Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sifus, When are they of age?

MiamiMantis Guest

Sifu title

Northern mantis is slow right now, thought I'd check out this forum. You think being a Sifu is bad?. You have plenty of people who call themselves Master or GrandMaster with about the same amount of training. Personally I believe you shouldn't get the title of Sifu until you are at least in your mid 20's. I have been in Wahlum Praying Mantis for over 10 years training 3 days a week, and next year I will attempt my test. I don't believe skill goes with age. If you had a kid who was a expert marksman at 10 years old, would you let him carry a gun around all the time because he is an "expert"?. Of course not because emmotional inside he is still a 10 year old and will stilll act like a 10 year old. Get my point?. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: [img]null[/img]

NorthernMantis Guest
    You tell 'em Miami Mantis. :D :D :D

The title "Sifu" comes with age and dedication.it takes years to achieve such a geat deal undrstandng and hard work.It takes years to fully understand kung fu and the the theory of tachniques.That's why I feel I don't have what it takes to be a Sifu.

"Always be ready"

danny from miami Guest

miamimantis

only 3 days a week? tisk tisk..

Shaolindynasty Guest

MiamiMantis

Why in the mid 20's?

Witness the Dynasty!!!
    www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com

MiamiMantis Guest

Sifu age

I believe by then you are emmotionally mature, and you can handle the business side of running a school. Being a sifu, people look up to you and will ask your advice on not only training but on other topics, as they respect your thoughts. :D :D :D

mysteri Guest

my opinion...

FYI- i began my martial arts training when i was 9 y.o. in TKD. i am now 18 y.o. and have been training in the jow ga style for over the last two years. as a child myself, i would honestly have to say that at 19, one's kung fu skill and knowledge might be extraordinary! i actually have a sihing who is 1 and has been training kung fu since he was 4 y.o. under the same sifu. he's sure one hell of an instructor. but, theoretically, if i was to start over and meet him first, would i honestly consider him to be my SiFu? i mean he's barely old enough to operate a car by himself. much less buy a pack of cigarettes or a 12 pk of beer. not to take away from any of his aquired skills or knowledge of the world, but i honestly myself couldn't allow myself to be called a SiFu at this age. even if i was in it since i could first walk and talk. i am all for anyone, with the blessings of their sifu, opening up a school and teaching. but for your own sake, with that title comes the territory. either expect all the responsibilities of a sifu or leave that title in the closet for a couple of more years. also expect a lot more trouble headed your way for those ignorant enough to challenge your validity. good luck to you though and god bless you in your efforts.

mysteri Guest

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

if a 40 y.o. man with 9 years of solid kung fu experience was mandated by his teacher to go out and start his own school, would you support or recommend him being considered a sifu if his sifu gave him this title? this is jus theoretical based on the question raised in this forum. (let's see what kinda responses we get now!)

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Most definitely - if he could fight effectively using the classical concepts of his chosen style.

The ability of a true traditional kung fu master is unmistakeable. Their jing is such that when they touch you, you KNOW.

If a guy can manifest such power, I don't care how young or old he is - I want to learn how to do the same thing.

Shaolindynasty Guest
    1st post Mysteri- I don't think buying beer and cigaretes(can do in this state legally, driving cars(can do at age 16 in IL) has anything to do with my Kungfu teaching. As a matter of fact if I was buying cigaretes and drinking beer alot that would have a negative effect on my Kungfu wouldn't it.

2st post Mysteri- That is one of my reasons for this post. I believe that the reason people object to a younger person using the title Sifu has just to do with the fact they feel more comfortable with an older person. Therefore people may go to a person with the same martial arts experience just because he is older. I do want to see more responces to that question!

Some of you guys have the wrong idea of a Sifu. A sifu shouldn't have or give you all the answers. A good Sifu needs to teach you how to search and learn on your own. There shouldn't be a point you stop learning/training and just teach. I believe your kungfu should evolve. This means there are many grades of Sifu. Some Sifu may have a higher level of kungfu than others but that is ok. The sifu's job is just to point the way. I believe that age or the number of years of training aren't as important as the Sifu's understanding of what he is teaching. I continue to learn from my Sifu and when my students have 5 years of experience I will have an additional 5 of experience added to me. This raises an even more interesting question if Kungfu is so endless how can even the best Sifu be considered "advanced".

Witness the Dynasty!!!
    New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net