Thread: Greco Roman wrestling and Ju - Jitsu

Greco Roman wrestling and Ju - Jitsu

I am currentley a folk style wrestler (the style all jr highs, high schools, and colledges use), and I plan on starting Greco Roman wrestling in the summer. I heard that Ju - Jitsu is very similar but funner. So I am considering starting tat in the summer and holding off Greco Roman wrestling untill the summer of 2004. What is the difference between the two and personally which one do you consider "funner".

Greco-Roman wrestling is primarily about impressive, high-amplitude throws, and hand-fighting from the clinch. Because of the way the rules and scoring goes, it will not give you nearly as much time wrestling and moving around on the ground as folkstyle or BJJ.

BJJ is largely about submissions on the ground. The takedowns are a bit weak compared to wrestling or Judo, and sparring often starts on the knees instead of the feet. You'll spend a lot of time on the ground, working for submissions.

Which one is "funner" depends on what you, personally, consider more fun. If you like high amplitude throws and suplays, you'll probably enjoy Greco Roman more. If you like ground-work more, BJJ might be more your cup of tea.

Where are you located? Depending on where you are, I might be able to direct you to a catch wrestling place. It involves submissions and groundfighting similar to BJJ, but the style is closer to folkstyle wrestling, so it might be better suited to you.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

I live in Lorain, Ohio.

Thumbs up

This may not be what you meant but I cannot resist pointing out that jujitsu (jujutsu by correct spelling) is a traditional Japanese martial art,techniques vary from striking to various grappling techs,and then to weapon work.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

since he's a wrestler, my guess would be that he meant jiu jitsu, in which case, I agree with FD
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Seven.

Jiu Jitsu is just a bad spelling of JuJutsu.

Jitsu & Jutsu are 2 different words/Kanji and have completely different meanings, one is martial the other is not.

Ju vs Jiu depends on which system of romanization you use.
    Jiutsu vs Jutsu is the same as above.

But in japanese there is NO word "JuJitsu" or "JiuJitsu".

Kinda like saying "Apple wrestling" style.

hi ppl
    sorry for hijacking this thread
    just wondering
    is there a good wrestling style in australia anyone would recommend?
    mainly a wrestling stlye that has great takedowns and slamming to the ground.

Greco Roman, it is all about throws.

Originally posted by Laughing Cow
    Seven.

Jiu Jitsu is just a bad spelling of JuJutsu.

Jitsu & Jutsu are 2 different words/Kanji and have completely different meanings, one is martial the other is not.

Ju vs Jiu depends on which system of romanization you use.
    Jiutsu vs Jutsu is the same as above.

But in japanese there is NO word "JuJitsu" or "JiuJitsu".

Kinda like saying "Apple wrestling" style.
    Yeah, I know. But jiu jitsu is the accepted spelling of the Brazilian style, even though it's not correct.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

It depends on the style of JJ. The US Ju-Jitsu Federation ( www.usjujitsu.net ), the Governing Body for Ju-Jitsu in the US and the Ju-Jitsu International Federation, the World Governing Body for Ju-Jitsu ( www.jjifweb.com ) spell it Ju-Jitsu.

But thats not to say it is THE way to spll it. Just as its pointed out, the word is translated to english.

You will find that there were other organizations spelling it Jiu-Jitsu long before BJJ exploded here in the US. Although it is the one most recognized as being spelled that way.

As far as the origional question. Look into Judo, the competition works well with a wrestling back ground.

I would also reccomend some of the other reccomendations (BJJ, GJJ, Catch Wrestling)

Friday, whereabouts in Australia are you?