Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterboxing (6 harmonies & 8 methods) project?

> What's the general order of progression?<

In what manner?
    Actually, I think I was just repeating myself, lol. What's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Basically someday, maybe in a couple of years, I'd like to move somewhere else and get out of Ohio, so I just kind of check to see what's offered in other cities. Right now, I have access to an excellent teacher of Xingyi, Bagua, & Taiji and I'm curious how well what I learned from him could translate over to LHBF if I were to end up in Chicago.

SwimmingDragon- I like the Terry W. quote.

Brad- Who's your teacher? Are you a Wu-Tan person?
    "Speed knots are our greatest teachers"

"I specialize in Kuoshu and Ghetto Diction"
    BaldMonk, from the Baldy Chronicles Volume III Chapter IV

My teacher's An Tian Rong. We're not Wu-Tan

Hi, Brad.

>Actually, I think I was just repeating myself, lol. What's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.<

Not necessarily. What Choi sifu looks at first is your physical conditioning, and what particular art(s) you've been involved with over the years. Your mental state takes part in his decision as well.

For younger people he'll generally just say to start with Lama Pai. Then Hsing-I, or Taiji. Then Pa Qua, and finally LHPF. Some he'll just accept as is, and throw them into whatever class that they want.

It took me some time to convince Choi sifu to let me study LHPF. He wanted me in Hsing-I, or Lama at first. He finally gave in after I essentially just begged. :P

>Basically someday, maybe in a couple of years, I'd like to move somewhere else and get out of Ohio, so I just kind of check to see what's offered in other cities. Right now, I have access to an excellent teacher of Xingyi, Bagua, & Taiji and I'm curious how well what I learned from him could translate over to LHBF if I were to end up in Chicago.<

The only advice I can give you is to train hard, and pay attention to what's being said. Ask questions when you don't understand, then shut up, and train hard some more. Gung fu= Hard work. It ain't easy, but it's the ultimate narcissistic pursuit. Some, if not all, will translate to LHPF.
    Best regards,
    R. Drake Sansone
    (rdrakesansone@wowway.com)
    http://www.liuhopafa.com/
    "Train, or go to hell."Terry W.

Drake,

Face it, you gotta stop coat tailing on your master. Its only annoying and demeaning and embarrassing to your classmates.

I have never once seen you post without mentioning "WLC, the 'only grandmaster of LHPF', and how everyone else is fake. When you have seen everyone else, let me know.

In the mean time, the party line is just that.

Shin,

Until you can provide *any* amount of evidence to the contrary let's just agree to disagree. Jaded? Yes, I am, but I'm still willing to take into consideration that there's a *ton* of knowledge that I'm not privy to. However, until you can come up with concrete evidence to the contrary Choi sifu will be "The Man" in my mind. Internet "skirmishes" hold little interest for my these days, and I rarely post anything. If you'd like to trade information then we can do so. If not? Have a nice life.
    Last edited by swmngdragn; 02-26-2003 at 08:20 AM.
    Best regards,
    R. Drake Sansone

Originally posted by Brad

Actually, I think I was just repeating myself, lol. What's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Basically someday, maybe in a couple of years, I'd like to move somewhere else and get out of Ohio, so I just kind of check to see what's offered in other cities. Right now, I have access to an excellent teacher of Xingyi, Bagua, & Taiji and I'm curious how well what I learned from him could translate over to LHBF if I were to end up in Chicago.
    Being a current student of Sifu Choi's and having studied with him for a while, I can tell you that after a certain time and experience with the internal styles there are many similarites in all of the styles you have access to, with LHBF. There are all of the same priciples in LHBF that are in the other internal styles. Sifu Choi advocates learning LHBF first because the style contains all of the other styles priciples and techniques making the other styles easy to pick up after learning LHBF. It is a very good style that is very direct in its application, but is very, very detailed. Actually all of the internal styles when learned correctly are very detailed.

As for those giving waterdragon a hard time about his loyalty to Sifu Choi I would suggest experiencing Sifu in person. He is not only a great fighter, but more importantly a great uncompromising teacher. It is because of his great skill and great ability to teach that insipres such fierce waranted loyalty.

Just for the record. I don't study under Mr. Choi. My school does have a solid relationship with his school though, and I have had the pleasure of meeting some of his students. I got to meet Mr. Choi once as well. I think amazing would be a good word to describe him.

Also got to see some video of Mr. Choi in action once. I think awe-struck would be a good word for that.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

This site probably help.

http://www.taichichuan.co.uk/

Check taijiquan classics.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

I am an old student of Mien Chuan (Old Yang Style small frame) Taijiquan and a new student of Liu He Ba Fa and a much more ancient unheard of closed door Taoist art which pre-dates LHBF, which shall remain nameless.

Apart from all that name dropping...*LOL* errrr I find it very difficult to hold credible any person claiming to be able to master, or even "get finished", to paraphrase, with Taijiquan, Baguzhang and Hsing I before moving on to Liu He Ba Fa like it was ticking things off a list.

Taiji, Bagua and Hsing I are not arts you ever get done with or master outright. The journey just keeps going. The idea that you can whip through each art on your way to being ready for Liu He Ba Fa is just silly nonsense. Any human being of exceptional skill is capable of being exceptional in no more than two internal arts.

And if we want to get real for five minutes I might add that multiple style hopping aint a good sign.

THIS IS NOT THE WAY!

Sorry...
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

"The last sound he made was like a sparrow whistling"

Taiji, Bagua and Hsing I are not arts you ever get done with or master outright. The journey just keeps going. The idea that you can whip through each art on your way to being ready for Liu He Ba Fa is just silly nonsense. Any human being of exceptional skill is capable of being exceptional in no more than two internal arts.
    Why?

The question proves your not ready for an answer...
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

That's pretty much what I figured you'd say If you can't give explanaitions for your coments, maybe you shouldn't make them in the first place
    Last edited by Brad; 12-04-2003 at 08:05 AM.

Essentially, Brad..... Syd's correct in the fact that the "Three Sisters" are never mastered. It's an ongoing progression of training that, in itself, can take a life time. Now what I'd said. Syd, (at least in my own mind) :P, is that Brad should at least get his feet wet in one of the sisters before attempting LHPF. At least create some base for his own ongoing studies. As to your mysterious style.... Would that be Wun Cheun Yut Hay Geun? I've got a vcd of your teacher performing that set. Quite long, eh?

regards,
    Drake
    Best regards,
    R. Drake Sansone

Drake,

Thats the very one. I agree that getting feet wet is suitable but if we were to suggest that you can master the big three before moving on to LHBF, I'd say your going to have a hard time getting through one before you take that dirt nap.

Brad,

If you can't give explanaitions for your coments, maybe you shouldn't make them in the first place

Sorry mate, I thought the answer was self evident, thats all.

Best, Syd
    Last edited by Syd; 12-04-2003 at 06:50 PM.
    I am Jacks Dan Tien