Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kung Fu! Backwards or forwards?

What if you train to stand front on?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by yenhoi
    "Back in the day" training traditional WCK it was a big deal to train both sides as equally as possible, open and closed guard with either leg forward.
    when I think of open and closed guard, I think of grappling. What is it in terms of wc?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Its like this:

your in a boxing stance:
    right leg forward, right arm forward - open guard
    right leg forward, left arm forward - closed guard
    and so on with the left leg, etc.

Everything was trained in all four of these positions. Eventually you kinda just flow from one to the other, when its better to be in that particular position.

Kinda like open and closed four count combos in thai boxing if that rings a bell in your school.

strike!

Having read all these posts, I can only tell you:

-Kung Fu is not for the impatient.

-You can learn to fight quickly in any martial art, all you need is the "heart" to do so and it doesn't take years.

-You don't need to strip anything away. This action comes from impatience and inability to understand what is there.

-There are poor teachers in every field of study

-The are poor students in every field of study.

-The Truth of Kungfu is found in the doing.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kung Fu! Backwards or forwards?

A while back systems of Kung Fu evolved as people found better methods for doing the same thing, or got beaten by people with better methods.

Seems to me that most Kung Fu people seem to be scrabbling backwards in an attempt at Historical recreation of something that 'might' have been, rather than learning and evolving. War-Gaming?

Look at JKD. Some of the guys are continually shifting and stripping things down to rebuild them much the same way as early Kung Fu people did. Yet some JKD guys have been caught up in trying to recreate what Bruce did or Inosanto did 20 years ago.

Where are we going to be in 20 years?

Still trying to remember stuff other people learned a thousand years ago for the "arts" sake, or working hard, progressing and doing Kung Fu?

You can train BJJ, or Thai, or Karate, or Tae Bo, but it will always be part of your Kung Fu won't it?

Tell me I'm wrong!

__________________________________________________ __

Thanks KL,

That almost brought things back on track.

Do me a favour guys, flick yourself in the baLLs, brush away the tears, and read the original post (above) again.

There are plenty of people out there with the will to make a difference, but where's the direction coming from?

Are we evolving or dissolving?

Someone kick my soapbox
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then
    PROCEEDED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH , AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

AndyM

You're Wrong!