Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing Chun Power

Nice information, thanks guys. Feel free to continue posting.
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

Hi RR, wingman,

BTW, I change the line not by turning myself but by turning the opponent. TN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RR writes:

I do both, as the situation dictates. If I can get control and break my opponent's structure, it's easy to turn them (among other things). If I'm not able to get that control but still need to change the line, I'll turn myself, and use the (hopefully) more advantageous position to gain control, break the structure, etc. RR

I was stating my ideal. As I said, it all depends on the moment (conditions); sometimes we can get away with shifting (ourselves) especially if we miminize our movement, haven't linked centers, etc. Everything has strengths and weaknesses -- the rub is recognizing those conditions where we can maximize its strengths and minimize its weaknesses. TN

This resonated in a WCK sense to me, since often I think, people will go for the touch (the hit they lust after), even if its speed or trick based, and not bother to properly control and break an opponent first. Sorry, droning on, just food for thought... RR

That's because many folks in WCK use a "kickboxing" mindset (hit the other guy and try not to get hit) and have no idea of the WCK mindset (join, control, finish). TN

------------

wingman writes:

Great idea! Why haven't I thought of that before? W

LOL! Sorry, I was making no assumption about you personally . . . it's just that so many just think of turning themselves rather than the opponent. Similarly, I don't for the most part use turning as a "dodge" or "evasion", and instead shift into an opponent rather than away from an opponent. TN

Terence

I still didn't see how the power of WCK comes from.

....o.k i will bite!!!!
    my wc will be.......wing chun nim kuen fatt
    "i see thy nose, but not what dog to feed it to" othello

Smile

I still didn't see how the power of WCK comes from.
    true of any art thats worth your time.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب