Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaolin Do

billy_pilgrim Guest

True

Can't argue with that. I'll admit to being slightly PO'd at the reaction tnwingtsun got for sharing his opinion. I've said what I think of SD, but let me add, that, I'm sure some of them certainly can fight, I mean, I know several karatekas who can fight. Just about anything can be effective if you devote the time to it.

reemul Guest

mmmm....

To Lost_Disciple: Interresting monkey theory, but seeing as I seem to have success against MMA guys, I find your theory flawed. Systems have the ability to make great practioners, doesn't mean everyone will become so. That goes for MMA and NHB as well as so call "traditionals".

To Cho, Yep that pretty much sums it up. I don't care about what they practice, but call it what it is. There are many MA that I don't think highly of however I respect them because they don't try to pass it off as something its not.

Storme Guest

Apologies

Hey everyone,

First of all, I want to apologize for inciting this thread. I meant to disrespect to anyone nor did I intend to start any bickering/*****ing, etc. on this board on this topic. I was just curious why an art would receive so much contempt and contention from other pratitioners of other arts.

My opinions are not the same as anyone else's and probably never will be the same but they're mine nonetheless. I am entitled to them but there is a limit, especially when my opinion is derogatory and plain rude toward others. I have seen a lot of that kind of "opinion" on this board, especially when Shaolin Do is concerned. In my humble opinion, I don't think that's right.

I am not here to change other people's minds nor am I here to try to get others to change mine. I just want to know why one art gets so much grief. Questions on the validity of the teachings and lineage are acceptable questions. I understand that. I have these types of questions too, not just about martial arts. I question the validity of a lot of things. But as many questions as I have (on religion for example) I don't make personal remarks about it - like the appearance of the founder, etc. Those are uncalled for and unncessary.

Yes, I do practice Shaolin Do. Call it what you will but I like it. I am healthier than I've ever been and I'm in better shape now than I was 9 months ago. Best of all, it's fun and I've met a lot of very cool people through it. I won't stop what I'm doing but I'm not going to try and get others to stop what they're doing and take up Shaolin Do either. Some of the posts in reply to my initial question has advised that I do what I like and enjoy. I think that is best and everyone should do that as well. To each his own.

Again, I'm sorry if my asking this one simple question annoyed anyone and I'm definitely sorry if my one simple question renewed the bickering on this board. That was not my intent.

Respectfully,
    Storme

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yung Ng
    stormesixx@yahoo.com
    www.happyshmoo.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To conquer others is to have power; to conquer yourself is to know the way.

Fu-Pow Guest
    We don't care if you do Shaolin-Do or Hong Kong Fuey. But please...just call it what it is....Kempo/Kenpo Karate. That is all we ask of you and all we ask of Sin The.

Fu-Pow

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
    CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting