. That doesn't enrich my life the way I want it.

Smile

paullin: i have not seen you on this forum for a long time... hope you are well there and have a good new year

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Smile

I don't have much time for internet lately, I have so much to do. thanks for asking.

AND HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO, AND AS WELL AS TO ALL MY FELLOW MARTIAL ARTS HERE

gong xi fa cai!
    i should be working on pc but spend too much time here

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.